Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Sunak extends the furlough scheme to end June - this a reflection that the 45 day notice on consultation required in a redundancy procedure meant this weekend would see companies having to make a decision to release staff. So we now have the possibility that even though a relaxation of lockdown (of sorts) is introduced before end may, companies can decide its cheaper to stay shut till the end of June. 

• Like 1

Ireland now has 13,271 cases and 486 deaths. It will be updated later tonight.

I'm optimistic that we are starting to see the benefits of the restrictions in place.

Nearly half those who died have been cases in Nursing Homes and just under half of the overall cases have been in Dublin. Though there has been cases outside of the capital it seems that our death rate excluding nursing homes could have been much worse. It seems to be under 200 of the population under 60 have died and most of the country outside Dublin has been spared. ICU capacity looks to have fallen and though testing like everywhere is an ongoing issue the health of the nation is quite good. Certainly better than what was reported pre-Covid.

We have been in lockdown for 3 weeks and have another 2 weeks to go. The lockdown was extended to May 5 (just after the May Bank Holiday). It's looking likely that there could be an ease of restrictions in certain areas from that point on. Any potential second wave and we will have restrictions once more I suspect.

Denmark and Austria have started to open up so given the similarities in population we could follow suit.

It was always gonna be a time of unease given the uncertainty of it all but there is a glimmer of hope.

Edited by Blue ROI

5 hours ago, MattP said:

Anyone else having crazy dreams during this?

Some of mine have gone completely mental to say the least. Last night I was being hunted for murder but escaped down the street my friend uses to live on, I then hid in a what felt like a pub where the Spice Girls were performing but with Brendan Rodgers as the lead singer.

I dreamt the other night i was on a plane (your general hop over to Europe kind of jet) where the pilot was afraid of heights so was flying just above the trees and houses. He then pulled an handbrake turn when he saw something in front of him which resulted in him crashing it into the ground. 

So what do his bosses do? Sack him? No. They give him a massive ****ing dream liner to fly. And he’s flying this thing again over the trees and houses, struggling to deal with its speed and power while I’m screaming at him to ‘go up, go up’ 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Sunak extends the furlough scheme to end June - this a reflection that the 45 day notice on consultation required in a redundancy procedure meant this weekend would see companies having to make a decision to release staff. So we now have the possibility that even though a relaxation of lockdown (of sorts) is introduced before end may, companies can decide its cheaper to stay shut till the end of June

Yes, but as they say, the early bird gets the worm. Companies that can get their workforce back as early as possible will be at an advantage if they're in a competitive market. 

5 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Therefore can we all agree to stop looking for blame, at the end when this is beaten yes there should be a wash up & lessons learnt with all 195 countries providing input on what they did/didn't do & what worked & what didn't, what facilities they had or didn't etc  but look at those numbers again nobody could have predicted how this would take hold of the whole world by looking at the MERS/SARS viruses because this has jumped so many levels.

Agree with your post in its entirety, but standby  for statements such as “Pfft. Bill Gates knew it was coming so we did know”

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

There are 195 UN recognised countries in the world & everyone is different its not as simple as looking over the fence & saying they doing ok why didn't we do what they did because in the main the answer is because we couldn't.
Lets take testing as that seems to be the beating stick, Germany did test test test whilst UK tested hospital cases & using the above Q. why didn't we test test test A. we couldn't.
Germany has the 2nd largest Pharmaceuticals company in the world to call on in the Roche group & coupled with the other major players such as Bayer & Qiagen already had a diagnostics industry set up with over a 100 test labs, the UK has 3.

Roche has a machine that can churn out 1000 tests a day, thats a single machine they have more than 1, they can do 500k tests per week the UK would struggle to do 50k, so when Cv19 hit the UK it washed over us so fast like a tidal wave that it was then pointless to continue containment style testing it was already everywhere & threrefore different measures were then put in place with the gradual lockdown etc.
Now the hunt is on to get the immunity testing done but again it takes time to source these & then implement the rollout, again countries like SKorea & Germany that have inhouse manurfactures can get this done quicker, both Raab & Hancock have stated its not an issue of cost its an issue in supply & demand, same with PPE.

Ok so why weren't we ready, why didn't we learn from MERS or SARS?
Well my guess is the UK played the numbers game those numbers being:
UK cases of MERS 5 with 3 deaths with 858 Global deaths in 27 countries
UK cases of SARS 4 with 0 deaths with 775 Global deaths in 24 countries
but when you put these numbers against CV19  
Globally 2,173,432 cases, 146,291 deaths, UN recognised Countries affected 195

Those figures show this is a different beast altogether the only lesson that hasn't been learnt & actioned on by the wider world is their origins & the clamping down on wet markets etc, it probably has a baring on places like Japan & S/Korea as they are countries closer to the previous virus origins & therefore ramped up their testing capability but for somewhere like the UK, thousands of miles from Ground Zero, it probably didn't make financial sense to create such a large testing facility & then to run it given the names i mentioned earlier as neighbours it would be like Admiral going up against Umbro & Adidas, it would just become another money pit until it collapsed due to lack of funding.

Therefore can we all agree to stop looking for blame, at the end when this is beaten yes there should be a wash up & lessons learnt with all 195 countries providing input on what they did/didn't do & what worked & what didn't, what facilities they had or didn't etc  but look at those numbers again nobody could have predicted how this would take hold of the whole world by looking at the MERS/SARS viruses because this has jumped so many levels.

I don't disagree with any of that, different circumstances breed different situations.

Indeed, that's part of the point I was making when I was simply correcting the assertion that no nation was prepared to handle this and as such all outcomes were similar by highlighting some that were not in terms of (current) results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Quite. The people moaning that we should have done what Korea have done will be the same one sharing those posts on Facebook saying "Facebook do not have the rights to share my personal details". lol

I don't particularly want the govt snooping on every citizen but I don't think it's constructive to compare a govt using location data to mitigate a viral outbreak to a private company selling it to the highest bidder and allowing targeted propaganda.

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I understood that there were many many applications for every picking job from UK residents, so not clear why we are flying in Romanians.  I guess they might be experienced pickers known to the the employers who can help with training etc.

That's right. New recruits require training and this would be almost impossible without experienced pickers alongside. There is also the issue of the minimum wage which has to be paid. Although the the most productive pickers can earn well above minimum, the minimum wage has to be paid whether or not the expected amount of fruit is picked. Additionally, many farms will require pickers to sign a contract of up to 6 months and expect employees to live on site.

It makes perfect sense to recruit foreign pickers and it is proposed this would continue when the Uk leaves the EU completely.

1 hour ago, Blue ROI said:

Ireland now has 13,271 cases and 486 deaths. It will be updated later tonight.

I'm optimistic that we are starting to see the benefits of the restrictions in place.

Nearly half those who died have been cases in Nursing Homes and just under half of the overall cases have been in Dublin. Though there has been cases outside of the capital it seems that or death rate excluding nursing homes could have been much worse. It seems to be under 200 of the population under 60 have died and most of the country outside Dublin has been spared. ICU capacity looks to have fallen and though testing like everywhere is an ongoing issue the health of the nation is quite good. Certainly better than what was reported pre-Covid.

We have been in lockdown for 3 weeks and have another 2 weeks to go. The lockdown was extended to May 5 (just after the May Bank Holiday). It's looking likely that there could be an ease of restrictions in certain areas from that point on. Any potential second wave and we will have restrictions once more I suspect.

Denmark and Austria have started to open up so given the similarities is population we could follow suit.

It was always gonna be a time of unease given the uncertainty of it all but there is a glimmer of hope.

Seen the spoof letter from the Irish government doing the rounds on Whatsapp about bars remaining closed until September.

Guest MattP
27 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I don't disagree with any of that, different circumstances breed different situations.

Indeed, that's part of the point I was making when I was simply correcting the assertion that no nation was prepared to handle this and as such all outcomes were similar by highlighting some that were not in terms of (current) results.

Then why not just say that instead of adding a little political bias to the post like you did with a mention it would be different with the colour of the rosette?

I'm finding these country comparisons absolutely ridiculous, from all sides.