Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manini

Adam Lallana

I'm not sure the comparison with Cambiasso is helpful because his pedigree as a player was way, way, way above that of Lallana. And of course we were a newly promoted side with next to no PL experience in central midfield.

And obviously with Huth we were rock bottom. And he was a 32 year old CB, which is very different to a 32 year old attacking midfielder. Evans was only 30 when he turned up, and again circumstances were very different.

4 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Similar signings in recent years. To a less expensive extent. 

Nobby Solano

Kevin Phillips

Wasilewski

Cambiasso 

Mark Schwarzer 

All done ok. Sure there’s a few more I can’t think of off the top of my head.

Not a huge fan of Lallana personally but the club does have a history of this type of signing. Experienced to some, over the hill to others. Doesn’t neccessarily mean the whole transfer policy of the club is going out the window. You can’t keep signing young foreign lads and expecting them to be world beaters. Every squad needs balance. 

The 'to a less expensive extent' part is also important. Plus three of these signings listed were in the second tier, and I'm not sure we can say Solano, Schwarzer or even Phillips had a huge bearing on our progress.

We do have a history of these sorts of signings, and it's not always great. See the Adams era. And if we look at the past decade you could also list GTF, Upson, Silva, Slimani, Jakupovic, Iborra, Ball, Pantsil and so on - all 28 years old upwards, and all ultimately fringe players at best. It's an age group where we've been more hit and miss than in the 20-25 age bracket.

We already have experience. Kasper, Fuchs, Morgan, Evans, Albrighton, Perez and Vardy are all 30+. We won't be, by any means, exceptionally youthful and quite a few of our recent line-ups have been only slightly below PL average. If our policy really is to invest in young talent (which will almost certainly, given time, outgrow our club and be sold on at the sort of profit which enables us to compete) then Lallana goes against that.

It doesn't mean to say that we won't bring in other prospects for the future, nor that he'll offer nothing, but Lallana's wages will be greater than many in the squad, and significantly greater than any of the players you've listed. He's unlikely to want to warm the bench, and has been on a downward trajectory over recent years. All this for a player who doesn't really offer the toughness and pace that our midfield seems to have lacked of late.

We worried about a major change in policy post-Congerton. This may or, as you rightly point out, may not be indicative of such a change.

Edit: I have no idea why I listed Perez among the over-30s. The mysteries of the human mind.

Edited by inckley fox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Massively on the fence... we need older heads as our youngsters do not play mature when it’s needed and in big games especially, they’ve not turned up. Is he better than what we’ve got? Probably... what’s his best position though? Wideman? Behind striker? Centre mid? No idea. Just concerned with too many older players coming in for one last big signing on fee and we go away from our relatively successful model of finding younger talents who we can develop... but like I said, we could probably do with a few more mature heads on the field 

Edited by lcfceaves

2 hours ago, Munshi said:

What’s that got to do with anything? Comparing a 23 year old striker who has his best years ahead of him and has performed every time he’s been called on this season to someone whose barely played in the past few years due to injury and not being good enough?

Lets face it, Lallana is a shit version of Maddison and is the opposite of who we should be going for.

no offense but i trust Rodgers more than you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SO1 said:

I don't understand what makes you think that. Competition for places in the squad doesn't cease just because Adam Lallana walks in the door.

And why do you think we won't be getting another attacking player(winger).  I somewhat feel your pain but ultimately trust the manager to know what he's doing

I say it because I'm not convinced Rodgers is as concerned about our wingers as the fans are. We've not made it a priority since he's been here and he would see Lallana as being able to operate wide right or centrally. There is no way Lallana comes here as a back up player, he will be seen as first choice and that concerns me. We are still 2-3 key players off being where we want to be and 2 of those are on either wing but our manager doesn't seem to share that belief.

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

every signing is a risk whether the player is 22 or 32. You dont want risks, then you in the wrong sport.

Every signing does have various risks, but some obviously way more than others. I would be concerned with a 32 year old who has been a peripheral player for the last few years on the back of some bad injuries, in these circumstances more often than not the player in question never performs to the level they were at before and that's why I'd not take the risk. We don't need to, we are likely going to be in the Champions League and are one of the go to teams for some of the best young players. I am an advocate of blending experience with such youngsters and maybe Lallana would be a good replacement for Albrighton but he'd be way down the list of priorities for recruitment in the summer. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Claridge said:

Absolute zero chance his advisors Would accept that though is there. With all the costs, involved it would easily be a a 20 million deal which I don’t think is worth taking. Then again if Rodgers thinks it is, then fine, he is the manager

So he's not worth signing because he's old and injury prone but his advisors are going to be inundated with 20 million deals? They'll advise him to take the best offer whatever that may be.

52 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

We already have experience. Kasper, Fuchs, Morgan, Evans, Albrighton, Perez and Vardy are all 30+.

One is between the sticks, wouldn't expect see much of Fuchs, Morgan or Albrighton next season. Same may apply to Perez. We need experience in midfield and someone who can the use the dark arts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, inckley fox said:

We already have experience. Kasper, Fuchs, Morgan, Evans, Albrighton, Perez and Vardy are all 30+.

Perez is 26. Personally I don’t think Wes will be here next year (at least not in a playing capacity), Fuchs will move on if another new contract doesn’t come along, maybe even if one does, and Albrighton,  as fantastic a servant as he has been, sadly is not up to the level we aspire to be at consistently. Add to that Mendy is very likely to move on. I think Lallana does potentially have something to offer us. For no transfer fee, relatively good feedback from Liverpool, European experience, technical ability, worked well under the manager previously, it’s a gamble I can understand us taking. We will need to strengthen the squad with more than just him of course, but with the Maguire money and very likely extra income to come from European football, we will hopefully have a decent budget. Two players in each position in midfield of Wilf/Hamza, Praet/Tielemans, Maddison/Lallana I wouldn’t turn my nose up at. I just hope we go in for that elusive winger/inside forward or two, and of course a centre back. 

• Like 2

Since most of the posters whining about Lallana being a first choice option also whine about him being injured all the time, I don't know what they're worried about. :D

We're going to Europe for sure, probably the CL.  We need options - capable, experienced players.  With as many meaningful matches as we'll be playing there is no single "starting 11" - rotation is mandatory.  Lallana doesn't present a transfer fee, can conceivably cover anything from a #10 to an attacking mid to a wing, and has CL experience.  If Benkovic and Bennett fill out the CD slots that leaves us with most of the discretionary budget to pursue at least one true wing player who can make an impact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Perez is 26. Personally I don’t think Wes will be here next year (at least not in a playing capacity), Fuchs will move on if another new contract doesn’t come along, maybe even if one does, and Albrighton,  as fantastic a servant as he has been, sadly is not up to the level we aspire to be at consistently. Add to that Mendy is very likely to move on. I think Lallana does potentially have something to offer us. For no transfer fee, relatively good feedback from Liverpool, European experience, technical ability, worked well under the manager previously, it’s a gamble I can understand us taking. We will need to strengthen the squad with more than just him of course, but with the Maguire money and very likely extra income to come from European football, we will hopefully have a decent budget. Two players in each position in midfield of Wilf/Hamza, Praet/Tielemans, Maddison/Lallana I wouldn’t turn my nose up at. I just hope we go in for that elusive winger/inside forward or two, and of course a centre back. 

Well pointed out, I have no idea how Perez got there!

You may well be right re: Lallana, of course. And obviously I hope he thrives.

But I wonder how many of us would have swapped Lallana in his prime for Albrighton at the same time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

Well pointed out, I have no idea how Perez got there!

You may well be right re: Lallana, of course. And obviously I hope he thrives.

But I wonder how many of us would have swapped Lallana in his prime for Albrighton at the same time.

Probably Lallana to be fair. When we signed Albrighton, he was on a free from Villa having been loaned out to Wigan in the championship the year we won it. I’m sure a lot of people had a similar reaction to Albrighton signing on a free as they are having with Lallana potentially now. Just shows that every transfer is a gamble. Nobody would have predicted that Albrighton would have achieved what he has with us, and all credit to him, he’s earned it.

@Ric Flair    I'm keeping my powder dry until September 1, 2020.

Your hunch about Albrighton sounds right and maybe that's what all the drama is about now. You snooze you lose.

That damn Brendan if only he did what we told him to :mad: the nerve.

1 hour ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Probably Lallana to be fair. When we signed Albrighton, he was on a free from Villa having been loaned out to Wigan in the championship the year we won it. I’m sure a lot of people had a similar reaction to Albrighton signing on a free as they are having with Lallana potentially now. Just shows that every transfer is a gamble. Nobody would have predicted that Albrighton would have achieved what he has with us, and all credit to him, he’s earned it.

Do you think we'd have won the league with Lallana in the side?

I think a majority of fans seem to think we have a massive transfer budget to work with.

When in reality our net spend each season has been around £25million. Our overall transfer spend has generally been fueled by player sales.

We probably need to add 2-3 to improve and refresh the squad.

So unless we sell we have to shop wisely.

I continually, see people suggesting players in the £50m bracket, we aren't going to be spending that sort of money on a couple of players.

The odd smart free transfer makes sense.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

.. I was amazed Villa were prepared to let him go!! 

Touted as a potential England star when he came on the scene he looked a quality player to me. Made a big difference in the great escape, playing wide right and of course collecting a Title winners medal. 

You could say the same about the other players in the context of what they have achieved. 

42 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. I was amazed Villa were prepared to let him go!! 

Touted as a potential England star when he came on the scene he looked a quality player to me. Made a big difference in the great escape, playing wide right and of course collecting a Title winners medal. 

You could say the same about the other players in the context of what they have achieved. 

When he first broke through absolutely, but for whatever reason it didn’t quite work out for him there - though I bet they were kicking themselves for letting him go after what he’s gone on to achieve. Certainly one of the best free transfers we’ve ever made. He certainly kicked on once he pulled on a Blue shirt. None of us would have predicted the title winning contributions, first goal in the Champions League, the Sevilla clincher etc. If we do sign Lallana, and he has half of the impact Sharky has had in his time here, we will all be happy