Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
merlin1969

Philippe Coutinho to Leicester whispers

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

But other players we'll have on 4 or 5 year deals, so can still make use of them after the injury has healed (unless it's obviously a career ending one). With this if he got injured for even 8-10 weeks we'd have lost him for a third of the season, costing us 9m in that time.

It won't happen anyway, but yeah.

Any signing is a risk, but you can't operate thinking "what if they get injured" or you'll never sign anyone. He cost Barca stupid money, so any deal that see's him leave either on loan or permanently will involve big money. It probably wont happen... but you can guarantee who ever he goes to, if it is a PL side will finish above us, he is world class when he is up to it. Which just highlights how much of a blunder flopping out of the top four is in terms of our finances. 

2 hours ago, Wortho said:

I can’t see Coutinho joining a club not in the CL

This applies not only to him but to so many other players too. I'm afraid we will be looking at our B list of players now whereas a few weeks ago the options would have been far more exciting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, casablancas said:

I’d love Bailey but would he come? I think after the last 4 months we are in desperate need of experience. We have a lot of exiting young lads and a few on the over end of the scale. We lack those experienced pro’s who have experienced competition’s across Europe. 

I swear no one on here has seen Bailey actually play. He's got all the ability but he's not got the end product just yet, takes too many shots outside the box that go sailing over the crossbar, really poor decision making considering the positions he gets in, doesnt make runs like barnes into the box for goals. If we want experience Bailey is not the player to go for.

• Like 4

No way we play £27 million for one season. If it was to pay off and we make the champions league, we are then required to either sign him for significant sums or find a replacement just as good. Just not the way we’ve developed the club over the years. Phillips Coutinho is not our Maradona at Napoli signing - we’ll be fine with or without him for that price. 

4 hours ago, casablancas said:

I’d love Bailey but would he come? I think after the last 4 months we are in desperate need of experience. We have a lot of exiting young lads and a few on the over end of the scale. We lack those experienced pro’s who have experienced competition’s across Europe. 

Bailey was just a random name I could come up with who would cost around that figure. He (like Coutinho) probably wouldn't come - although stranger things have happened - but the point was that his ability is similar to that of Coutinho but he would come at half the cost AND we'd see a return on that investment AND we could sign someone else who is also a similar level.

Net spend is slightly disingenuous as most transfers nowadays are paid in instalments and even for FFP (as if that matters anymore...) player value is amortised over the duration of the players' contracts, so signing Coutinho would 'cost' us the same as buying both Bailey and Demiral, for instance. I know which one(s) I'd rather have in the squad. Again, those names are just people we've been linked with in that 'tier' of value - we could just as easily buy a couple 26-28 year olds who have similar ability, but more value to the squad/club than Coutinho would in 12 months.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, casablancas said:

Who? For 18 million who is about that would add his quality?

Not of his quality, but we could sign a good player. Take Eze, for example. Lots of potential, all the attributes. Coutinho would be here for a year and that's it. And there's a very good chance he wouldn't be particularly useful either for the price we'd pay. Keep in mind 18 million is just the loan fee, we're also talking 9 million in wages.

5 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Any signing is a risk, but you can't operate thinking "what if they get injured" or you'll never sign anyone. He cost Barca stupid money, so any deal that see's him leave either on loan or permanently will involve big money. It probably wont happen... but you can guarantee who ever he goes to, if it is a PL side will finish above us, he is world class when he is up to it. Which just highlights how much of a blunder flopping out of the top four is in terms of our finances. 

How on earth do you figure that? You're overating him. He has not been in good form for two years, and at Bayern he was given plenty of opportunities in his favoured position. There's nothing that guarantees he will find good form, and be the difference, for any squad that signs him. Him going to a team won't magically make them finish above us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I swear no one on here has seen Bailey actually play. He's got all the ability but he's not got the end product just yet, takes too many shots outside the box that go sailing over the crossbar, really poor decision making considering the positions he gets in, doesnt make runs like barnes into the box for goals. If we want experience Bailey is not the player to go for.

So he's just a Jamaican Demarai Gray? 

4 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

So he's just a Jamaican Demarai Gray? 

Honestly pretty much, although he did have a really good season a while back with 9 goals 6 assists which is where most of the hype comes from i assume. Whenever ive watched him he just seems like demarai gray 2.0, just a really frustrating player who could do a lot more with his natural ability but just doesnt have the experience pull it off. Definitely better options for the 30 mil quoted.

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

The only time I've ever saw him play was the Gold cup last year for Jamaica and he was completely unremarkable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

Honestly pretty much, although he did have a really good season a while back with 9 goals 6 assists which is where most of the hype comes from i assume. Whenever ive watched him he just seems like demarai gray 2.0, just a really frustrating player who could do a lot more with his natural ability but just doesnt have the experience pull it off. Definitely better options for the 30 mil quoted.

This is why we pay scouts. I did wonder why he wasn’t getting starts for BL. 

Cant say I watch enough football outside the premier league to ever really be confident on who’s coming in. 

• Thanks 1

Just playing devil's advocate, but at what price would people want to sign coutinho on a four year deal? And what resale value would he have at 32 (assuming he didn't leave on a free)?

Pay £65m and get £10m back? Net spend of £55m over 4 years? A profile of value of yr1 £18m, yr2 £15m, yr3 £12m and yr4 £10m, doesn't sound that crazy. So we could just see it as paying just the year 1 element of his net value, with out the risk of being stuck with him for the other three years if he isn't really motivated with the extra £37m tied up.... And hopefully getting him for something like £47m next year, if he turns out really good?

Not wanted by Barcelona, Man City, Liverpool, Munich, Juventus etc, 

I’m surprised he hasn’t been used in a makeweight transfer to bring Neymar back to Camp Nou, as realistically they are the only club I can see paying the ridiculous wage fee.

His best position is central, not really an area we’re looking to upgrade on, when you consider we’ve done a deal with Maddison on a new contract.  

When his Barca Contract expires in 2023, I can’t see him commanding the same wage. Barca need to shed players, as they’re a club largely in a mess (as eluded to by Messi). They’ll potentially need to either find a way to use him for the next two years, or subsidise a wage. 

A few of these players sitting at the big Spanish clubs now. The likes of Rodriguez, Bale, Coutinho, Turan, Dembele, Hazard, Asensio, Jovic etc 

They’ve paid massive, massive money for them at a point in time and they aren’t getting game time. They’ll struggle to sell them, as they’re being paid silly money which they won’t get elsewhere. So they end up being loaned, season, after season ......

Even in the Premier League, Sanchez and Ozil stand out. Manchester United have little choice but to stand by De Gea as he’s reportedly on £19.5m / year until 2025! Who else is paying that!?!? That’s £78m in wages for the next 4 years alone. 

The players will always take the money, why wouldn’t they? 

It’s the clubs that have got to re-evaluate how they do business. As I’ve said before, the game is 11 v 11 at any given time. Paying £100m+ for a player to get little gain, isn’t the way forwards. They don’t play, the value depreciates. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Not wanted by Barcelona, Man City, Liverpool, Munich, Juventus etc, 

I’m surprised he hasn’t been used in a makeweight transfer to bring Neymar back to Camp Nou, as realistically they are the only club I can see paying the ridiculous wage fee.

His best position is central, not really an area we’re looking to upgrade on, when you consider we’ve done a deal with Maddison on a new contract.  

When his Barca Contract expires in 2023, I can’t see him commanding the same wage. Barca need to shed players, as they’re a club largely in a mess (as eluded to by Messi). They’ll potentially need to either find a way to use him for the next two years, or subsidise a wage. 

A few of these players sitting at the big Spanish clubs now. The likes of Rodriguez, Bale, Coutinho, Turan, Dembele, Hazard, Asensio, Jovic etc 

They’ve paid massive, massive money for them at a point in time and they aren’t getting game time. They’ll struggle to sell them, as they’re being paid silly money which they won’t get elsewhere. So they end up being loaned, season, after season ......

Even in the Premier League, Sanchez and Ozil stand out. Manchester United have little choice but to stand by De Gea as he’s reportedly on £19.5m / year until 2025! Who else is paying that!?!? That’s £78m in wages for the next 4 years alone. 

The players will always take the money, why wouldn’t they? 

It’s the clubs that have got to re-evaluate how they do business. As I’ve said before, the game is 11 v 11 at any given time. Paying £100m+ for a player to get little gain, isn’t the way forwards. They don’t play, the value depreciates. 

But teams like Man U always will and I can’t stand it!

even if they finished 5th, heck even if they finished mid table this season they would still sign whoever they want!! I can’t stand that club, been a mess for years and I hope they get bit in the arse with all this money spending but looking at their neighbours it looks like nothing will be done!

3 hours ago, jmono84 said:

But teams like Man U always will and I can’t stand it!

even if they finished 5th, heck even if they finished mid table this season they would still sign whoever they want!! I can’t stand that club, been a mess for years and I hope they get bit in the arse with all this money spending but looking at their neighbours it looks like nothing will be done!

Frustrating really isn’t it! Stockpile talent! 

......... if only the sport had a wage cap! 

• Like 2