Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Pearson and Percy

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

By simple and straightforward questions do you mean the constant questions about whether he is going to be sacked or not? Which he can't answer anyway.

I don't think Nigel was without fault (personality wise) but lets not use his patience finally running out with Stringer as any kind of indictment on his persona.

No.  I genuinely mean simple football questions like "why did we struggle to create chances tonight?" after some drab home 0-0 draw or 0-1 defeat.

And whilst Stringer did used to ask a few silly questions, I would've thought dealing with them should've been a doddle for any half competent manager.  I don't remember any of our other recent managers (from Paulo Sousa to Brendan Rogers), having the same problems ... and I'm sure Stringer would've asked them all same stupid questions!

Re persona.  That's an interesting one ...  

Alex Ferguson was sweetness and light if he was happy, but could be a vindictive bully and a tyrant to anyone who crossed him.  He got many a journalist banned from Old Trafford, for having dared to ask awkward or embarrassing questions.

How we treat people who annoy or irritate us (whether justified or now), says a lot about what sort of person we are.   Especially if that other person, is just doing a job they are paid to do.  And journalists asking awkward/silly/annoying questions is one of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

No.  I genuinely mean simple football questions like "why did we struggle to create chances tonight?" after some drab home 0-0 draw or 0-1 defeat.

And whilst Stringer did used to ask a few silly questions, I would've thought dealing with them should've been a doddle for any half competent manager.  I don't remember any of our other recent managers (from Paulo Sousa to Brendan Rogers), having the same problems ... and I'm sure Stringer would've asked them all same stupid questions!

Re persona.  That's an interesting one ...  

Alex Ferguson was sweetness and light if he was happy, but could be a vindictive bully and a tyrant to anyone who crossed him.  He got many a journalist banned from Old Trafford, for having dared to ask awkward or embarrassing questions.

How we treat people who annoy or irritate us (whether justified or now), says a lot about what sort of person we are.   Especially if that other person, is just doing a job they are paid to do.  And journalists asking awkward/silly/annoying questions is one of them.

Funny you mention Paulo Sousa because i remember him smooching Stringer with a coffee and biscuits. Difference is that bloke lost 6-1 to Portsmouth and this bloke won us a league title and set up all the foundations for our greatest ever achievement. I don't understand why so many want to look on certain aspects of his personality and ignore all he did for us.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Funny you mention Paulo Sousa because i remember him smooching Stringer with a coffee and biscuits. Difference is that bloke lost 6-1 to Portsmouth and this bloke won us a league title and set up all the foundations for our greatest ever achievement. I don't understand why so many want to look on certain aspects of his personality and ignore all he did for us.

I'm not ignoring any of what he did for us.  

He was absolutely excellent for us - a superb manager  (in 2 separate spells at our club). 

And laid the foundations for the greatest event in the history of the universe.

I am truly glad he graced us with his presence.

I just think there's a rather unsavoury side to him, and that he's got some anger management issues.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

I'm not ignoring any of what he did for us.  

He was absolutely excellent for us - a superb manager  (in 2 separate spells at our club). 

And laid the foundations for the greatest event in the history of the universe.

I am truly glad he graced us with his presence.

I just think there's a rather unsavoury side to him, and that he's got some anger management issues.

...he has, and clearly he has been working on that aspect of his personality!!!

I suspect he rather be the Nigel Pearson now that the one that he was five years ago. Clearly getting to love himself, having seen the media interactions of late.

The previous behaviour would have stemmed from insecurity and manifested it self in a prickly persona.

• Like 1

This is my personal shout based on loads of stuff ranging from football played to personality and signings!

Top 6 Managers: Rogers, Raneiri, Pearson, O’Neil, Ericsson, Little, Adams.

Bottom 6 Managers: McGee, Wilkinson, Sousa, Megson, Levein, Puel, Holloway.

40 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

This is my personal shout based on loads of stuff ranging from football played to personality and signings!

Am I being dim here?  You've named 7 in each list...

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Am I being dim here?  You've named 7 in each list...

I was pretty out of it when I started tbh.

And I started with three.

I honestly think given my state that I should receive credit for equal numbers of each. That was my target towards the end.

14 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he has, and clearly he has been working on that aspect of his personality!!!

I suspect he rather be the Nigel Pearson now that the one that he was five years ago. Clearly getting to love himself, having seen the media interactions of late.

The previous behaviour would have stemmed from insecurity and manifested it self in a prickly persona.

Tbf he has been pretty calm on and off the pitch regardless of the results.

Be it beating Liverpool or Man U or losing at Villa in the 94th minute.

And well us Watford fans will be used to bland press conferences without real moments of enlightenment comments wise.

At least he is open and honest with team /injury news.

Some have said least they can fully understand him!!

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

...there is a time where we were playing some open exciting football!!!

The only problem was we left ourselves very open at the back making us very vulnerable. We were terrific at times, a high tempo, the players having bought in to McGee ideas were loving this new and adventurous style of play. Such a shame he could not keep the backdoor tight as what I was seeing looked like we could play in the top league with a style matching the top teams.

It was not to be, he took the move to Wolves and we moved on.

As for Sousa, it was pretty much the same with the style he tried to introduce, my main disappointment was that Andy King did not get the run and the chance to play in a way that enhanced his abilities. He was a goal machine that season and looked every inch a player that had come into his own. The results tanked and Sousa was gone, we went to Sven, spent money bought in players galore and Kingy no longer had the platform to perform.

• Like 2

The Pearson outbursts during the great escape season was imo a tactic used to make out that everyone was against us, and that we'd be motivated to prove everyone wrong. I don't believe for one minute that he didn't know or think about the consequences of what he was saying. 

Even fergie, mourinho and many other top managers have had similar outbursts and I don't think that was because they lost their rag. Ultimately Pearson may have gone too far with some of his comments but it wasn't because he lost control, more down to the reaction to his comments being worse then he expected. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, shailen said:

The Pearson outbursts during the great escape season was imo a tactic used to make out that everyone was against us, and that we'd be motivated to prove everyone wrong. I don't believe for one minute that he didn't know or think about the consequences of what he was saying. 

Even fergie, mourinho and many other top managers have had similar outbursts and I don't think that was because they lost their rag. Ultimately Pearson may have gone too far with some of his comments but it wasn't because he lost control, more down to the reaction to his comments being worse then he expected. 

I’m a huge Pearson fan but the ostrich outburst was far from controlled. His face was flushed and he was struggling to get his words out, it’s like he was pissed up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

I’m a huge Pearson fan but the ostrich outburst was far from controlled. His face was flushed and he was struggling to get his words out, it’s like he was pissed up.

Just for old times ... I watched the 'Ostrich' and 'Pat Murphy' press conferences.

It's David Brent-esque cringeworthy

8 hours ago, Stadt said:

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He was. 

I wouldn't say he was pissed up but drink had definitely been consumed.

As for Pat Murphy, he took it upon himself to be "the voice of the Midlands" but let's just say the press pack in the region don't hold him in as high regard as he appears to hold himself.

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I wouldn't say he was pissed up but drink had definitely been consumed.

As for Pat Murphy, he took it upon himself to be "the voice of the Midlands" but let's just say the press pack in the region don't hold him in as high regard as he appears to hold himself.

Pat Murphy's 'effort' against him was a hilariously bad showing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Pat Murphy "overplayed his hand" a bit at that press conference.   He made some valid points early on, but didn't know when to stop.

Looking back ... Nigel Pearson handled Pat Murphy quite well, with his "yeah whatever, do i give a sh*t" attitude.

But his treatment of that young reporter the previous day ("ostrichgate"), was well out of order, and showed a really nasty bullying side to his personality.

He did applogise to him later, so at least he was big enough to realise his mistake.  Credit where it's due.

2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Pat Murphy "overplayed his hand" a bit at that press conference.   He made some valid points early on, but didn't know when to stop.

Pearson had answered quite a few questions with other journalists about the Ostrich thing - before moving on to other topics - and he was rightly embarrassed and apologetic about the night before.

(Worth pointing out that Ian Baker, the journalist who was on the end of the rant, accepted the apology immediately and never had any issue with NP before or after)

I can understand why Pat wanted to ask a couple of questions (after making the journey to the press conference) but once Pearson played a straight bat, most normal people would have got the message and moved on.

Pat just droned on and on and the more Nigel employed a forward defensive, the more Pat got riled. He just embarrassed himself.

I was at Norwich-Bournemouth this season, a game where both sides had a man sent off, Bournemouth lost to a relegation rival to continue their dreadful run of form (4pts from 9 games to leave them 3 pts from safety) and Pat's first question to Eddie Howe was about the ref going to the monitor to make a decision!! Eddie rolled his eyes and politely batted his first couple of questions away before he was asked about the important stuff.

• Like 4