Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
merlin1969

Philippe Coutinho to Leicester whispers

10 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Record signings never work out for us that are unproven in the Premier League.

Rather spend it on stadium improvements. *

* hope this comes back to bite me on the arse. 

Fixed for you. 

18 minutes ago, dayday said:

Merc saying £66 million and Rodgers has made contact with Coutinho's agent, I must be dreaming.

Mentions 3 scenarios:

1. Loan

2. Loan with obligation to buy

3. Buy outright at £66m

Bayern paid £8m for a season's loan according to transfermerkt. Would likely be our preferred option as his wages will be nuts (£240k pw apparently). 

Would be a massive, massive statement of intent though. I'm all for it personally.

• Like 4

He's an amazing player, no doubt, but I'd question our transfer policy at this stage to pursue a player like him. Historically, we have gone for players with something to prove and we have done really well signing young players who have something to prove, unknown players who have turned out to be absolute stars and older players who have been rejected by others. All with something to prove. 

Coutinho was the star man at Liverpool and got a move to probably the biggest club in the world. Why would he want to come here? Yes he's an amazing player, but I'd highly doubt he'd have the drive, hunger and attitude to not upset the existing team morale and become a fully fledged member of our team. 

People will talk about the next level, but we're not there yet to be a called a big club and I fear us going down the route of Stoke before us who had signed some really big names to their downfall. It's too soon imo to be realistically looking at players like him. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, shailen said:

He's an amazing player, no doubt, but I'd question our transfer policy at this stage to pursue a player like him. Historically, we have gone for players with something to prove and we have done really well signing young players who have something to prove, unknown players who have turned out to be absolute stars and older players who have been rejected by others. All with something to prove. 

Coutinho was the star man at Liverpool and got a move to probably the biggest club in the world. Why would he want to come here? Yes he's an amazing player, but I'd highly doubt he'd have the drive, hunger and attitude to not upset the existing team morale and become a fully fledged member of our team. 

People will talk about the next level, but we're not there yet to be a called a big club and I fear us going down the route of Stoke before us who had signed some really big names to their downfall. It's too soon imo to be realistically looking at players like him. 

Stoke never ever signed someone of the level of Coutinho. If they did they wouldn't have gone down. They went down because they had cloggers like Diouf. The negativity on here is incredible. As long as Brendan Rodgers is here and our team is still in place we are going places. To suggest we could end up like Stoke by signing players like Coutinho is madness. He's 27 and a fantastic top class player. 

• Like 4

If this were to happen it would be amazing.

But to put some reality out there....

It's highly likely that very little money will be spent by anybody this summer, or whenever the transfer window is.

Many clubs have furloughed long serving staff. You can't furlough staff then spend £50m on a new signing. Daniel Levy recently referred to current transfer rumours as ridiculous in the current climate.

We obviously haven't gone down that route so could spend money but how long until stadiums are full? Makes a difference to income and available funds.

How long until international deals are realistic?

How to do medicals for the foreseeable?

I suspect the papers have got nothing else to write tbh.

Edited by Toddybad
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Stoke never ever signed someone of the level of Coutinho. If they did they wouldn't have gone down. They went down because they had cloggers like Diouf. The negativity on here is incredible. As long as Brendan Rodgers is here and our team is still in place we are going places. To suggest we could end up like Stoke by signing players like Coutinho is madness. He's 27 and a fantastic top class player. 

Stoke signed Bojan, Shaqiri and Jese amongst many other big 'names' during the latter years of their premier league experience, with relegation soon after. I completely agree that Coutinho is a level above and I'm not saying we will end up like Stoke, but why would he be motivated to come here.

If you had no affinity to Leicester and you moved from Barcelona to us, you would in some regards feel a little bit deflated and unmotivated. I think it's only natural for someone to feel that way. My point is that signing a player like this, who may not have the desire and attitude to play for us could hurt morale in the team and hurt team spirit. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, shailen said:

Stoke signed Bojan, Shaqiri and Jese amongst many other big 'names' during the latter years of their premier league experience, with relegation soon after. I completely agree that Coutinho is a level above and I'm not saying we will end up like Stoke, but why would he be motivated to come here.

If you had no affinity to Leicester and you moved from Barcelona to us, you would in some regards feel a little bit deflated and unmotivated. I think it's only natural for someone to feel that way. My point is that signing a player like this, who may not have the desire and attitude to play for us could hurt morale in the team and hurt team spirit. 

Mate I see the total opposite. It would be easy for him to go to Chelsea, Spurs whoever, If and it's a big if he came here then it would be purely for the challenge and probably Rodgers and the fact we are in champions league. He would surely earn more money staying at Barca or going to a bigger club, so coming here would speak volumes of his attitude. Those players you name were nowhere near Coutinho level. Bojan may have been at Barca but was never a top level player, nor was Jese. Anyway Stoke never got relegated because of Shaqiri or Bojan, it was because they never had enough of that quality, we have it in spades so Coutinho could be the cherry on top. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, shailen said:

Absolute utter nonsense. 

Players like Courtinho don't make it to the top though that kind of attitude you're talking about. 

Rodgers knows him well and is a good judge of character so if we did some how do the unimaginable and sign him, I'm sure his attitude would be spot on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shailen said:

He’s world class, if he comes here it’s for BR though, not Leicester. 

4 hours ago, shailen said:

You appear to be swimming against the tide here but I completely agree with you.

Coutinho at 25 was playing for Brazil and had just took the step up in his career moving from Liverpool to Barcelona. Coming to Leicester at 27yo and signing a 5 year deal has to be a huge comedown and an admission you've failed at the top, top echelons of the game. 

It would be a massive statement by us mind but moving from Barcelona to Leicester with Coutinho's CV is like dating a top actress/supermodel and your next girlfriend is the quite nice looking girl who works on the till in Tesco. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

This is one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" scenarios for me.  It's a fun story but it seems very, very far-fetched.

Same. I've been largely tuned out since this all went down but this just seems beyond the pale.

• Like 1

Some players play for the loves of the game.

Some players play for money. 

Some players play for a challenge.

Some players play for a person. 

Maybe the grass wasn’t greener on the other side, and he enjoyed working under Brendan. Despite stature, maybe he likes the project? 

On 03/04/2020 at 23:17, The Fox Covert said:

I wish! 

With the current ban on non-essential travel has he been scouring Rightmove for suitable places to live in Leicester?

With the professional middle class in Victoria Park or Stoneygate, or somewhere more rural like Jamie Vardy when he lived near Melton?

Think I saw him and his agent having a snoop around Deansburn House off of Aikman Avenue.

5 hours ago, Gerard said:

You appear to be swimming against the tide here but I completely agree with you.

Coutinho at 25 was playing for Brazil and had just took the step up in his career moving from Liverpool to Barcelona. Coming to Leicester at 27yo and signing a 5 year deal has to be a huge comedown and an admission you've failed at the top, top echelons of the game. 

It would be a massive statement by us mind but moving from Barcelona to Leicester with Coutinho's CV is like dating a top actress/supermodel and your next girlfriend is the quite nice looking girl who works on the till in Tesco. 

Exactly my point. There is no doubt Coutinho is a top top player but to move from Barcelona to us, especially when Barcelona was your dream club, it must be demoralising and uninspiring.

9 hours ago, Toddybad said:

If this were to happen it would be amazing.

But to put some reality out there....

It's highly likely that very little money will be spent by anybody this summer, or whenever the transfer window is.

Many clubs have furloughed long serving staff. You can't furlough staff then spend £50m on a new signing. Daniel Levy recently referred to current transfer rumours as ridiculous in the current climate.

We obviously haven't gone down that route so could spend money but how long until stadiums are full? Makes a difference to income and available funds.

How long until international deals are realistic?

How to do medicals for the foreseeable?

I suspect the papers have got nothing else to write tbh.

Which is why the club are interested in a loan deal. The more you hear about it, the more you think it’s possible. He played his best ever football under Rodgers. That’s obviously the biggest pull. European football, an exciting young team where he’ll be the star man. Still only 27. What’s not to like? 

We are a well ran club, haven’t furloughed anyone, are even paying matchday staff the games they’d be missing out on. The money side of it isn’t an issue for us. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

A loan deal is possible, exciting this is.

Oh shit - I forgot about you and transfer excitement. Please try and remember there’s a ventilator demand right now and so try and pace yourself with the Coutinho stories and info buddy.

• Haha 1