Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Question at news briefing : The military have 20k people ready to be deployed to help on the frontline, but only 2k are being utilised, how do you explain that?

Answer : only 2k are needed at present, but the others are ready to go if needs be

Headline in the tabloids tomorrow : ONLY 10% OF STAFF BEING USED ON THE FRONTLINE 

• Like 2

Another shift, another unexpected death.

52 yr old man who'd complained of chest pains earlier today and decided to go to bed with a couple of paracetamol. His wife went up to him 3 hours later to find him unresponsive.

I arrived after the crew got there and I put on my "soft" PPE. As I walk through the front door one of them gestures that there's nothing we can do. I can hear his wife's distraught sobs. Once again a colleague is explaining to her the next steps we have to take as she struggles to take in what we're saying.

Reflecting on recent shifts, I can't remember having 5 non-traumatic deaths in 3 shifts before. I'm beginning to wonder if, as has been mentioned in the press, that people aren't calling us for fear of having to go to hospital and catching CV-19 and then something like this happens. 

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

52 yr old man who'd complained of chest pains earlier today and decided to go to bed with a couple of paracetamol. His wife went up to him 3 hours later to find him unresponsive.

I arrived after the crew got there and I put on my "soft" PPE. As I walk through the front door one of them gestures that there's nothing we can do. I can hear his wife's distraught sobs. Once again a colleague is explaining to her the next steps we have to take as she struggles to take in what we're saying.

Reflecting on recent shifts, I can't remember having 5 non-traumatic deaths in 3 shifts before. I'm beginning to wonder if, as has been mentioned in the press, that people aren't calling us for fear of having to go to hospital and catching CV-19 and then something like this happens. 

Christ. Those stories are always some of most horrifying. Lost a family member a similar a few years back.

I hope you're ok and have some sort of support network both within and outside of work!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

Christ. Those stories are always some of most horrifying. Lost a family member a similar a few years back.

I hope you're ok and have some sort of support network both within and outside of work!

I'm sorry to hear that.

Thank you, I'm ok but it's becoming more stressful. Mainly because every cardiac arrest we're sent to requires the full level 3 PPE, hood, respirator, full gown, gloves overshoes. All very restrictive, tiring and difficult in trying to do CPR because the respirator makes a noise, it's hot, sweaty and our vision is restricted by the hood. Still nothing like z-layrex and those in ICU/HDU having to wear that kit the whole shift

We do have a number of ways to access support in house and independent. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

I'm sorry to hear that.

Thank you, I'm ok but it's becoming more stressful. Mainly because every cardiac arrest we're sent to requires the full level 3 PPE, hood, respirator, full gown, gloves overshoes. All very restrictive, tiring and difficult in trying to do CPR because the respirator makes a noise, it's hot, sweaty and our vision is restricted by the hood. Still nothing like z-layrex and those in ICU/HDU having to wear that kit the whole shift

We do have a number of ways to access support in house and independent. 

Out of interest how do you manage the full PPE between visits, is it not potentially contaminated

16 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Whitty was emphasising this again today ....... as you say, people are dying from fear of going to hospital and catching the virus or out of the belief that you shouldn’t be going to A+E at the moment or calling an ambulance because the system is under such pressure 

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

Out of interest how do you manage the full PPE between visits, is it not potentially contaminated

The gowns, gloves and overshoes are single use and are disposed of as clinical waste. The respirator hood and power unit is cleaned with clinical wipes and used again unless damaged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Parafox said:

The gowns, gloves and overshoes are single use and are disposed of as clinical waste. The respirator hood and power unit is cleaned with clinical wipes and used again unless damaged.

Keep Safe.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That’s grim reading. Sounds like PL football as we knew it for example is many months away. I guess we’re all in for the long haul...

For sure, it seems.

Fearing quite a few lower-league clubs will follow Bury, where their main revenue stream is just via matchday sales..

-

What is the government doing, if anything, to help those who manage/run and the employees who work in SME's?

This situation could make mass unemployment to happen again in this country..

Edited by Wymsey

how’s everyone sitting around waiting for either a vaccine or drugs going to work. What if we dont find a cure. The health service and every other public body will not be able to function without income generated from taxes. The money will eventually run out. Why not take the German approach and start to plan a way out of it by everyone having to wear a mask. I think the government need to start suggesting other ideas just in case we don’t beat the virus.

• Like 1

My wife works for M&S so is still working all be it on foods as the rest of the business has shut down. She was told today that 2 of her colleagues have sadly died because of the virus and a further 20 are in hospital (that’s in all stores of cause). No where near NHS staff numbers of cause but still a worrying signal and a massive reason as to why everyone needs to keep apart as best as possible whilst shopping. 

• Sad 1

It's hard to draw any positives from the Chief Medical Adviser's words today. However, the Oxford research into a vaccine does offer one glimmer of hope. The 5000 volunteers who are helping out by acting as human 'guinea pigs' are to be commended.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, String fellow said:

It's hard to draw any positives from the Chief Medical Adviser's words today. However, the Oxford research into a vaccine does offer one glimmer of hope. The 5000 volunteers who are helping out by acting as human 'guinea pigs' are to be commended.

But as has been also said, even with a fair wind, we won’t see widespread vaccine use this side of the new year and probably longer still. Any poor results and that optimistic view goes out of the window 

I think it’s more likely that we see some respite via a drug offering some relief from the worst symptoms but even that is tenuous 

29 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Christ, just because they haven’t told you something doesn’t mean they aren’t planning. If they mention going out with masks on now, people will just do it now, we have seen how ****ing stupid/ignorant/selfish a big chunk of the population is.

Just accept we will be told information when we need to be told it and stop wetting your pants.

Agree - said several times that the advice will change when Govt mask stocks are full and overflowing ........and orders are placed and confirmed for weekly deliveries coming in ...........remember that there is no point in them making an instruction to wear masks unless there is widespread availability in shops which is over and above the govt stocks. I would think this is still likely after any lockdown is relaxed. 

• Like 1