Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Continual promising news. Lockdown is working. I really hope it continues to decline in such a way by 7th May. I think even if lockdown isnt totally removed there'll be some sense of relief to have the restrictions eased in some way. 

Managed route back to normality (whatever that was) is best way. Also best way to hopefully avoid a 2nd spike but that's where we need to be careful. I still sense people will take any lockdown-easing measures too far the other way and act like nothing happened. 

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

You do live in the red light district, maybe there just very horny looking for some GFE?

Nah not busy these days not since MrsG retired. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Just imagine if Oxford had put the money they spent on Gender Studies professors like her into medical science research like immunology instead.

Also, imagine having that level of national self hatred too. 

Did anyone wish her Happy St George's Day

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, foxtonhin said:

Traffic has significantly increased since the middle of last week. Feels close to pre-lockdown levels.

No idea where everyone is coming from or going to. Everyone going for a daily drive to keep their battery going flat? Neighbours seem to be having lots of guests over for barbecues.

If your not my neighbour, snitch on those biyatches

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Graudal loosening is the key.  Yes many more will die, but eventually herd immunity will come into play;  Nasty as it sounds, it is the only way out - hopefully helped with a vaccine.

Sorry Hat but whenever we do 'loosen' ...    and people seem to believe that will be any time soon  cus we are 'past the peak' ...   it will kick off again and be even more severe ...  imo.   Herd immunity is another straw to be clutched at but will not be the answer for a long long time ...   and by then we may well have a vaccine.   The picture and opinion is changing on an almost daily basis and that's because nobody really knows how this will pan out.   The government (and it wouldn't matter which party that is) is just drip feeding us information so as not to create a national panic.  

I get the need to be positive but we also need to be realistic ...   this virus aint going nowhere fast and will cause mayhem.   If you accept that then we can perhaps plan our next moves better.

• Like 1

Despite Professor Sikora's optimism about the drop in fatalities, judging by the graphs for Italy and Spain, I fear that the UK is still going suffer a terrible daily death toll (into the several hundreds) for yet awhile, although I sincerely hope that that's not the case.

If we all knew that old peoples homes would be like a battlefield to the virus why were they in effect swept under the carpet.   Those people that shoved them in there, visited only when they had too (bare minimum) ..  and moaned about how much it cost,  do not need to ponder this question as you probably already know the answer.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Just imagine if Oxford had put the money they spent on Gender Studies professors like her into medical science research like immunology instead.

Seems a strange comment to make on the day that the first human trials on a CV19 vaccine start today following work at Oxford University:

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18399843.first-human-trials-new-vaccine-begin-oxford-today/

Credit where it's due - I have no affiliation or link to the University.

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Continual promising news. Lockdown is working. I really hope it continues to decline in such a way by 7th May. I think even if lockdown isnt totally removed there'll be some sense of relief to have the restrictions eased in some way. 

Managed route back to normality (whatever that was) is best way. Also best way to hopefully avoid a 2nd spike but that's where we need to be careful. I still sense people will take any lockdown-easing measures too far the other way and act like nothing happened. 

I’m grasping at any positive at the moment, this is good news. 
We can’t stay on lockdown for the rest of the year, the country will be ruined and that’s the crux of the matter, but ease restrictions and death rates will probably climb again, it’s a hard dilemma.

Cuomo just released New York’s preliminary antibody test results. It indicated that 13% within the state have antibodies and 21% within New York City tested positive for antibodies. The tests also ignored people who are currently ill, children and people in care homes so the likely % is going to be higher. I would assume the accuracy of the test is good too. 

Not sure what this tells us aside from it spreads faster in built up areas (makes sense), the true death rate is definitely below 1%, and that there’s a long way to go until ‘herd immunity’ but a small level

of herd immunity will already exist in NYC which will reduce the spread rate, presuming antibodies mean immunity. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

it will kick off again and be even more severe

Why will it be more severe?

Unfortunately the virus has already done for a lot of the most susceptible, and Scientists, Doctors are learning a little more each day.

Be very surprised if your prediction is correct,and wonder how you have come to this conclusion.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Cuomo just released New York’s preliminary antibody test results. It indicated that 13% within the state have antibodies and 21% within New York City tested positive for antibodies. The tests also ignored people who are currently ill, children and people in care homes so the likely % is going to be higher. I would assume the accuracy of the test is good too. 

Not sure what this tells us aside from it spreads faster in built up areas (makes sense), the true death rate is definitely below 1%, and that there’s a long way to go until ‘herd immunity’ but a small level

of herd immunity will already exist in NYC which will reduce the spread rate, presuming antibodies mean immunity. 

With a population of 20m that’d put the total with antibodies at around 4m. With around 11,000 deaths in the city the mortality rate would be 0.28% (unless my maths is completely wrong).

3 hours ago, String fellow said:

Despite Professor Sikora's optimism about the drop in fatalities, judging by the graphs for Italy and Spain, I fear that the UK is still going suffer a terrible daily death toll (into the several hundreds) for yet awhile, although I sincerely hope that that's not the case.

I can’t see how we avoid that and we will also have more efficient recording of care home deaths now that more testing will be undertaken ....... my first four recording days rolling average for England has come down by approx 100/125 since a week ago but looks to me like it will be tough to get below 400. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Just read the story about funeral staff being spat at and verbally/physically abused by mourners.

Utterly disgusting and disgraceful.

WTF - Where was this?

What chance we'll hear the following sentence read out in Stockholm in December:-

....and the 2020 Nobel Prize for Medicine, for their work in producing a vaccine for Covid-19, goes to the Oxford University research team lead by.... Come on Oxford!