Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Have seen quite a few DPD vans on the roads, as if it's a normal day, in the past week.

Do doubt they're classed as 'key workers', alongside the other numerous courier service companies.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Milo said:

Got a message from my car finance company saying that they are offering 3 month payment holidays due to Coronavirus. 

On reading the small print, they are charging £100 per month if you take them them up on their offer. 

Nothing like a bit of casual profiteering during a national crisis, is there. 

I can't believe that mate, I'm really surprised and shocked.

A man of your wealth doesn't own his own car?

:P

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Have seen quite a few DPD vans on the roads, as if it's a normal day, in the past week.

Do doubt they're classed as 'key workers', alongside the other numerous courier service companies.

Come on!

8 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

If they're delivering PPE for people i.e. gloves/masks for nurses/doctors/frontline workers, does that make them essential :) ?

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

If they're delivering PPE for people i.e. gloves/masks for nurses/doctors/frontline workers, does that make them essential :) ?

Point taken, of course.

But one of my neighbours mentioned last weekend that they got a food hamper from Harrods the day before, expressing surprise that their delivery was on-time despite this pandemic - meaning these firms may well still continue their business as normal durinb this period by delivering non-essential items to households (going 'under the radar' etc).

Just now, Wymsey said:

Point taken, of course.

But one of my neighbours mentioned last weekend that they got a food hamper from Harrods the day before, expressing surprise that their delivery was on-time despite this pandemic - meaning these firms may well still continue their business as normal durinb this period by delivering non-essential items to households (going 'under the radar' etc).

Delivery drivers are exempt from lockdown as a lot of what they deliver is absolutely essential, I’m sure you can nitpick on things they do that aren’t but is that not the case in all essential services?

2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Point taken, of course.

solo driver dropping something off without requiring any contact with the receiver. Don't see why it's any different from takeaway services. 

29 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

I think I’ve seen them as well, I say think as they bomb past my house so quick I don’t really get a chance to tell! Music blaring, no gears above second, slamming doors, proper rude boys!

44 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Aren't they just delivering all the stuff we're ordering because the shops are shut? 

• Like 1

The guidance is "Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)". Seems reasonable that a delivery driver cannot work from home.

55 minutes ago, Fktf said:

The guidance is "Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)". Seems reasonable that a delivery driver cannot work from home.

Surely any packages he needs to deliver he can just send by post.

I feel I’m and maybe others in a catch 22 situation,

im currently on furlough pay till I return but my employer has emailed everyone explaining that to ‘cut costs’ on our return some staff may be laid off,

I have only been in my position since end of November and I think I’ll be laid off on my return,

i have been looking for work whilst off but everything is short term work so I’m shitting it like many others wondering how I will support my family,

some may say why do they think I’ll be laid off,

I work for a small independent company having left a national company and my role is a new role within the business,

its office based and I’m never rushed off my feet on a good day so I think they’ll let me go to ‘cut costs’ but I also don’t wanna quit my job for another job if it’s only temporary so really don’t know wot to do🤦‍♂️

Edited by Russell sprout
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Wet Trump said:

I was going on the 21% of 20m in the city of New York. Should be 4.2m really.

The state has 20mil. The city only has 8mil.

13.9% of 20mil is about 2.75mil is about 0.7%

Of course antibodies take a bout 3 weeks to show on tests from what I know, so some of those tested for antibodies could have had it a week ago at which point they will show as negative

1 minute ago, Russell sprout said:

im currently on furlough pay till I return but my employer has emailed everyone explaining that you cut costs’ on our return some staff may be laid off,

ive only been in my position since end of November and I think I’ll be laid off on my return,

i have been looking for work whilst off but everything is short term work so I’m shitting it and like many others wondering how I will support my family,

I work for a small independent company having left a national company and my role is a new role within the business,

its office based and I’m never rushed off my feet but I’ll think they’ll let me go to ‘cut costs’ but I also don’t wanna quit my job for another job if it’s only temporary so really don’t know wot to do🤦‍♂️

It's a horrible situation and I feel for those who feel in unwinnable situations like yourself.

Only morsel of hope I can offer is to remember that by law you have to be given a notice period until your company let you go and by that point hopefully the economy is back up and running again if they're waiting until they reopen to make the decisions.

12 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It's a horrible situation and I feel for those who feel in unwinnable situations like yourself.

Only morsel of hope I can offer is to remember that by law you have to be given a notice period until your company let you go and by that point hopefully the economy is back up and running again if they're waiting until they reopen to make the decisions.

Many thanks for you response it much appreciated,

it’s weird cuz I don’t want us to open anytime soon just so I can get some sort of income but I’ve prepared myself for the worst and we have put money away to get us by for a month should I lose my job,

I’m not after the sympathy vote off anyone and I know there’s others in this situation but keeping it all from the Mrs I see the forum as a chance to let it all out 

A little more science - again, only theories, but rather fascinating in a horrible way.

94088606_10158446529983559_2271803945988

TL;DR - this thing is pretty much perfectly sorted for transmissibility and actually sorting it beyond the typical human immune response is bloody difficult. Might just be a confirmation of what was already suspected, but still.

5 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

im currently on furlough pay till I return but my employer has emailed everyone explaining that to ‘cut costs’ on our return some staff may be laid off,

I have only been in my position since end of November and I think I’ll be laid off on my return,

i have been looking for work whilst off but everything is short term work so I’m shitting it like many others wondering how I will support my family,

its office based and I’m never rushed off my feet on a good day so I think they’ll let me go to ‘cut costs’ but I also don’t wanna quit my job for another job if it’s only temporary so really don’t know wot to do🤦‍♂️

What do you do? Perhaps people on here might be able to help find similar things in the future should your fears turn out to her correct. Until then, good luck.

Edited by Toddybad

10 hours ago, Wymsey said:

🤨 If you order something you need because all the shops except supermarkets are shut, how do you expect to receive it if they furloughed couriers? Royal Mail can only do so much

Added to that, a lot of people will be quite sensibly not going to shops that are still open in case they contract the virus, so couriers are needed now more than ever

10 hours ago, Wymsey said:

I work for a large Pharma company and we are using delivery services to replace laptops for home workers and supply them centrally to other sites during the lock down from a central location to minimise contact with those members of staff that work in development and production the NHS still needs drugs that aren't to cure Covid-19.

8 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

I don't think you are going to be alone in this, unfortunately I think there will be many without work when this is over.