Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
merlin1969

Philippe Coutinho to Leicester whispers

I dont expect him to come... but, if we are going to be a regular Champions League team, we will start to spend big $ on fees and wages.

We cannot expect to continue to remain as challengers with "young hungry" players, pure quality, class... and cost is the future.

14 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

You added a line in bold about unproven PL record signings. Just wondered who you mean? 

Oh I see.

I meant as in unproven marquee signings with no experience in the PL. Slimani, Silva and Inler are the ones that stick out with Cambiasso the only exception to the rule I can think of.

Players like Kante, Vardy, Mahrez obviously had no experience but weren't marquee at the time. 

Courtinho is proven in this league so I don't think we can categorise him in the first list. 

Edited by Collymore

12 hours ago, shailen said:

He's an amazing player, no doubt, but I'd question our transfer policy at this stage to pursue a player like him. Historically, we have gone for players with something to prove and we have done really well signing young players who have something to prove, unknown players who have turned out to be absolute stars and older players who have been rejected by others. All with something to prove. 

Coutinho was the star man at Liverpool and got a move to probably the biggest club in the world. Why would he want to come here? Yes he's an amazing player, but I'd highly doubt he'd have the drive, hunger and attitude to not upset the existing team morale and become a fully fledged member of our team. 

People will talk about the next level, but we're not there yet to be a called a big club and I fear us going down the route of Stoke before us who had signed some really big names to their downfall. It's too soon imo to be realistically looking at players like him. 

stopped reading here.

5 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Loan only for me. Cant believe folks seem relaxed about us spending £66m on a player who's clearly talented yet been struggling in last 2 years for form.

It just isn't us... 

£66m in this market (I say that as in before corona) is a dip in the ocean though when you consider his global reputation and the fact he went for twice that to Barca. 

I'd imagine the revenue gained globally through shirt sales and a new batch of plastics would be immense too. 

He could also be the difference between qualifying for the Champions League again next season which is worth tens of millions in itself. 

I think Top wants this to coincide with the training ground opening for a real statement of intent. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Oh I see.

I meant as in unproven marquee signings with no experience in the PL. Slimani, Silva and Inler are the ones that stick out with Cambiasso the only exception to the rule I can think of.

Players like Kante, Vardy, Mahrez obviously had no experience but weren't marquee at the time. 

Courtinho is proven in this league so I don't think we can categorise him with the first list. 

Oh yeah, I agree with that

I was wracking my brains trying to remember a record signing with PL (or top tier) experience that was a success with us.

Allan Clarke (arguable)? 

7 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Loan only for me. Cant believe folks seem relaxed about us spending £66m on a player who's clearly talented yet been struggling in last 2 years for form.

It just isn't us... 

I think players and agents and even clubs may be in for quite a shock on transfer fees and wages. The virus may well be a complete game changer, especially in the short term. Quite likely player values have halved so far and may drop even further is revenue streams are threatened for a longer period of time.Right now can't see any club in their right mind throwing 50 million at a player.

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Oh yeah, I agree with that

I was wracking my brains trying to remember a record signing with PL (or top tier) experience that was a success with us.

Allan Clarke (arguable)? 

Roger Davies? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, reynard said:

I think players and agents and even clubs may be in for quite a shock on transfer fees and wages. The virus may well be a complete game changer, especially in the short term. Quite likely player values have halved so far and may drop even further is revenue streams are threatened for a longer period of time.Right now can't see any club in their right mind throwing 50 million at a player.

If the championship resets itself,or many of it’s members go into administration anyway.Then the days of 50k a week wages for average prem squad players are over.Not a great time to be out of contract this summer for sure.

26 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Anyone remember that day he utterly rinsed us in the League Cup and then Klopp took him off at half time? Weirdest sub i've ever seen.

Was that the year when Sliminai got the winner? I just remember from that particular match that it was one of Oxlade Chamberlains first full performances for Liverpool, and he was atrocious. 

30 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Anyone remember that day he utterly rinsed us in the League Cup and then Klopp took him off at half time? Weirdest sub i've ever seen.

Yeah

We played them again in the league on the following Saturday and he rinsed is again !

Which we were unlucky to lose!. 

8 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Was that the year when Sliminai got the winner? I just remember from that particular match that it was one of Oxlade Chamberlains first full performances for Liverpool, and he was atrocious. 

Yeah Slimani screamer and an Okazaki deflection IIRC.

• Like 1

We all thought Cambiasso was unrealistic. That was after our first season back in the prem. Since then, we have won the league (something else that we thought would be unrealistic) and played champions league football (The best British team in the competition that season, something else you’d think would be unrealistic.) as well as likely more champions league football to come, I wouldn’t say it’s as bonkers as everything thinks. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bert said:

We all thought Cambiasso was unrealistic. That was after our first season back in the prem. Since then, we have won the league (something else that we thought would be unrealistic) and played champions league football (The best British team in the competition that season, something else you’d think would be unrealistic.) as well as likely more champions league football to come, I wouldn’t say it’s as bonkers as everything thinks. 

Yeah but theres a bit of a difference isn't there.

• Like 1