Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/new-zealands-ardern-hits-back-at-trump-over-coronavirus-surge-2

The guy is an absolute blatant liar and yet he will still win this years election. 

I am undecided whether it's as simple as that. To me he just seems to latch onto something he hears on a very surface level, and then presents it in a way which makes sense to him. Yes NZ have seen a 'surge' in cases seeing they were down to zero, but contextualised against what is happening over there, it's a drop in the ocean. Whatever is going on, whether he's lazy, corrupt or ill, right now he is a real danger. 

• Like 2

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/new-zealands-ardern-hits-back-at-trump-over-coronavirus-surge-2

The guy is an absolute blatant liar and yet he will still win this years election. 

I do like your posts, mate, but honestly I'm struggling to see where you get the consistent confidence about the assertion in bold from.

This isn't 2016, he's considerably behind in the polls and has been practically all the way along so far, and he's having to resort to pretty blatant voter suppression in order to think that he has a decent chance.

Barring something drastically changing in the next couple of months, I don't see how he wins through a method that won't be challenged afterwards, so am I missing or underestimating some big factor here? Do point it out if it turns out that I am.

• Haha 1

I was listening to an interview with Mary Trump about her book. Seems quite articulate and thoughtful, and I was more impressed than I expected to be. I might read it.

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I do like your posts, mate, but honestly I'm struggling to see where you get the consistent confidence about the assertion in bold from.

This isn't 2016, he's considerably behind in the polls and has been practically all the way along so far, and he's having to resort to pretty blatant voter suppression in order to think that he has a decent chance.

Barring something drastically changing in the next couple of months, I don't see how he wins through a method that won't be challenged afterwards, so am I missing or underestimating some big factor here? Do point it out if it turns out that I am.

Perhaps i am just softening myself up for the potential that he could win so that i am not disappointed if it becomes reality (actually, definitely this lol).  He IS behind but at the same time i feel as though there are a lot of still closeted Trump fans that will come out of the Trump cave and vote last minute. I have 0 proof of course it's just a guess or feeling if you will . We are in very polarizing times with BLM movement and it comes down to (at least for me) whether those independents will side with Biden or not. Perhaps its my minority mindset to expect less or the worst case. If anything the last election has shown me to expect the unexpected.  For what its worth i really hope the tosser loses!

• Like 1

Perhaps i am just softening myself up for the potential that he could win so that i am not disappointed if it becomes reality (actually, definitely this lol).  He IS behind but at the same time i feel as though there are a lot of still closeted Trump fans that will come out of the Trump cave and vote last minute. I have 0 proof of course it's just a guess or feeling if you will . We are in very polarizing times with BLM movement and it comes down to (at least for me) whether those independents will side with Biden or not. Perhaps its my minority mindset to expect less or the worst case. If anything the last election has shown me to expect the unexpected.  For what its worth i really hope the tosser loses!

That's a totally fair sentiment and given what happened last time it's a fair hunch to have.

I'd like to think that the pollsters have managed to control for such an element this time round, but who knows? There is still a long time until election day, too.

In better news: https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-53829347

DeJoy realising that he will get tarred and feathered if he keeps going along with Trumps voter suppression idea so he's choosing self-preservation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rachhere said:

These tweets for me sum up nicely the ongoing chaos that surrounds the whole grading fiasco, the consequences of which have now been passed onto universities:

The second tweet was something I was thinking about the other day. Will it also means people subconsciously dismiss 2020 A levels results as light touch in the future? The whole thing is messed up.

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

The second tweet was something I was thinking about the other day. Will it also means people subconsciously dismiss 2020 A levels results as light touch in the future? The whole thing is messed up.

Quite possibly so. I can imagine for students as well as they start of their degrees there will be quite a bit of imposter syndrome - 'am I really good enough to be here, would I really have got those grades?'

6 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Quite possibly so. I can imagine for students as well as they start of their degrees there will be quite a bit of imposter syndrome - 'am I really good enough to be here, would I really have got those grades?'

You are right, there is that too.

26 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I wonder if in a couple of years we'll have another round of complaints based on students failing courses they shouldn't have been able to get into normally. 

Complete cluster**** either way though. In the end we can't punish the gifted among us with an unfair algorithm so we'll just have to deal with whatever fallout comes later. 

7 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I wonder if in a couple of years we'll have another round of complaints based on students failing courses they shouldn't have been able to get into normally. 

Complete cluster**** either way though. In the end we can't punish the gifted among us with an unfair algorithm so we'll just have to deal with whatever fallout comes later. 

Another factor is that there is an awful lot of learning which happens during the revision process between March and taking those exams, and these students will have missed out on that. That's going to be problematic where it is normally assumed students have a baseline understanding.

For the record though I am not sure what exactly I would have done differently. I just hope that I would have picked up on the limitations of the algorithm way sooner than they did... 

33 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Another factor is that there is an awful lot of learning which happens during the revision process between March and taking those exams, and these students will have missed out on that. That's going to be problematic where it is normally assumed students have a baseline understanding.

For the record though I am not sure what exactly I would have done differently. I just hope that I would have picked up on the limitations of the algorithm way sooner than they did... 

A lot of consolidating of knowledge/processes and teaching of latter topics is always squeezed in at the end. The beginning of university is going to be tougher than usual for many, as the catch-up process of first year will involve a lot more first time teaching than normal. It's going to be a huge shock for many students, most of which will have only every had formal exams in the form of GCSE's, 2 years ago.

43 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

That seems to be the path they're taking for every issue, a quick fix now and deal with the problems further down the line. Schools etc will be having potential huge decreases of grades compared to this year which'll maybe cost a few their jobs. 

Edited by UniFox21

2 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Can't help but feel that, unless the Republicans feel inclined back towards respectibility, Biden is a one way ticket to something worse than Trump in 4 years time 

I think Kamala will run as the democratic candidate in 4 years to be honest. Biden’s job is to get rid of Trump. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Can't help but feel that, unless the Republicans feel inclined back towards respectibility, Biden is a one way ticket to something worse than Trump in 4 years time 

It's certainly plausible that the Repubs might end up going in for someone like Tom Cotton next time round should Trump lose in November...but right now I can't see how someone with a platform that he would espouse would have a chance of winning.

That being said, Trump won in 2016, so you never know.

On 21/08/2020 at 22:27, Desabafar said:

the UK debt is now 2 trillion and rising. a no deal looks likely too. boris has a job on his hands

I thought the deal was oven ready and about to be popped in the microwave lol He sold the election on that. No wonder he ran from Andrew Neil, no wonder he hid a fridge. Any kind of scrutiny would have shown him up as the charlatan that he is.

Usually when it all starts to unravel people turn on the politicians and its not long until its all over, but these day being on the winning side is more important than actually being right or doing the right thing, so expect a lot of mental gymnastics defending his shite performance.