Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Poco

Worst modern day XI

People haven’t seen some of the rubbish we’ve had if they put ghazzal in it. Shouldn’t even be on the list.

the fact the worst out of the 2 Hungarians wasn’t on the list. (Bori)

Peter Gilbert left back should be on the list too.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Hernandez was a centre back who could play right back when we signed him, and if I remember correctly he mainly played right back.

Didn’t he play at right back in the first Champions League game against Bruges away?

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Josh Low, on the other hand, remains the worse player I've ever seen here.

2 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

No worst XI would be complete without Joe Hammill. 

These two I think were the worst I've seen in terms of ability. McGivern at least had the excuse of being young. 

Can't think of enough to fill an entire team but would definitely have Pressman, Wise and Lewis in there.

Worst I've ever seen play for us is Josh Low by a country mile. Genuinely an exciting moment when I read we were selling him to Peterborough!

2 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Just when you think life can’t get much worse, along comes this thread .......

It has been done now so many times before now. Most of these names are best forgotten about. If you're old/unfortunate enough to remember Tony Sealy or Ricky Hill up front or prior to that Lammie Robertson in midfield some of these players listed were actually a godsend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gazza M said:

Andy Lonerghan says it all! Good keeper for Shef Wed, but by the time we got him it was like having a wheelie bin in goal! 

Pressman, Dublin, Keown, Gemmill, Makin, Wilcox- might've been a decent Premier League team ten years earlier but never going to be good enough to do anything in the Championship.

Micky Adams did good things for the club but his final few months hindered us badly going forward.

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Hernandez was a centre back who could play right back when we signed him, and if I remember correctly he mainly played right back.

Yeah that sounds about right.

I can’t agree that he deserves to be in the Worst XI (that’s to the OP not you Facecloth). 

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

Pressman, Dublin, Keown, Gemmill, Makin, Wilcox- might've been a decent Premier League team ten years earlier but never going to be good enough to do anything in the Championship.

Micky Adams did good things for the club but his final few months hindered us badly going forward.

Great point about Micky Adams.

His era is worth a thread on its own to dissect the shambles he arrived at as assistant, bankruptcy, the marvellous promotion he guided, the so near but so far relegation (we were no way amongst the worst three that season. Should've been mid table), la manga and his disastrous summer signings after relegation that damaged us for years 

For what it's worth, I'm probably in a minority of one here, but his.mentor Dave Bassett moved on after the final relegation and I think his ability to wheel and deal and cut through the crap was sorely missed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

It has been done now so many times before now. Most of these names are best forgotten about. If you're old/unfortunate enough to remember Tony Sealy or Ricky Hill up front or prior to that Lammie Robertson in midfield some of these players listed were actually a godsend. 

Don’t forget Tommy English and Roger Davies

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 49er said:

Don’t forget Tommy English and Roger Davies

How can I forget Tommy English? - the fact that we traded Jim Melrose for him from Cov still haunts me. 

I once saw Roger Davies tread on the ball and fall over in front of an open goal. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Line-X said:

How can I forget Tommy English? - the fact that we traded Jim Melrose for him from Cov still haunts me. 

I once saw Roger Davies tread on the ball and fall over in front of an open goal. 

The Melrose - English swap was terrible business. However because English was so crap, young winger Gary Lineker got the chance to play up front. The rest is histoty.

I remember Roger Davies (Frank Worthingtons sucessor WTF!!!) falling over the ball against Cambridge, I think, it led directly to us conceding a goal.

• Like 2

Not sure if any of these are worse than names mentioned but:

Depending on how far we're going back I always remember being Lee Marshall being pretty poor.

Andy Johnson in midfield.

Paul Henderson in goal - seem to remember most of his goal kicks going out for throw ins.

Edited by Guesty

31 minutes ago, boots60 said:

The Melrose - English swap was terrible business. However because English was so crap, young winger Gary Lineker got the chance to play up front. The rest is histoty.

I remember Roger Davies (Frank Worthingtons sucessor WTF!!!) falling over the ball against Cambridge, I think, it led directly to us conceding a goal.

English came as a striker and ended up playing left midfield! 

We had some poor Premier League players, the likes of Lee Marshall etc, but remember that was the top flight. It was the dross that ultimately ended with our drop in to league one where truly our worse players were. Similar at the start of the 90s in the Pleat era. My only exception was Junior Lewis. A league 2 player well out of his depth in the Premier League. 

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

The Mercury headline read something like “City sign England international” really exciting until finding out who it was 

• Haha 1