Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CloudFox

Wesley Fofana

50 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You are absolutely right he did, and there's obviously reasons for having it there but I'm not sure it was due to quarantine as Castagne surely didn't need to but maybe because he was on international duty it muddied the waters.

He was in Portugal with atalanta for the UCL less that 2 weeks before quite possibly. Depending on the dates the squad returned to Italy, and the exact date he had his medical.

Edited by JamesfromlondonLCFC
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

Give me oil in my lamp... :ph34r:

Give me Wes in defence, making tackles

Give me Wes in defence, I pray

Give me Wes in defence, winning headers

Keeping clean sheets every time we play

Sing Fofana, sing Fofana,

Sing Fofana to the King Power

Sing Fofana, sing Fofana,

Sing Fofana to the King

I like this, simply and catchy

Can't understand why people are questioning him as a backup siging, he'll get plenty of game time this season, more than enough for a 19 year old who has just come from a different league. Do people genuinely expect Cags and a 32 year old Jonny Evans to play 55 games in a row? Without this signing we're having to use Morgan, Ndidi or Amartey at CB which would be tragic for a team aiming for the top 6 (hopefully).

Last season people (including myself) moaned about the lack of quality squad depth, yet it looks like we've gone out and sorted that issue out this summer. Having Under, Fofana and Ricardo/Timmy on the bench rather than Gray, Morgan/Bennett and Fuchs sounds fantastic to me.

The only negative for me is the price tag, but we obviously feel that we're going to make a profit on him and that he's going to be a key player for us in the long term, otherwise we wouldn't have bothered. Let's take some comfort in that fact we got 50m for Chilwell, so that plus 5m or so has paid for Fofana and Timmy.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 3

Reading the tweets of St. Etienne fans it's clear we're getting a top young player here.

They're angry at selling him and that they didn't get what they feel he was worth.

Sure it will take him time to adapt to the PL but I can see him playing in the position Amartey played on Sunday next time we play 5 at the back to ease him in. 

Edited by lcfc278
  • Like 1

If we're playing three at the back for extended periods this season and have a decent run in the Europa League, we're going to be playing 50 ish games this season, 3 centre backs a game means 150 CB appearances needed from the squad. Cags, Evans get 45/50 each easy, there's plenty left for Wesley and a few cameos from Big Daniel Amartey/Westley Morgan. That's without injuries/suspensions. There's more than enough for everyone. 

12 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Reading the tweets of St. Etienne fans it's clear we're getting a top young player here.

They're angry at selling him and that they didn't get what they feel he was worth.

Sure it will take him time to adapt to the PL but I can see him playing in the position Amartey played on Sunday next time we play 5 at the back to ease him in. 

You don't get eased into a back 5 in the premier league. With most premier league sides playing a 433/4141 or variation of the loan striker finds gaps easier in a back 3 than they do playing against 2 centre backs. I'd imagine a lot of his game time this season will be in Europe. 

I do worry about his early performances, football fans being what they are, are too quick to judge young players these, and obviously using Leicester fans as an example, look at the clambering to get Thomas on the side after 2 decent performances...... (opposite scenario of course, but a shaky start could see him on the back foot with the fans from the off considering the fee)

The best this las can do is have a Sol Bamba type debut, then he'll be a hero from the off.

I find this transfwr quite exciting, not because I claim to know much about the lad, but the fact that we are willing to pay higher fees for younger prospects, it's the next level for us. We cannot continue to pay sub £15million for players and expect to quadruple our outlay when they move on. Paying such a high fee for a youngster suggests that we're planning for the future rather than looking to turn a profit. Of course, the player may, and probably does, have other ideas but if we can make the next step on our journey and become one of the "big 6" things may work out differently 

On 30/09/2020 at 09:39, Outfox the Fox said:

Talking last night to a French journalist I know and he gave me a lot more background on Fofana - and a very interesting fact, which could well have led to him coming to us.  Apparently, Fofana's ancestry is not Malian, as reported in some newspapers, but Ivorian.  His parents moved to France (Marseille) from the Ivory Coast in 1999, just before he was born.  His father played football for ASEC Mimosas in Abidjan in the late 1990's - a Centre Back (any clues yet?).  Fofana has Ivory Coast citizenship, as well as French (and that is confirmed by Transfermarkt).

Now, we also have an Ivory Coast citizen at the KP, a Coach, a defensive Coach.  He played for ASEC Mimosas from 1999 to 2002 - a Centre Back.  Yep, Kolo Toure!  My contact is confident that Toure's connections, his knowledge of Fofana (not Congerton's scouting network), were the reason we started looking at him - and a big reason he wanted to come to Leicester. 

All that might come out soon. 

On 30/09/2020 at 09:45, Spudulike said:

Are you saying that Kolo is his dad? 

So are we all just pretending that this beauty of a post never happened?

• Like 1