Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

The earliest "realistic" point at which schools in England could start re-opening would be 1 June, head teachers' leader Geoff Barton has said.

"We cannot see any realistic way that schools could be re-opened to more pupils before the second half of the summer term," said the ASCL leader.

And "planning would need to begin very soon" in order to meet a 1 June target.

FFS how pathetic.  We can build a hospital in a week, but you want over a month to work out how to start doing something you were already doing.

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

100% agree. Though when I referenced the common cold in regards to the post I quoted, I meant in terms of virus mutation rather than severity of the illness. 

We have an inherent ability to fight the common cold effectively because despite the variation, it’s been around forever. 

That's probably because, even if we had a cold when we we're younger, our mum's would still send us off to school, therefore achieving herd immunity. I think one of the problems nowadays is that everything is too clean and  germ free and people aren't building up a natural resistance to virus's.

• Like 2

Just had a call from my sister-in-law. Absolutely hilarious. She's trying to do this school work she's been given with my 7 year old nephew, but she's as thick as two short planks and he's mildly autistic. So there's one person that wants to do it but can't and one that doesn't want to do it but can, so he's asking her to explain every sodding question to drive her up the wall. Well played lad. lol

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Just had a call from my sister-in-law. Absolutely hilarious. She's trying to do this school work she's been given with my 7 year old nephew, but she's as thick as two short planks and he's mildly autistic. So there's one person that wants to do it but can't and one that doesn't want to do it but can, so he's asking her to explain every sodding question to drive her up the wall. Well played lad. lol

Watch out. The next call could be a request for Uncle Innovindil to come over and help.

I work in education and have done some Skype tuition. To be honest - if 20% of kids are doing work each day I'll be amazed. I'm already seeing standards massively slip and it's not as if parents can put in punishments to make them do it. Can't ground them because they already are. Can't take away their Xbox because then what will mum and dad have as a respite? 

Schools absolutely have to start back in September or you either massively lower the pass marks for next year's exams or have a whole generation of kids retaking a year. 

3 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I work in education and have done some Skype tuition. To be honest - if 20% of kids are doing work each day I'll be amazed. I'm already seeing standards massively slip and it's not as if parents can put in punishments to make them do it. Can't ground them because they already are. Can't take away their Xbox because then what will mum and dad have as a respite? 

Schools absolutely have to start back in September or you either massively lower the pass marks for next year's exams or have a whole generation of kids retaking a year. 

**** that, if they aren't back on the 1st June you might as well hold everyone back a year.

14 hours ago, Lionator said:

The channel 4 scientists show was really good tonight by the way. 

It was interesting that the chappie from Liverpool, said that he had noticed a clear increase in people travelling around after the lockdown was extended last week. (with the implication that some people are struggling with the lockdown after only 3 weeks).

This sort of backs up the health advisors (ie Governments) original view that lockdown would be difficult to maintain for long, and that it was absolutely crucial that they didn't bring it in too soon.   There was a delicate balance with starting it, just at the point of maximum benefit.

• Like 2

I'm trying to find the article I read last night.

But it said our r number in the community is currently around 0.75.

The issue is once schools reopen the r number will go up to just under 1 which means theres isn't really any scope to do anything after we've opened the schools again.

Obviously schools have to take priority, as it also frees up parents but it suggested opening things like offices, cafes or non-food shops might be very difficult even with heavy social distancing after schools have reopened.

Factory and construction workers for things key to infrastructure are also going to have to go back at some point and will also need take priority over offices, cafes or non-food shops as well for example.

Edited by Sampson

Yep we’ll loosen things up and then we’ll have a second spike ...   it won’t be flattened like some people believe but even higher than before ...   no easy way out I’m afraid and the magic vaccine pill is many many moons away ..  mid next year earliest.    There are a lot of deaths to come, many businesses will go under and the after effects will last for decades.  

Someone had to say it.

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Yep we’ll loosen things up and then we’ll have a second spike ...   it won’t be flattened like some people believe but even higher than before ...   no easy way out I’m afraid and the magic vaccine pill is many many moons away ..  mid next year earliest.    There are a lot of deaths to come, many businesses will go under and the after effects will last for decades.  

Someone had to say it.

Cheers.

Even the animal world is feeling it.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I'm trying to find the article I read last night.

But it said our r number in the community is currently around 0.75.

The issue is once schools reopen the r number will go up to just under 1 which means theres isn't really any scope to do anything after we've opened the schools again.

Obviously schools have to take priority, as it also frees up parents but it suggested opening things like offices, cafes or non-food shops might be very difficult even with heavy social distancing after schools have reopened.

Factory and construction workers for things key to infrastructure are also going to have to go back at some point and will also need take priority over offices, cafes or non-food shops as well for example.

Indeed. I think it will be a case of if you can work from home, do so for the foreseeable future. I can see some clothing stores opening and things like that, but not the more leisure/social type places. I really hope someone cleared out our fridge at work... 

35 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Someone had to say it.

Graudal loosening is the key.  Yes many more will die, but eventually herd immunity will come into play;  Nasty as it sounds, it is the only way out - hopefully helped with a vaccine.

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

Ah for the old days and a good beating!

• Haha 1

Is the lock down over?

I live near what is normally a busy road and walking along is not something you do unless you have to so these last few weeks have been great for my daily walk when I'd be unlucky to see more than 1 car for 5 minutes walk along it.

Just been along it today and it's back to normal so many surely cars they can't all be going shopping for essential supplies and 2.30pm is not a time you'd expect people that are still working to be going to work.

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Is the lock down over?

I live near what is normally a busy road and walking along is not something you do unless you have to so these last few weeks have been great for my daily walk when I'd be unlucky to see more than 1 car for 5 minutes walk along it.

Just been along it today and it's back to normal so many surely cars they can't all be going shopping for essential supplies and 2.30pm is not a time you'd expect people that are still working to be going to work.

It's all these delivery vans, we now need one each!

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

It's all these delivery vans, we now need one each!

No not even one of those, these were 90%+ private cars with most having  just the driver.

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

Is the lock down over?

Traffic has significantly increased since the middle of last week. Feels close to pre-lockdown levels.

No idea where everyone is coming from or going to. Everyone going for a daily drive to keep their battery going flat? Neighbours seem to be having lots of guests over for barbecues.

Just now, foxtonhin said:

Traffic has significantly increased since the middle of last week. Feels close to pre-lockdown levels.

No idea where everyone is coming from or going to. Everyone going for a daily drive to keep their battery going flat? Neighbours seem to be having lots of guests over for barbecues.

I drove up to work at 5:30-8am Monday morning, the roads were very busy considering. I was expecting an empty A1 as previous few weeks.