Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
merlin1969

Philippe Coutinho to Leicester whispers

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He’s almost 28.  absolutely no resale value.  could see a loan if the numbers can stack up but not a purchase. But the agent will want a sale with a five year contract. 

Vardy is 33 and essential to our side.  If he wants a 5 year contract he gets a 5 year contract.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yeah why not.  As long as the TV money keeps coming this will be fine.  It might all go to shit though.  Loan I suggest.

I believe Barca want to sell to recoup some money. I doubt a loan option would be on the table.

Just now, Ashley said:

Barnes Vardy Coutinho

Rest of the team is your usual suspects.

If he came here we could play narrower without wingers. He has to be inside to influence the game. He surely won’t be stuck out wide. You could play Harvey on the left and no one on the right with a midfielder responsible for covering behind Ricky .... that looks unbalanced though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Collymore said:

£66m in this market (I say that as in before corona) is a dip in the ocean though when you consider his global reputation and the fact he went for twice that to Barca. 

I'd imagine the revenue gained globally through shirt sales and a new batch of plastics would be immense too. 

He could also be the difference between qualifying for the Champions League again next season which is worth tens of millions in itself. 

I think Top wants this to coincide with the training ground opening for a real statement of intent. 

Sometimes opportunities present themselves and this could be the perfect storm. If we can afford it (easily) do it I say. 

Pre covid, I thought there was a good chance we may elevate wages to another big jump in the same way we went up to 100k wages after the title, as both a reward and to stop losing players for money alone. 

There was a lot of talk that we were a mahrez away from being long term contenders and if we could get him back to form, this is a bargain in the pre covid market. 

And if we don't back our excellent manager..... 

Maybe we have no choice? 

18 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Vardy is a one off ......

Disagree with this. 

He didnt start playing properly until late. He didnt go through the Academy training others would have. He still has his pace and believe it or not hes actually got faster this Season. 

Still a good 3 years left in him yet.

• Like 2

The best thing about him for me is his ability to bring out the best in everyone around him. His vision and ability to create space for others on the field is second to none.

I never looked at him as being a prolific goal scorer. Still think we need another attacking player with the ability for 10+ goals.

Rodgers may think those goals will be found in the way he creates for others. I remain stoic. If this happens you'll know.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Disagree with this. 

He didnt start playing properly until late. He didnt go through the Academy training others would have. He still has his pace and believe it or not hes actually got faster this Season. 

Still a good 3 years left in him yet.

Disagree with what ash?

you seem to be agreeing with me ???

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We are starting to be linked with a bunch of players aged 26+ which isn't necessarily a bad thing but we do need to be mindful that if the value in which we have to pay for these players is a lot then they cannot be flops as we have had our fingers burnt in the past with Slimani and Silva.

Players like Coutinho though would be too difficult to dismiss, I highly doubt we'd be going balls deep on £70m from the off but a loan deal with a view to a permanent deal if we secure back to back CL (if it ever takes place again) could well see us buy him outright.

What a statement signing it would be.

Yeah we got the short end of the stick before, but Rodgers has mentioned a number of times that this club is a project and it's not just about getting to Europe but once getting there, staying there. I think a lot of our signings recently were all about building a young talented core. But assuming we get to the Champions League (god knows what will happen with football in general), then we need players to help us both compete in that competition but also to stay there. And Coutinho fits the bill easily.

Regarding SIlva, Slimani and Iborra... none of these players quite worked out but I don't think any of them individually are bad players. Silva must go down as the biggest letdown though as he did absolutely nothing for us. Slimani and Iborra made a contribution in several games and Iborra especially I felt got shafted unnecessarily by Puel as I thought he was very decent. Admittedly getting rid of him paved the way for Tielemans and also Choudhury to get into the team, so it was probably a smart decision overall.

With Big Phil it's an interesting one. I wonder how many teams will be spending big after missing out on huge revenues due to the break in football. It wouldn't surprise me if spending is massively cut down across the board. But at the same time, that might open the door for an mouthwatering signing like this one. Even the mighty Barcelona had to get their players to agree a wage cut so even though they would make a loss, getting 8m a year off the books in wages plus 66m in cash would probably suit them massively.

I do wonder if we can do it though. The King Power fortune comes from Duty Free... which comes from people traveling. That industry has been decimated and travel won't go back to usual for probably 2 years. Leicester is a self sufficient part of the KP empire but you couldn't blame Top for not spending big given the circumstances.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Collymore said:

Oh I see.

I meant as in unproven marquee signings with no experience in the PL. Slimani, Silva and Inler are the ones that stick out with Cambiasso the only exception to the rule I can think of.

Players like Kante, Vardy, Mahrez obviously had no experience but weren't marquee at the time. 

Courtinho is proven in this league so I don't think we can categorise him in the first list. 

Tielemans?

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

If he came here we could play narrower without wingers. He has to be inside to influence the game. He surely won’t be stuck out wide. You could play Harvey on the left and no one on the right with a midfielder responsible for covering behind Ricky .... that looks unbalanced though. 

Agree with this.  First of all when Coutinho plays on the wing he plays the left, so it’d be Barnes who had to shift.  But I don’t think Coutinho is a true winger - he needs to play more centrally for his creativity to be of maximum value.  Honestly I think the guy he obsoletes is probably Maddison.  I’d be tempted to use some sort of 4-2-1-3 with N’didi and Praet as holding midfielders, Tielemans in front of them and Coutinho and Barnes flanking Vardy as effectively three forwards (with Coutinho and Barnes playing more narrowly than true wingers).

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We are starting to be linked with a bunch of players aged 26+ which isn't necessarily a bad thing but we do need to be mindful that if the value in which we have to pay for these players is a lot then they cannot be flops as we have had our fingers burnt in the past with Slimani and Silva.

Players like Coutinho though would be too difficult to dismiss, I highly doubt we'd be going balls deep on £70m from the off but a loan deal with a view to a permanent deal if we secure back to back CL (if it ever takes place again) could well see us buy him outright.

What a statement signing it would be.

Risky if he plays well on a loan... his head will be turned if a ‘top’ European club comes in for him maybe?

chance to sign him permanently would have to be set in stone.

We weren’t sign Coutinho ! But I think we will go for a couple of names to take us up a level. It’s time again we started to lay a glove on big teams at there own ground. We’ve not had a famous away win this season. I’d rather go for Bailey from Leverkusen and Demirel! 

Edited by Heymister2015
  • Like 1