Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
merlin1969

Philippe Coutinho to Leicester whispers

3 hours ago, lcfc old boy said:

he left Liverpool, and suddenly Liverpool go up a notch ,then finds form dipping dramatically, probably because the midfield  workers are not around anymore , remind you of anybody who left us in a hurry ,hint begins with c ends in o

Cgary MegsOn?

14 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

It’s happening. 

You think we would sell madders to sign Coutinho ? 

if we sold madders for 120m then maybe but I cannot see us doing Sean’s deal without having at least 40m extra .......

and Man U made the noises yesterday that they can’t be spending big (no I don’t believe Woodward either ) 

49 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Barcelona are at a bit of a crossroads at the minute player-wise. Who knows how long Messi and Suarez have left at the very top. They've failed to integrate Coutinho and Griezmann properly and haven't properly remedied the departures of the irreplaceable Xavi and Iniesta. The players are also at loggerheads with the board at the moment and their recent manager change came as a result of dissatisfaction with the style of play. They're trying to bring Neymar back too, which will also be a factor in trying to source funds from elsewhere. With all that happening in the background, it's no slight on a player if they don't quite live up to expectations, especially when even winning titles and domestic cups isn't good enough for that club.

Since coming to Europe, Coutinho's played for Inter, Liverpool, Barca and Bayern (and Espanyol). That's a great CV. His talent is beyond question. I understand the worry about carrying a 'luxury' player, but workrate is key to Brendan's philosophy. Remember when his Liverpool side dished out some incredible performances in 2013/14, when Sterling was coming through as well. They destroyed teams in minutes. Coutinho was a part of that, and he may well be in his prime now: a savvier, more intelligent player than he was 6 or 7 years ago.

£66m is crazy money for Leicester City to spend on one player. But if it were to happen it puts us in another bracket.  The title win and the seasons since have cemented us as a club that belongs in the Premier League. Now we try to become a club that belongs as a consistent challenger for honours. Players like Coutinho can help us achieve that. And we shouldn't be selling players like Maddison to fund it.

....I agree with every thing you have said but the sale of Maddison realy is the key to this. Personally I do not think we will miss him!!!!!

I would love to see Coutinho here, he seems like a player who plays for the game and money is just a bonus. The upheaval at Barca really does not sound like a club that he or anyone else, would settle into, never heard any negatives coming from him and a wage fee of £150k per week can be done.

Ideally with the CL coming (though there are so many unknowns there it’s foolish to speculate on that) you’d love to have both Coutinho and Maddison.  But if selling Maddison was the key to actually signing Coutinho (which I still think is a fantasy) I’d do it every day and twice on Sunday.  Coutinho is the better player by far.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Yep come on Brendan. Go and sign one of the worlds best attackers who scores 20 plus guaranteed.   Easy

That's not what I meant lol, I meant a winger who's specialty lies more in scoring goals and hard work. Coutinho is a luxury player in that regard as his workrate isn't anything to write home about and he's more of a weird number 10 as winger than an actual winger, the formation needs to accomodate him not the other way around. To me all three of Maddison, Tielemans and Coutinho on the field is a recipe for disaster, we would be more inconsistent than a runny shit. Already throughout the season we saw that playing Tielemans and Maddison together sometimes cost us the midfield, and that was with hardworking wingers like Perez and Albrighton on the field. With Coutinho added in, we would smash some teams by an incredible margin and then get walloped by Watford at home.

That's just my opinion though.

Edited by Nicolo Barella
  • Like 2

I get the luxury player argument. I just somehow can’t get my head round any rhetoric that ends up concluding we need more of a different type of hard working winger... and don’t want Phillipe Coutinho...

That reads well for a bit but then ends in madness.

Id have a row of interchangeable goal scoring number 10’s behind Vardy!

I don't think we're even anywhere close to Coutinho purchase and we're being used as the leverage club to get a move to Chelsea.

The more this virus goes on, I also think this is actually what bursts the football bubble  - or shrinks it a bit. There are going to be a lot of disappointed players this summer.

Fact is the vast majority of club money comes through sponsorship and broadcast rights. For top tier football matchday income is a fraction of it. It's when you see the oil price crash affecting the PSG, Man City and other clubs that we'll see a change. This could well be it.

As for selling Madders to bring in Coutinho - not for me. If we do that, it signals something to the rest of the league and before you know it you've got the likes of Man City offering us John Stones at a stupid price and trying to act like selling them Chillwell would "make it run smoothly".

Edited by fox_up_north
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I get the luxury player argument. I just somehow can’t get my head round any rhetoric that ends up concluding we need more of a different type of hard working winger... and don’t want Phillipe Coutinho...

That reads well for a bit but then ends in madness.

Id have a row of interchangeable goal scoring number 10’s behind Vardy!

I mean, just look at how teams like Bayern and Barcelona have failed to fit him in, with players that are much better than ours in theory you'd be able to pick up his slack and work around his shortcomings, but that hasn't happened. He's the kind of player you need to completely build a team around, and I just don't see us being able to do that with the current players we have.

12 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I mean, just look at how teams like Bayern and Barcelona have failed to fit him in, with players that are much better than ours in theory you'd be able to pick up his slack and work around his shortcomings, but that hasn't happened. He's the kind of player you need to completely build a team around, and I just don't see us being able to do that with the current players we have.

I hear the argument - just think it’s a bit of an overreaction. 

I think on the left side of a 4123 he’d be bloody marv for us - we kept putting Madders out there which didn’t work but that for me is where Coutinho plays.

Ok so realistically unlikely but look at the potential plusses for the player. Everyone in football knows the respect that the club and owners are held in here. We have a top manager (who he knows well) best equipped brand new training ground in Europe on the horizon. An exciting young squad.

Sooner or later if we are to achieve the sort of ambitions we believe the club has then we will need to be looking seriously at players of this calibre and someone has to be the first. Ok so we probably can’t pay the sort of wages he is on without breaking the pay structure and possibly upsetting some of the senior players at this point but maybe, just maybe, he might “get” the project and be prepared to take a pay cut (there could be bonuses based on CL qualifications, league position etc that would boost earnings). Also he may see the chance to be the star man again and that will not harm his international chances either.

the universal perception is that all players are only motivated by how much they can earn but this is not always true. He should already have more in the bank than he can probably spend in a lifetime so who knows. Stranger things have happened and I won’t be holding my breath but if it did then what a statement of intent it would be.

21 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

Is Sean from Enderby really in the know?  

He releases the starting 11 way before Saturday 3PM even when it’s a wierd one.

Unfortunately its hard to deny this now 😂 

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

Is Sean from Enderby really in the know?  

Must have a source involved on match days.

I'd highly doubt it's someone high up detailing transfer activity though.