Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

54 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Interesting story this. 

Coronavirus card payments: Thousands back Birds bakery manager

A former bakery manager at the centre of a row over taking cash payments has called for the firm to apologise to its customers. Megan Metcalfe was sacked in June after she paid for customers' purchases with her own card so they could use cash. Ms Metcalfe, 60, had worked at the Birds bakery in Radcliffe-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire for 44 years. The firm said Ms Metcalfe had been fired "with regret" but she had broken its coronavirus policies.

Two petitions have called for the bakery to reinstate Ms Metcalfe and accept cash payments, with more than 9,000 signatures on one and 14,000 signatures on the other.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-53655604

Should she have been sacked for breaking company policy or praised for helping her customers?

It's a bit spineless to say they regret it. She's 60 so working there since she was 16? Think they could have handled it better. Maybe I'm soft but if someone has that kind of service I'm not going to dismiss them unless it's literally the only option.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Strokes said:

Why would that make you feel more or less sympathy?

Well it’s the ‘poor old lady’ schtick isn’t it, old dear who’s been kicked out her job she‘s worked decades and probably not had to job search since before the advent of computers. 

In that kind of service job too, it’s generally a lot easier to hire a youth with a bit more energy on a lower minimum wage than an old dear with limited miles left in the tank. However I believe she’s found a job anyway so I guess it’s a bit redundant really.

32 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Well it’s the ‘poor old lady’ schtick isn’t it, old dear who’s been kicked out her job she‘s worked decades and probably not had to job search since before the advent of computers. 

In that kind of service job too, it’s generally a lot easier to hire a youth with a bit more energy on a lower minimum wage than an old dear with limited miles left in the tank. However I believe she’s found a job anyway so I guess it’s a bit redundant really.

Well yeah, I guess the crux of the story is the 40 years odd service, which I guess rules out any young buck.

Aside from the presentation of the story, she should have been disciplined at the very least. Breaking health and safety regs is pretty serious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Well yeah, I guess the crux of the story is the 40 years odd service, which I guess rules out any young buck.

Aside from the presentation of the story, she should have been disciplined at the very least. Breaking health and safety regs is pretty serious.

pretty much agree it is not up to an employee to decide which policies to follow and which to ignore or break. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/driver-escapes-serious-injury-after-4399381

The driver of a car had a lucky escape after the car they were driving was involved in a crash with two lorries yesterday (August 5).

These pictures show the remains of the BMW after the driver was cut free by the fire service following the collision on the M1.

The driver managed to escape with only minor injuries.

The crash happened on the northbound slip road of the M1 at junction 24 for East Midlands Airport and Loughborough at around 3.30pm.

117198180_1533205950221098_4944572056479872594_n.jpg

117157880_1533205923554434_1928409257526562604_n.jpg

117319208_1533205993554427_6986273921413838134_n.jpg

Neil young suing Donald tump for using his music.

The 74-year-old star said that he could not allow his work to be used as a "theme song for a divisive, un-American campaign of ignorance and hate"

Makes me love him even more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Strokes said:

2 hours ago, twoleftfeet said:

pretty much agree it is not up to an employee to decide which policies to follow and which to ignore or break. 

2 hours ago, DanNDH88 said:

She could well have been fiddling money too, you never know. 

Self righteous Thatcherites with hearts of stone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, boots60 said:

Self righteous Thatcherites with hearts of stone.

She was Manger of the bakery and therefore responsible for enforcing company policy. She is ultimately responsible in that store for health and safety. I dont enjoy wearing a mask at work to nip from my desk to the tiolet or any where else on site  but it is company policy that i must do and we had to wear them to the on site restaurant even though other tenants employees didnt before the change in the law about face masks in shops.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/driver-escapes-serious-injury-after-4399381

The driver of a car had a lucky escape after the car they were driving was involved in a crash with two lorries yesterday (August 5).

These pictures show the remains of the BMW after the driver was cut free by the fire service following the collision on the M1.

The driver managed to escape with only minor injuries.

The crash happened on the northbound slip road of the M1 at junction 24 for East Midlands Airport and Loughborough at around 3.30pm.

117198180_1533205950221098_4944572056479872594_n.jpg

117157880_1533205923554434_1928409257526562604_n.jpg

117319208_1533205993554427_6986273921413838134_n.jpg

That's some time after the accident, obviously. We were second crew on scene by which time the driver was in the first ambulance. I didn't get to see them, but I understand he had minor fractures and superficial soft tissue injuries.

When we pulled up and saw the wreckage we could not believe anyone got out of that. We checked the truck driver and he was on the verge of tears of disbelief.

Quite often we go to a road traffic incident where we wonder how anyone survived. A few years ago I went to one on the A42 where a truck had slammed into the trailer of the one in front, which was stationary. The passenger side of the cab was completely compressed from the front to the rear bulkhead. The driver's side was almost untouched but the driver was trapped due to the deformity of the cab structure. Any passenger would have been crushed. The driver had a broken ankle and wrist. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Parafox said:

That's some time after the accident, obviously. We were second crew on scene by which time the driver was in the first ambulance. I didn't get to see them, but I understand he had minor fractures and superficial soft tissue injuries.

When we pulled up and saw the wreckage we could not believe anyone got out of that. We checked the truck driver and he was on the verge of tears of disbelief.

Quite often we go to a road traffic incident where we wonder how anyone survived. A few years ago I went to one on the A42 where a truck had slammed into the trailer of the one in front, which was stationary. The passenger side of the cab was completely compressed from the front to the rear bulkhead. The driver's side was almost untouched but the driver was trapped due to the deformity of the cab structure. Any passenger would have been crushed. The driver had a broken ankle and wrist. 

It would be my worst nightmare having to attend a RTA. 

I'm squeamish at the best of times so couldn't imagine seeing people seriously injured or even dead. I'd be sick and have nightmares for months probably.

Once again, huge respect for what you do mate. Takes a special kinda person to do your job.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

It would be my worst nightmare having to attend a RTA. 

I'm squeamish at the best of times so couldn't imagine seeing people seriously injured or even dead. I'd be sick and have nightmares for months probably.

Once again, huge respect for what you do mate. Takes a special kinda person to do your job.

Good training and years of experience makes it easier. I've never been squeamish and I find human injuries fascinating as well as challenging. Don't get me wrong, there have been times when I have felt uncomfortable and even disturbed by some of the trauma I've seen.

Those incidents leave a lasting memory and I often go past a location of a serious incident and recall the event. 

The decapitation of a motorcyclist near the Bull's Head on the A47 Hinckley Road many years ago is just one that always comes back to me as I live in Hinckley and travel that road often.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-53688009

Is there any other OECD country where this kind of fundie rhetoric would draw anything other than derisional laughter?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53684033

Can't see this hurting the NRA much, but it's a thorn in their paw, at least.

I think that fundamentally perhaps Trump has a point many of the states that are run by the democratic party which is where most of the rioting is taking place are not threatening to arrest peace protestors which is a constitutional right, but have the audacity to practice religion which is also a constitutional right and you can be arrested.

It seems that both the attack on religion and gun ownership via the attack on the NRA could be seen as politically motivated by the democratic party, as both groups of people tend to be pro Republican.

Its a good job our politics has quite reached this low level but it will. 

2 hours ago, twoleftfeet said:

I think that fundamentally perhaps Trump has a point many of the states that are run by the democratic party which is where most of the rioting is taking place are not threatening to arrest peace protestors which is a constitutional right, but have the audacity to practice religion which is also a constitutional right and you can be arrested.

It seems that both the attack on religion and gun ownership via the attack on the NRA could be seen as politically motivated by the democratic party, as both groups of people tend to be pro Republican.

Its a good job our politics has quite reached this low level but it will. 

I can see where this is coming from...but I do have a couple of quibbles.

Firstly, I guess the point in the first part is that there is a double standard with how the protestors and church groups are being treated right now according to Covid regs? Well, from what I can tell the only pastors who have been arrested for keeping things going are in Florida and Louisiana...hardly bastions of Democratic supremacy.

Secondly, the NRA are hardly representative of gun users in the US as a whole given that they have not said a peep about gun regulations targeted against groups like the Black Panthers in the past.

I don't doubt that at least some of this could be politically motivated, but the idea that this is an attack on faith and gun users in general in the US (as Trump stated) is just rhetoric which is at best only half true. But then, that's hardly new from the guy, is it?

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I can see where this is coming from...but I do have a couple of quibbles.

Firstly, I guess the point in the first part is that there is a double standard with how the protestors and church groups are being treated right now according to Covid regs? Well, from what I can tell the only pastors who have been arrested for keeping things going are in Florida and Louisiana...hardly bastions of Democratic supremacy.

Secondly, the NRA are hardly representative of gun users in the US as a whole given that they have not said a peep about gun regulations targeted against groups like the Black Panthers in the past.

I don't doubt that at least some of this could be politically motivated, but the idea that this is an attack on faith and gun users in general in the US (as Trump stated) is just rhetoric which is at best only half true. But then, that's hardly new from the guy, is it?

I think if you view it as a whole along with the leftist cancel culture that exists in the states, shutting down any one you don't agree with, then people could well add two and two together and get four, the corruption in the NRA would still be there after the election, why not choose a time post election to bring charges, its almost like they want Trump to get re-elected the left as they were here are hell bent on turning the main stream public against them.   

5 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

I think if you view it as a whole along with the leftist cancel culture that exists in the states, shutting down any one you don't agree with, then people could well add two and two together and get four, the corruption in the NRA would still be there after the election, why not choose a time post election to bring charges, its almost like they want Trump to get re-elected the left as they were here are hell bent on turning the main stream public against them.   

No, it's these people getting 2 + 2 = 5 because Trump told them it was so. The facts of the two matters speak for themselves.

I agree, however, that perception is often as important as facts in matters such as these and as such there could have been a better time to bring corruption charges against the NRA, even if they aren't politically motivated.

(I don't buy that "mainstream America" - whatever that is - are fundie Christians and buy into the NRA as an exclusive authorities on gun control and use. If they are and there's been yet another shift in the Overton Window over there...well, that's gonna cause problems far beyond what we're seeing here.)

Edited by leicsmac