Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I'd say that with the ONS net migration reported to be 500k last year. All routes need shutting down for a bit. Is it any wonder public services and housing can't cope. 

Two years of very low numbers due to the pandemic, especially students.

UK still has more job vacancies than ever. Might be an uncomfortable truth but we need more people!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If what she says about convention ref legal advice being kept within govt then it’s not incredible.  However, if she was advised that there was no legal issue then you’d assume she would have said so 

are we now able to offer commentary on politics - without any opinions ???

3 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I'd say that with the ONS net migration reported to be 500k last year. All routes need shutting down for a bit. Is it any wonder public services and housing can't cope. 

Negative net migration with the EU, I think for the 3rd successive year. "More from Barbados and less from Bulgaria", as the Brexiters promised us. 

4 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I'll guarantee they'd be in a far worse state without our migrant population working in them.   The vast majority of the  Circa 1 million people  immigrants have come here either to learn or work and contribute to our society,  without them we would almost certainly hav  been in recession some time ago. 

4 hours ago, Robo61 said:

I'll guarantee they'd be in a far worse state without our migrant population working in them.   The vast majority of the  Circa 1 million people  immigrants have come here either to learn or work and contribute to our society,  without them we would almost certainly hav  been in recession some time ago. 

Half a million in one year is way too excessive though. It's a city with the population of Nottingham isn't it. 

8 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Half a million in one year is way too excessive though. It's a city with the population of Nottingham isn't it. 

The real problem is that the government has for th last 12 years said it would get net migration below 100,000 so had not planned for the numbers we are getting.  The numbers in themselves,  are not the problem in fact in can be argued we need them due to our aging population.

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

There is lots of this stuff doing the rounds on social media atm,linked possible with the social unrest against covid lockdowns in China. It does look rather sinister. What is going on here?

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFxqAoes/

It's been 86ed already.

The Chinese current strategy against Covid is foolhardy and has been since Omicron emerged and it was known that we could manage it while still maintaining "normal service".

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It's been 86ed already.

The Chinese current strategy against Covid is foolhardy and has been since Omicron emerged and it was known that we could manage it while still maintaining "normal service".

They’re surely going to have to reverse it at some point? It gets to the point eventually where, despite the great leaders liking the idea of control, it starts to harm the economy?

2 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

China Covid: Protesters openly urge Xi to resign over China Covid curbs https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63771109

it was going happen at some point. 

the voices are getting louder. 

5 hours ago, Dunge said:

They’re surely going to have to reverse it at some point? It gets to the point eventually where, despite the great leaders liking the idea of control, it starts to harm the economy?

Their vaccination rates amongst the elderly are poor

and they’re not prepared to embrace western vaccines which have a better record 

so if they allow the virus to just do it’s thing (as the row have), their health service will likely be overwhelmed. From a selfish pov, a rampant covid outbreak in China would also raise possible issues for the west re new variants 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dunge said:

I think it depends on how much such dissent about it spreads. It gets wide enough, the powers that be over there will have to change tack or they will lose control.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

The situation in China appears to be escalating every day. Perhaps not seen this much unrest since 1989?

Incredibly brave ..  and not just in China but Iran too.  Combined with a general undercurrent of unrest in Russia as well it would appear to be a bad time for power mad despots in the world ..  let’s hope it brings about change ..  but I’m not holding my breath.  

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Incredibly brave ..  and not just in China but Iran too.  Combined with a general undercurrent of unrest in Russia as well it would appear to be a bad time for power mad despots in the world ..  let’s hope it brings about change ..  but I’m not holding my breath.  

The change has to happen. I just hope it ends up being for the better in all accounts.

On 27/11/2022 at 15:56, st albans fox said:

so if they allow the virus to just do it’s thing (as the row have), their health service will likely be overwhelmed

Indeed. As I understand it they seem to have messed up good and proper. Yes, the rest of the world have let it go, but alongside effective vaccines and often (if varyingly) after measures to limit transmission while those effective vaccines were rolled out. China haven't opted for the effective vaccines, and letting covid rip now may well kill a couple of million people at high speed.

On 27/11/2022 at 19:45, fox_up_north said:

Interestingly, it seems the police are, largely, just standing by and observing. Not particularly good for the powers that be. 

That’s what they do, everyone has a mobile phone for covid passes so every phone can be tracked. They let the people protest, then look at the tracking system to see which phones were in attendance then when everyone has gone home they send a text message saying don’t do it again, or arrest them and send them to prison for a long time. Complete population control… all because people want the latest iPhone. Phones are destroying the human race and the powers that be are using them to their advantage.

sent from my iphone.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2