Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr Weller

Lack of Motivation

The last 48 hours have seen a lot soul searching on this forum but it seems to me the most plausible explanation for our post Christmas slump is ver simple; we lack motivation.

Until Christmas anything was possible, after it the most probable outcome of a top 4 finish became evident and the poor form of our nearest rivals reinforced that impression.

Subconsciously, there was little to play for. We weren’t going to win the league, we certainly weren’t going to be relegated, we were almost certainly going to improve on last season and there was a very good chance we were going to qualify for the Champions League. I’m sure the players were keen to avoid complacency but these things are almost beyond our control.

Put simply, in a 50:50 challenge or before a big match, the extra determination to come out on top comes from within and fear or the prospect of glory drives that feeling. 

All the clues are there, a lack of intensity, a certain adversity to risk, few goals in the last 10 minutes and saving the best performances for the best teams. 

The answer is a mix of fear of losing the Champions League spot and desire for FA Cup glory. Success on Weds is as important for that reason as to win the cup itself.

Some may say they get paid too much for this to happen but the brain works the same way regardless. The danger, which we are currently encountering, is that once in a rut confidence falls and becoming motivated again doesn’t work.

• Like 3

Guest bennytwohats

I'm not convinced the players aren't motivated. They are young players who are massively overachieving relative to expectations - I can't see where the motivation would be lacking. More likely I think is that our current rut is down to a combination of a lack of confidence, some key injuries and us overachieving in the first half of the season. The dial moved on the expectations surrounding the club after the start we had to the season, and probably the squad aren't quite there yet.You're always going to get periods of inconsistency with young players, and as much as we are capable of great things I fear we are also capable of going off the boil slightly too. We are playing with the weight of expectation now, and things aren't as easy when you're looking over your shoulder as when you're flying up the league. Let's be fair, we've also had our fair share of bad luck for us the past few games as well.

I think Rodgers isn't perfect, we've heard this from Liverpool and Celtic fans telling us but many of us put this down to sour grapes.

I suppose to turn into the well oiled possession machine that Rodgers wants means there can be no Plan B - his philosophy seems to be: 'If Plan A doesn't work....... do Plan A better'

We're third so surely his method is working but it's tough to take at the moment as we're greedy by nature as humans. 

Edited by Collymore

19 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

I'm not convinced the players aren't motivated. They are young players who are massively overachieving relative to expectations - I can't see where the motivation would be lacking. More likely I think is that our current rut is down to a combination of a lack of confidence, some key injuries and us overachieving in the first half of the season. The dial moved on the expectations surrounding the club after the start we had to the season, and probably the squad aren't quite there yet.You're always going to get periods of inconsistency with young players, and as much as we are capable of great things I fear we are also capable of going off the boil slightly too. We are playing with the weight of expectation now, and things aren't as easy when you're looking over your shoulder as when you're flying up the league. Let's be fair, we've also had our fair share of bad luck for us the past few games as well.

There's a lot of truth there in fairness but the manager shouldn't get off scott free, he's not a bystander in all of this and it's his job to address some of it. He's also responsible for some of the strange team selections, formations and seemingly unnecessary micromanaging. All teams get and have had injuries to manage and many, despite what some think, haven't got the strength in depth we have. I looked at Watford yesterday and saw fight, aggression and a willingness to die for the cause and we seem to have lost that mentality at the moment. I accept that there may be technically better players but we do have players like Albrighton and Fuchs who would inject a bit more passion and willingness to fight. You would expect James (both of them) and Gray gagging to get on and fight for a place. Praet is a prime example of a a player on the periphery performing for a regular spot. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

The last 48 hours have seen a lot soul searching on this forum but it seems to me the most plausible explanation for our post Christmas slump is ver simple; we lack motivation.

Until Christmas anything was possible, after it the most probable outcome of a top 4 finish became evident and the poor form of our nearest rivals reinforced that impression.

Subconsciously, there was little to play for. We weren’t going to win the league, we certainly weren’t going to be relegated, we were almost certainly going to improve on last season and there was a very good chance we were going to qualify for the Champions League. I’m sure the players were keen to avoid complacency but these things are almost beyond our control.

Put simply, in a 50:50 challenge or before a big match, the extra determination to come out on top comes from within and fear or the prospect of glory drives that feeling. 

All the clues are there, a lack of intensity, a certain adversity to risk, few goals in the last 10 minutes and saving the best performances for the best teams. 

The answer is a mix of fear of losing the Champions League spot and desire for FA Cup glory. Success on Weds is as important for that reason as to win the cup itself.

Some may say they get paid too much for this to happen but the brain works the same way regardless. The danger, which we are currently encountering, is that once in a rut confidence falls and becoming motivated again doesn’t work.

It’s certainly possible. Add to that paper talk of big money moves. 

59 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

I'm sorry but if securing Champions League football for only the 2nd time in our history isn't motivation for these players then I despair. Not all of them are destined for Liverpool or Man City next season and guaranteed CL football regardless. Vardy, Kasper, Evans, Barnes, Praet, Perez, Choudhury will all be here next season whatever we do and there's no way they don't want to be amongst the best, likewise Ndidi, Ricardo, Tielemans, Soyuncu will all be striving for it and that leaves Maddison and Chilwell. Neither are a shoe in for the Euros at this rate and Chilwell surely is vastly playing his way out of a move with every game he plays.

This is an opportunity to be part of only a handful of teams to qualify for the CL that isn't one of the usual mob, they'd have the media and other clubs eating out of their hands and they need to find the ability to handle this moment and deliver, because if they don't it could well stunt some of their careers and that should be enough to nip any motivation issues in the bud.

Massive week ahead of us now, we need 2 wins and things will be slightly more on track again.

• Like 3

Suspect confidence took a knock after the Liverpool and Man  City games.We seem to have slowed down and look tentative and I wonder if it is fear of making mistakes.Players looked gutted after Norwich don't think it is lack of motivation.

Losing Wilf and Jamie carrying injuries has not helped. We will need both back to have a good chance of beating an aggressive pressing team like  Villa - but if we play like we did against Man City at home perhaps with that formation I think we can do it.

• Like 1

Cannot believe motivation is low, as even they think we are not genuinely looking to consistently challenge, they should be doing their best to play the fewk out of here!

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm sorry but if securing Champions League football for only the 2nd time in our history isn't motivation for these players then I despair. Not all of them are destined for Liverpool or Man City next season and guaranteed CL football regardless. Vardy, Kasper, Evans, Barnes, Praet, Perez, Choudhury will all be here next season whatever we do and there's no way they don't want to be amongst the best, likewise Ndidi, Ricardo, Tielemans, Soyuncu will all be striving for it and that leaves Maddison and Chilwell. Neither are a shoe in for the Euros at this rate and Chilwell surely is vastly playing his way out of a move with every game he plays.

This is an opportunity to be part of only a handful of teams to qualify for the CL that isn't one of the usual mob, they'd have the media and other clubs eating out of their hands and they need to find the ability to handle this moment and deliver, because if they don't it could well stunt some of their careers and that should be enough to nip any motivation issues in the bud.

Massive week ahead of us now, we need 2 wins and things will be slightly more on track again.

It’s not lack of motivation or lack of effort is it, you know that, I don’t know why you even dignified it with a reply.

Its generally the go to explanation for anyone who doesn’t actually understand the game whether it’s the actual reason or not.

• Like 3

So some prefer to think it’s just bad luck or blame Rodgers, while others make sweeping platitudes like ‘all young teams are inconsistent’ without suggesting why.

i knew someone would fall back on ‘well it should be enough motivation’ or ‘they’re well paid professionals’ argument but that gets us nowhere.

Motivation is complex and largely internally generated. It stems from our sense of self worth and the avoidance of pain as much as ambition. Young players want to ‘make it’ but when they have they often have a moment of reflection on why they want this and whether it’s enough.

Its common enough and the good news is that a wise manager knows this and doesn’t panic. Some posts here however prefer to blame.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mr Weller said:

.. how do you explain the Carabao Cup  semi final performances!!

How much more motivation do you need when you are so close to a cup final and a potential trophy. At the start of the season it was let us win a trophy for Khun Vichai as it would be a fitting testament. 

We failed to turn up in both legs, we were mindnumbingly poor. 

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1

I wondered about the Carabou Cup defeat  but I think by that time the pattern had been set and the team just assumed they could the turn the tap back on, but it’s not as simple as that.

Villa were clever enough to see we were vulnerable and our players are talented but a little naive at times. 

The good news is that if I’m right we will probably come back into form on Weds. Let’s hope so.

Champions League football should be enough motivation. The most plausible explanation is the players themselves.

De Laet said the team ignored Ranieri when his tactics didn't work and did their own thing. Morgan said all communication with the team went through him. The players clearly and obviously wanted Ranieri gone and the same with Puel. It's possible they're tussling with Rodgers' lack of plan B, and he's fighting back as Puel did, and it is in no way going down well. I've no "sources" or what have you.

Or they're not fighting back, Vardy really was ill, and we're going through the motions of having our only creative source, our midfield, bullied into submission and it may improve once Ndidi returns.

Edited by Foxxed

15 hours ago, bennytwohats said:

I think its against the rules to post something as sensible as this :mad:

• Haha 3

We have seen the advantages of buying youth - players with potential to grow into players that we couldn't afford or attract, increased sell on fees etc.

Now we are seeing the disadvantages of that same policy.  There are no leaders on the pitch, no physicality running through the team, perhaps a lack of character that comes with experience.

The youngsters are fine when things are going their way but perhaps we need a general to add some steel, wake us up and drag us through this tough time?

edit - Is there a recall option on Slim?  He is at least a nasty fecker.  I think we could use him right now.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1