Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Best Sporting achievement ever

Is our 5000/1 title win the biggest ever achievement in sport? 

The reason I beg the question is I'm watching (Rewatching) Free solo, a documentary following free solo climber Alex Honnald and his accomplishment in climbing El Capitan 7,500ft with no ropes. Sounds incredible enough, but to actually watch it is jaw dropping.  Whether its classed as a sport may be debatable. 

A fellow climber on there described it as having to get an Olympic gold medal in an event and if you don't you die. 

I would recommend anybody giving it a watch

The answer is obvs us winning the PL but outside of that I'd say the Miracle at Medina Ryder Cup in 2012.

At one stage Europe were trailing 10-4 then won the last two Saturday four ball matches with Poulter unbelievably birdying his last 5 holes to make it 10-6

Even then the US were still massive favorites but somehow Europe not only retained the cup but miraculously won it.

That final day is probably the best sporting drama and achievement I've ever seen and like the equivalent of being 4-0 down away at halftime and coming back to win 4-5

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 3

In terms of raw odds, the LCFC title win speaks for itself, it is the biggest sporting single-event thing to ever happen in terms of odds offered.

In terms of raw human achievement there are probably rivals (Chrissie Wellington going undefeated over the Ironman distance for her entire career certainly is one) but it depend how you are measuring, I guess.

Edited by leicsmac

Weren't the odds for Elvis being found alive 2000/1 or something? When you break it down as someone who literally died was more likely to be found alive than us winning the league, how can it be anything other than our achievement? Not having some virgin climbing a rock is more impressive.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Alex Honnald and his accomplishment in climbing El Capitan 7,500ft with no ropes. Sounds incredible enough, but to actually watch it is jaw dropping. 

incredible, but...not sport IMO

• Like 3

Nah, it's Forest winning back to back European cups after winning the First Division title, doubling the British transfer record and win the European Cup in an era of it being a 32-team competition which saw them compete in a total of 18 games across those two seasons.

That's miles better than a team which staved off relegation with a miracle streak, lost just three games across a 38-game season in an era of billion-pound Premier League squads where our transfer record was just £9.5 million.

• Like 3

LCFC 2016 is, of course, "the greatest of aa-aa-ll time!!" (M. Ali), but....

Headingley Test 1981:

- Australia (1) 401-9 dec

- England (1) 174 all out

- England (2) 135-7......still needing almost 100 to avoid an innings defeat with 3 wickets standing........

-->

- England (2) 356 all out (Botham 149 off 148 balls; Dilley 56 at No. 9; Old 29 at No. 10)

- Australia (2) 56-1, needing 74 more to win with 9 wickets standing...

-->

- Australia (2) 111 all out (Willis 8-43). England win by 18 runs

My title as Folkestone & Shepway District Cub Scouts Under-11 (Joint) Obstacle Race Champion 1973 also has to be right up there, surely?

Never got the recognition I deserved.

• Like 1

Don’t want to brag here or anything, but I wasn’t really an athlete at school. I played football and that was about it.

So when I won the 1500m school title in year 10, no one saw it coming. 
I trained hard, and a couple of kids may have come down with a bit of a cold. However, you can only beat what’s in front  of you and I maintain it’s up there with the biggest upsets in sporting history.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Climbing not sport?

Hmm disagree there buddy. 

Thats cool.

I think they are introducing "speed climbing" into the Olympics and that i see as sport, as there is a winner/loser competitor element.

Climbing up a rock on your own, at your own leisure...is more of a hobby.

Mind you if they make my, "zig zag walking to avoid others" an olympic event ill be the first to call it a sport and name myself world champ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Thats cool.

I think they are introducing "speed climbing" into the Olympics and that i see as sport, as there is a winner/loser competitor element.

Climbing up a rock on your own, at your own leisure...is more of a hobby.

Mind you if they make my, "zig zag walking to avoid others" an olympic event ill be the first to call it a sport and name myself world champ.

Speed climbing is a different discipline to general climbing or free climbing. I see where you are coming from, I suppose it depends how you define sport and wether it needs rules competition and governing bodies etc as oppose to fitness, skills and technique and physical abilities alone and a strict notion of how this can be measured.

• Like 1

In my first ever athletic event with no training or knowledge of it beforehand in my work suit I won my Kids Primary School Dad's 100m race by 15 to 20m

I think that takes some beating.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

In my first ever athletic event with no training or knowledge of it beforehand in my work suit I won my Kids Primary School Dad's 100m race by 15 to 20m

I think that takes some beating.

Were the other Dad's running through treacle? 

On 30/03/2020 at 11:01, Footballwipe said:

Nah, it's Forest winning back to back European cups after winning the First Division title, doubling the British transfer record and win the European Cup in an era of it being a 32-team competition which saw them compete in a total of 18 games across those two seasons.

That's miles better than a team which staved off relegation with a miracle streak, lost just three games across a 38-game season in an era of billion-pound Premier League squads where our transfer record was just £9.5 million.

I like how Forest fans only become interested in being the “best sporting achievement” when pundits started saying ours was the best. 

As impressive as it is there are so many conveniently forgotten facts for that Forest achievement, they were up there for spending around that time, they spent as much on Trevor Francis as we did on Vardy but the transfers were over 30 years apart. 

As far as an underdog achievement goes our title is clear.

Denmark winning Euro 92 when they didn’t even qualify. They only got in because Yugoslavia were kicked out because of the war in the balkans. They didn’t have much time to prepare but went on to win it. Truly amazing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Denmark winning Euro 92 when they didn’t even qualify. They only got in because Yugoslavia were kicked out because of the war in the balkans. They didn’t have much time to prepare but went on to win it. Truly amazing.

Especially when you considered England have never won it.

Wiki

The European Championship is one of the major competitive international football tournaments, first played in 1960. The finals stage of the tournament takes place every four years, with a qualifying competition beforehand. The 15th staging of the finals took place in France in 2016, with an upcoming 16th tournament to be held across Europe in 2020.

The England national football team first attempted to qualify for the finals of the tournament in 1964, having declined to enter in 1960. They first qualified in 1968, and have since participated in the finals on nine occasions (with an upcoming tenth appearance in 2020) – including in 1996, when they were the host nation and thus did not need to qualify.[1][2][3]

England's best performances at the finals were a third-place finish in Italy in 1968, when only four teams competed, and a semi-final on home soil in 1996, when they lost to Germany on penalties.[4] The team has reached the quarter-finals on two other occasions, losing to host nation Portugal on penalties in 2004 and to Italy in Ukraine in 2012, also on penalties.[5][6][7] They were eliminated in the round of 16 by Iceland in France in 2016. On the other four occasions (1980, 1988, 1992 and 2000), they did not progress beyond the group stages