Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

A level results are a huge mess, took my brother to get his and the number of people in shock and crying is incredible. For instance, a friend of his achieved B's in coursework and mocks and was downgraded to a D

Ouch.  At least there is an appeal process for anomolies like that. 

• their estimated grade
  • an optional written paper in the autumn
  • or an appeal through their school if the estimated result is lower than the mock exam

6 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Ouch.  At least there is an appeal process for anomolies like that. 

• their estimated grade
  • an optional written paper in the autumn
  • or an appeal through their school if the estimated result is lower than the mock exam

His head of sixth form has gone through each students grades and compiled a 4 page A4 list of students she thinks has been harshly done and will appeal. 

I can see plenty of colleges appealing en masse.

To downgrade 39% of results in England is simply wrong, the system may not have been perfect but estimated grades given by Tutors was without question the best way of assessment available.

My son recieved his A level  results today and he has not got a grade below a C but his expected grades were better. 

Hopefully Gavin Williamson Will follow Scotland now and accept teacher assessed grades.

Edited by The Guvnor

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

And if the outcome of that process is massive grade inflation?  What do you do then?

As I said, it's a one-off year. If that results in grade inflation across the board, I think we just accept it. I think it's much fairer to take the opinions and judgement of teachers, than an exam board just to completely drop grades to be seen to be being 'fair'.

At the end of the day, I saw first-hand the process they went through this year and I completely have faith in the process they went to to make the estimated grades for this year.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

So exam results.  Teachers saying results are worse or much worse than expected, but the % of each grade are all higher than last year.  So are teachers actually saying results are worse than the overstated ones they submitted?  What a mess.  Not sure there is a good answer here.

Its a difficult situation, they're damned either way, looking at the data it doesn't seem too unfair on a macro level. Actually it seems ridiculous to me that A*s are at 10%, too high. Maybe in hindsight they might have come up with a different solution. 

I know I wouldn't trust teacher judgement. Part of the point of exams is it takes away some of the inevitable bias from teacher judgements. My teachers used to hate me for being lazy and arrogant, not doing any of the work and only contributing to class if asked. My econ teacher refused to predict me an A* despite my AS Level being high enough for that cos she despised me. Yet she was quite happy to predict an A for a brownose who only got a middling B at AS. I got full ums in both A2 exams, she ended up with a C and went to Derby uni. 

• Like 1

On 15/08/2020 at 14:24, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-53792016

Well damn. That's a hell of a story to tell your grandkids. :o

I didn't read beyond the headline, but it was Nige, wasn't it? 

Go on, I betcha Big Nige rocked up and took a whole shiver* of them on. Bite to eat and then back on the beach to top up the tan. Trainers and all.

*Yeah, I had to Google it, too

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Excellent. 

So often these crimes aren't followed up with severe enough punishment. Hope there's 0 chance of parole or early release. 

Sounds like it's almost as hard a sentence as he could've been given...

"he would spend at least 55 years in prison before he could even be considered for parole, adding he "may never be released".

Family members gasped as the sentence - a record for a determinate prison term - was handed down.

Because he was under the age of 21 at the time of the murders, the law forbids the imposition of a whole life order, meaning a life sentence with no minimum term."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53850642

17 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Sounds like it's almost as hard a sentence as he could've been given...

"he would spend at least 55 years in prison before he could even be considered for parole, adding he "may never be released".

Family members gasped as the sentence - a record for a determinate prison term - was handed down.

Because he was under the age of 21 at the time of the murders, the law forbids the imposition of a whole life order, meaning a life sentence with no minimum term."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53850642

Shame he can't accidently fall off the top wing, seeing as it's gonna cost the taxpayer over 2 million quid to keep him in prison.

24 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Shame he can't accidently fall off the top wing, seeing as it's gonna cost the taxpayer over 2 million quid to keep him in prison.

I have strong views on wipes like this and prison is not where I would have sent him. But thats the justice systems we have in place. About time they change and not just because of terrorists (of any race) but for paedos, drug lords, rapists etc.