Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52308783

More than nine in 10 people dying with coronavirus have an underlying health condition, figures from the Office for National Statistics show.

The ONS looked at nearly 4,000 deaths during March in England and Wales where coronavirus was mentioned on the death certificate.

In 91% of cases the individuals had other health problems.

The most common was heart disease, followed by dementia and respiratory illness.

On average, people dying also had roughly three other health conditions.

It comes amid signs the coronavirus outbreak is deterring people from going to A&E.

The number of people attending major units has nearly halved since the virus first emerged in the UK.

What else does the ONS analysis say?

The ONS has also looked at the differences in death rates by age and sex.

Men are twice as likely to die with coronavirus.

Unsurprisingly, the risk of dying increases with age, rising sharply from age 60 onwards.

Heart disease was most common underlying health condition

25 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I don’t think it is. 

It doesn’t take a majority to cause big issues as we saw with panic buyers. You just need a select group who feel they’re above current rulings to fill pubs across the country and set us back to square one.

This isn’t some government apologism either. I’ve been very vocal about what I perceived as government failings but individual exceptionalism has also been a big problem in some areas of society.

Some people cannot see there own impact on things, i was talking to a friend of my wife’s on Monday. She had made quite a few headbands for nurses that have buttons for the masks to rest on, so as not to cause stress sores. I popped round to pick them up so my wife can take them in with her.

We had a chat through the window and she told me she had been in isolation since the start of March. She was ahead of things, as she had foreseen all of it apparently, and she didn’t need to panic buy because she stocked up massively on all the items that became out of stock a week before it happened. lol

I mean I didn’t want to point out the obvious to her as she is such a lovely caring person but I was completely dumbstruck.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Some people cannot see there own impact on things, i was talking to a friend of my wife’s on Monday. She had made quite a few headbands for nurses that have buttons for the masks to rest on, so as not to cause stress sores. I popped round to pick them up so my wife can take them in with her.

We had a chat through the window and she told me she had been in isolation since the start of March. She was ahead of things, as she had foreseen all of it apparently, and she didn’t need to panic buy because she stocked up massively on all the items that became out of stock a week before it happened. lol

I mean I didn’t want to point out the obvious to her as she is such a lovely caring person but I was completely dumbstruck.

That’s where you and I differ lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Cruel to be kind...

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

What a ridiculous comment 

Why is it a ridiculous comment? We've seen plenty of examples of people being ignorant, oblivious, down right thick, take your pick which one you apply. The evidence has been there for all to see on the news. The anecdotes on here have shown widespread examples of people not following the rules, why do you think people will suddenly start if they can't do it now? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I did all my panic buying before anyone else was panicking, therefore it doesn't count as panic buying because neither I nor anyone else was actually panicking at the time :ph34r:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Why is it a ridiculous comment? We've seen plenty of examples of people being ignorant, oblivious, down right thick, take your pick which one you apply. The evidence has been there for all to see on the news. The anecdotes on here have shown widespread examples of people not following the rules, why do you think people will suddenly start if they can't do it now? 

It’s a sweeping statement I am guessing, things we all make at times :dunno:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I did all my panic buying before anyone else was panicking, therefore it doesn't count as panic buying because neither I nor anyone else was actually panicking at the time :ph34r:

Is this the worlds dumbest tautology? 
(Or has my grasp of proofs slipped away...)

Yes, @FoxesDeb, I knew it was in jest :D

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I panicked when I saw you with your full trolleys 

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

In the case of protesters prior to this virus I could agree however since we have been in lockdown the vast majority have co operated 

In the U.S., the Republican far-right (and that's who it is - make no mistake, they only protest against Democratic governors and they do so conspicuously armed) have decided that they are going to try and forcibly 're-open' states by marching on capitol buildings with semi-automatic rifles.

6 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

In the U.S., the Republican far-right (and that's who it is - make no mistake, they only protest against Democratic governors and they do so conspicuously armed) have decided that they are going to try and forcibly 're-open' states by marching on capitol buildings with semi-automatic rifles.

I cant see what could possibly go wrong.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, murphy said:

I think you are losing sight of the argument here.  The herd immunity issue is whether the initial government strategy was ever to let the virus continue unimpeded in order to acquire immunity.  It was not and never has been. 

You seem to now be arguing that our current plan is herd immunity.   As opposed to permanent lockdown or a magic wand I suppose.  There is no way of just stopping it.  Hopefully in future we will improve our testing and isolation capabilities as that approach seems to be most effective in countries with large testing infrastructure like Germany and Korea.

Ok - I've not changed what I've been saying at all - so let me say it clearly. Yes, I think the current measures are part of a herd immunity plan.

You said in a previous post that we all know what herd immunity is, but you keep conflating herd immunity with the idea of letting the virus spread without any control - these are not the same thing. Herd immunity is about letting the virus spread, and you can do this in an unimpeded or in a managed way. I've never said the initial plan was to let it spread without any control, that would be stupid. If you think that is what I've been arguing, then no wonder you think I've been peddling anti-tory nonsense.

Your final comments seem to lose sight of the argument, but even so you've given a great alternative strategy we could have taken. Get social distancing measures in early, keep case numbers lose, engage in aggressive testing, isolation of cases, contact tracing. 

2 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Ok - I've not changed what I've been saying at all - so let me say it clearly. Yes, I think the current measures are part of a herd immunity plan.

You said in a previous post that we all know what herd immunity is, but you keep conflating herd immunity with the idea of letting the virus spread without any control - these are not the same thing. Herd immunity is about letting the virus spread, and you can do this in an unimpeded or in a managed way. I've never said the initial plan was to let it spread without any control, that would be stupid. If you think that is what I've been arguing, then no wonder you think I've been peddling anti-tory nonsense.

Your final comments seem to lose sight of the argument, but even so you've given a great alternative strategy we could have taken. Get social distancing measures in early, keep case numbers lose, engage in aggressive testing, isolation of cases, contact tracing. 

There's a limit to how many times I can keep saying the same thing. 

In fact this is the limit, just go back and read again. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I cant see what could possibly go wrong.

It's a depressing mix of willful ignorance, scientific birdbrains, Constitutional half-knowledge, and American 'liberty' (gun / Confederate / nationalist) culture.

56 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52308783

More than nine in 10 people dying with coronavirus have an underlying health condition, figures from the Office for National Statistics show.

The ONS looked at nearly 4,000 deaths during March in England and Wales where coronavirus was mentioned on the death certificate.

In 91% of cases the individuals had other health problems.

The most common was heart disease, followed by dementia and respiratory illness.

On average, people dying also had roughly three other health conditions.

It comes amid signs the coronavirus outbreak is deterring people from going to A&E.

The number of people attending major units has nearly halved since the virus first emerged in the UK.

What else does the ONS analysis say?

The ONS has also looked at the differences in death rates by age and sex.

Men are twice as likely to die with coronavirus.

Unsurprisingly, the risk of dying increases with age, rising sharply from age 60 onwards.

Heart disease was most common underlying health condition

100,000 people die per day across the globe prior to the virus is there a big increase since the virus has been around?

5 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

100,000 people die per day across the globe prior to the virus is there a big increase since the virus has been around?

The ONS has also looked to what extent coronavirus is causing the death of individuals rather than another condition being more of a factor.

In most cases it was judged to be the cause that triggered their death.

To what extent is coronavirus shortening lives?
This is extremely hard to judge.

Nick Stripe, head of health analysis at the ONS, said understanding what the deaths from coronavirus meant was "difficult and challenging".

He pointed out the risk of dying from heart disease and strokes had fallen, which could suggest they were dying from coronavirus instead of other things.

Most frequent causes of death in March

But he said there was other evidence which suggested the deaths were "on top of" what would be expected.

He said further research and debate were needed to explore the true impact of the virus on mortality.

The BBC's head of statistics, Robert Cuffe, agreed.

"Coronavirus is doing more than taking the place of other causes of death for people who would otherwise have died this month," he said.

"It has driven the total number of deaths higher than expected.

"People like these, with multiple health conditions, do have lower life expectancy, but these figures don't say exactly how many months or years coronavirus has taken off their life."

• Like 1

Even though I love the sunshine I’ll be glad when the weather changes and people have to stay indoors.

I mentioned in a previous post that my normal quiet cycle ride home is now plagued by people exercising, which is fine but today I encountered a ground of approximately 8 people (some were children) standing on the path chatting together and to me it seemed they were on a day out, not exercising.