Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

5 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I gave my lad a number 3 earlier, it looks ok but he’s not happy at all.

The Mrs started on mine, tested on the back of my neck/head with a number 3 then a number one then gave up saying she’s not sure if it’s too short, it looks a mess. The lad reckons he’s doing it tomorrow, proper revenge cut incoming I reckon. lol 

I got my Mrs to practice on my pubes first and got a number 6 on em

2 minutes ago, EverybodyDannsNow said:

When the lockdown is lifted it will be interesting to see what becomes of the typical work office. 

For companies who have managed perfectly fine with employees working at home, would it be irresponsible of them to call workers in just so everyone can ‘work together’? Without a vaccine, surely social distancing will need to continue which would mean desks being rearranged 2 metres apart?  

Seems a rather unnecessary risk to me. If you can work from home with no problems at all, then you shouldn’t need to be exposed to a busy commute and a crowded office before we have a vaccine in my opinion. Will be interesting to see what the Government’s guidance on that is - if there is any. 

On this, we may see more roles becoming based at home on a permanent basis I think. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EverybodyDannsNow said:

When the lockdown is lifted it will be interesting to see what becomes of the typical work office. 

For companies who have managed perfectly fine with employees working at home, would it be irresponsible of them to call workers in just so everyone can ‘work together’? Without a vaccine, surely social distancing will need to continue which would mean desks being rearranged 2 metres apart?  

Seems a rather unnecessary risk to me. If you can work from home with no problems at all, then you shouldn’t need to be exposed to a busy commute and a crowded office before we have a vaccine in my opinion. Will be interesting to see what the Government’s guidance on that is - if there is any. 

I think the initial advice will remain - if you can work from home then do so. Those that can’t should be able to go back with social distancing and measures in place.

I’d expect a lot of people going into offices unnecessarily. I worked from home at least once a week prior to all of this happening but in the week prior to the lockdown when the government advised people to work from home if they could, my employer really seemed to dig their heels in and do everything they could to delay it. 

Im a developer, I don’t need / want to talk to people or be in meetings for meetings sake.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, nnickn said:

Gilead reporting that they have a drug which works within 7 days in trials, could be a turning point, shares up over 10% in last 20 mins, so could be true.

Or they could be making a killing on their share price ! 

seems a bit quick to have decent results although I just read the reports from Chicago and they look encouraging - remember this isn’t a vaccine but a treatment to relieve symptoms based on the drug used to treat Ebola. Looks like it reduced the mortality rate on intubated patients to 25% on a previous study

Edited by st albans fox

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/early-peek-at-data-on-gilead-coronavirus-drug-suggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/

Only 2 out of 113 "severe" patients tested in a Chicago trial of the drug died so far according to this article died. Most of the other 111 (plus an extra 12 non-severe patients) have already been discharged.

Way too small a survey to draw anything from currently but certainly promising results.

Edited by Sampson

4 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Much more quiet down my street tonight for the old NHS clap, had a feeling it would be for some reason. 

Oddly enough sounded much louder around my way tonight.

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Anyone else saving a lot more money due to all this? It puts into perspective how much I actually spend on take aways, booze, football and just shite in general.

Cancelled BT Sport, paused Sky Sports, gym membership also paused, not filling the car up, a "big shop" once a week costing much less than the usual several smaller ones - all adds up to savings. Then again, not earning a penny right now isn't so good. Pension pot and ISA savings taken a massive hit this year but they'll go up again. Swings and roundabouts though. Unprecedented times, just got to crack on through.

4 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Oddly enough sounded much louder around my way tonight.

Cancelled BT Sport, paused Sky Sports, gym membership also paused, not filling the car up, a "big shop" once a week costing much less than the usual several smaller ones - all adds up to savings. Then again, not earning a penny right now isn't so good. Pension pot and ISA savings taken a massive hit this year but they'll go up again. Swings and roundabouts though. Unprecedented times, just got to crack on through.

No free Sky Sports? Thought it might be have been a  perk of the job.. 

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Anyone else saving a lot more money due to all this? It puts into perspective how much I actually spend on take aways, booze, football and just shite in general.

Saving shit loads not having to get the train. I drive into London now as streets so empty, parking at hospital free for the pandemic and no congestion charge. Literally going into work in my pyjamas. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, EverybodyDannsNow said:

I work for a software company and working from home is very easy/acceptable. Before this I never did it as work is a 25 min drive and I find working from home hard with 2 young kids and no home office. However, the eldest will be at pre school from September which will make it easier.

Back to the point, I think 50% of people go into the office for convenience and could actually work from home. Saving wasted journeys and reducing pollution etc. After this I would expect to see 3 days WFH and maybe 1 or 2 days in offices for meetings or other office jobs, where possible. I joked to people about seeing them again at Christmas. Might not be that unlikely. As long as social diatancing is advised, I doubt our firm will want us back in the office unless absolutely necessary.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Facecloth said:

If you're limited to house A visiting house B and Visa versa and visiting no other houses then fine. If someone in house A has it, they only pass it B and no further. But if they visit C, D and E, and house B also visits F, G, H and I. And all those houses visit numerous other house, and so on and so on. You see what I'm getting at?

Yes, I was referring to your first point in this.

6 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Honestly. For every penny saved in fuel, kids clubs, who in the main have reduced or cancelled all payments, pausing $ky sports saved us 40 quid a month. One thing for sure is once this is over I'm on the phone to get a better deal for telly or cancel the bloody thing.

Having 2 kids home all day every day, the savings are going on extra food, and I'm not looking forward to the electricity bill with the wife on a laptop 8-5 all day most days for the last month, and 2 kids who despite our best efforts to get them out and about where we can, and in the garden as much as possible. Have managed extra tv or switch time nearly every afternoon and as a family we must have watched a film nearly every evening as it's not like we can go out.

Plus I'm not working and can't benefit from the government schemes having only filed 5 months of self employed accounts in 18/19.

From the 25th of this month the only income we have is the wife's, things are about to get tricky. Or our savings are about to take a hit.

Sooner we can get back to work, even if with social distancing the better for me, even if it's only a few hours a week, enough to put food on the table will do.

Edited by Bayfox

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yep! 

Lack of going out (including work) means less temptation to have lunch outside as well. Saving a hell of a lot on fuel too! 

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, EastAnglianFox said:

China added over a thousand deaths today? 

On a plus side it's another thousand Chinese recoveries lol

Honestly what a farce.

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Loads.

Over £100/month for a train to work, similar spend on lunches at work. Not spending at our weekly pub quiz, actually having to plan meals out in advance rather than nipping into the tesco metro every day. Haven't booked in a holiday this year like we'd normally do around now. It's all adding up. I'm lucky to be WFH on full pay (for the time being) and my partner is still going into work but has even picked up overtime on double pay (just for something to do, really) so we're managing to put way more than usual into our first-home fund and even have a 'rainy-day' savings pot on the side. 

Hopefully a few good habits there I can maintain once this whole thing comes to a close. Looking forward to 'wasting' my money on matchdays again though, of course.

19 minutes ago, MattP said:

On a plus side it's another thousand Chinese recoveries lol

Honestly what a farce.

It really is daft.

You can't bluff a natural disaster, and as such lying about this is only going to hurt in the long run. What they have done to cover this up is stupid.

Edited by leicsmac

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

It really is daft.

You can't bluff a natural disaster, and as such lying about this is only going to hurt in the long run. What they have done to cover this up is stupid.

Unreal. And people wonder why China are getting the international side eye. 

Someone on here was sticking up for the numbers, suggesting there was no reason for them to lie!