Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

Calling MPH please.

First, I hope you are feeling better.

Second, very interested in how the President’s remarks have gone down in NC about testing the voting system by asking his supporters to vote twice.  I would imagine he has a point in that there has to be loopholes in the system so I’d be very interested to hear from you as regards the safeguards.

I think we know why he is making the allegations but I would be interested to hear your views in particular.  Do you feel this is gaining credibility across the country and how are impartial media outlets portraying the position the President is taking.

PS - I am struggling to find impartial reporting tbh.  Can you point me in some direction 🙃

10 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

Calling MPH please.

Second, very interested in how the President’s remarks have gone down in NC about testing the voting system by asking his supporters to vote twice.  I would imagine he has a point in that there has to be loopholes in the system so I’d be very interested to hear from you as regards the safeguards.

I think we know why he is making the allegations but I would be interested to hear your views in particular.  Do you feel this is gaining credibility across the country and how are impartial media outlets portraying the position the President is taking.

PS - I am struggling to find impartial reporting tbh.  Can you point me in some direction 🙃

The easiest way to call MPH is to put @MPH and he'll get the notification :thumbup:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

Calling MPH please.

Hey there! I’m  feeling much better and in fact went back to work for the first time in 10 weeks this last week! 

With regards to what Trump said- and i don’t think this is probably the answer you were looking for....

Personally speaking i take pretty much anything he says with a pinch of salt. I Don’t really listen to him  i’ve given up trying to take what he says seriously as what he’s likely to say will change in a few days. I’m still more right leaning than Biden but i can’t stand Trump. I’m more of a Marco Rubio kind of guy.

With regards to impartial media... i don’t think there’s really an impartial media outlet in the states. the major news networks lean one way or the other... In the UK, it’s actually illegal for any of the news stations to favor one political party over the other within British politics.. Not so here in the states. I remember back in the 90s  there was still some fairly major aggro with the IRA/ Northern Ireland/ Republic of Ireland.. One the day i was leaving Leicester to go to visit my brother in Dublin i heard a news story  of how the IRA had done something in the Belfast area and i remember “ that’s terrible.. how could they do that!” Late that night when i was finally at my brothers house in Dublin  a news article came on the telly about an incident in Belfast and i thought “ oh my gosh, how can the protestant groups do that! that’s terrible!” It took me a while before i realized that they were talking about the same incident.

It feels that way over here.. both political sides are so entrenched in what they believe there’s a tinge of biased essence to their reporting... Fox news will tell you something and it’s terrible, CNN will do the same and ardent viewers from both news channels will swear blind only their news channel is reporting with 100% accuracy when in reality the truth will be somewhere in the middle. It’s amazing the slant propaganda can put on a subject. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MPH said:

Hey there! I’m  feeling much better and in fact went back to work for the first time in 10 weeks this last week! 

With regards to what Trump said- and i don’t think this is probably the answer you were looking for....

Glad to hear you’ve been able to return to work 👌

Actually what I was looking for was exactly what you have written.  How is the thinking person responding to some of the most outrageous and divisive commentary you are ever likely to hear.

I know the UK feels like it is becoming more partisan but I hope we never fall into the trap that we can not see the other side’s point of view (quietly I think we acknowledge more the mistakes of our own side).  I just can’t seem to find this impartiality in anything I see or hear from the US and I find it quite disappointing so to canvas the views of someone with a non-American (I assume) is quite interesting.

What do your friends say or are they ensconced in one of the two sides?

On 27/08/2020 at 12:50, Alf Bentley said:

Will be interesting to see which policy areas he prioritises and what his strategy is to make the LDs significant players in the game.

My instinct is that he's got his work cut out. He seems competent enough, but lacking in inspiration or charisma and won't get much publicity for a long time, unless he can somehow set an agenda item or two.

Plus, in seeking to make inroads mainly against the Tories in the SE/SW & in university towns, he'll be competing with a somewhat similar rival in Starmer (sensible, competent, moderate, pro-European) - but Starmer is already getting known and will get more media coverage.

Any idea how he'll seek to make progress - or make inroads in other parts of the country, @LiberalFox?

I can't really add anything to what you and Kopfkino said. He isn't my cup of tea as a leadership choice. The margin of victory in his favour was especially disappointing. We had a brilliant leadership candidate and we chose a boring nondescript one by choice. 

I really hope he proves me wrong. 

Also I feel like from my perspective Layla actually managed to define by her campaign exactly what I wanted the party to be, and that Ed in his campaign actually clearly defined what I do not like in this party. He then won a very clearly majority of the votes (2nd biggest margin in a leadership contest).

Edited by LiberalFox
  • Thanks 1

does anyone think that there is a chance that boris may decide its all too difficult being in charge ?  He managed to be London mayor for two terms whilst pretty much delegating everything.   However, PM isn’t quite as straightforward, especially give the double hand of covid and brexit (yes I  know one is self inflicted) 

he has a ‘get out of jail free’ card re his covid experience. he could give it all up on the basis that he is suffering some long term effects which make it difficult for him to reach the levels he did before.  No one could argue with that and he wouldn’t be seen as a failed PM because of it........

just a thought ..........

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

does anyone think that there is a chance that boris may decide its all too difficult being in charge ?  He managed to be London mayor for two terms whilst pretty much delegating everything.   However, PM isn’t quite as straightforward, especially give the double hand of covid and brexit (yes I  know one is self inflicted) 

he has a ‘get out of jail free’ card re his covid experience. he could give it all up on the basis that he is suffering some long term effects which make it difficult for him to reach the levels he did before.  No one could argue with that and he wouldn’t be seen as a failed PM because of it........

just a thought ..........

He won't. He's an arrogant narcissist. He won't recognise he's doing a crap job and that, in part, is because none of his party or supporters will acknowledge it. 

Trump Lite. 

8 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

He won't. He's an arrogant narcissist. He won't recognise he's doing a crap job and that, in part, is because none of his party or supporters will acknowledge it. 

Trump Lite. 

Not really the point - he may be thinking that it’s much harder than he expected and he hates hard work .....

5 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

I can't really add anything to what you and Kopfkino said. He isn't my cup of tea as a leadership choice. The margin of victory in his favour was especially disappointing. We had a brilliant leadership candidate and we chose a boring nondescript one by choice. 

I really hope he proves me wrong. 

Also I feel like from my perspective Layla actually managed to define by her campaign exactly what I wanted the party to be, and that Ed in his campaign actually clearly defined what I do not like in this party. He then won a very clearly majority of the votes (2nd biggest margin in a leadership contest).

Yes, I suspect that the "safe", conservative choice may have been the right one for Labour after all the Corbyn controversy and alienation of support (though I voted Nandy 1, Starmer 2)

But "safe" and conservative may be the wrong choice for the LDs.

Voters needed a reason to think of Labour as a credible party of government, but a reason to think of the Lib Dems as vibrant, interesting, offering something different....

Also, Davey has the baggage of involvement with the Coalition Govt. austerity politics.

I've not paid much attention to the LD leadership campaign and it hasn't had much media coverage, but have been impressed with Moran when I've seen her interviewed.

I imagine she'd have alienated a few due to past personal life, personality etc.....but might have won support from people Davey is unlikely to reach.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yes, I suspect that the "safe", conservative choice may have been the right one for Labour after all the Corbyn controversy and alienation of support (though I voted Nandy 1, Starmer 2)

But "safe" and conservative may be the wrong choice for the LDs.

Voters needed a reason to think of Labour as a credible party of government, but a reason to think of the Lib Dems as vibrant, interesting, offering something different....

Also, Davey has the baggage of involvement with the Coalition Govt. austerity politics.

I've not paid much attention to the LD leadership campaign and it hasn't had much media coverage, but have been impressed with Moran when I've seen her interviewed.

I imagine she'd have alienated a few due to past personal life, personality etc.....but might have won support from people Davey is unlikely to reach.

Yeah that's a good summary. I do think the leadership contest was healthy as part of the political process. Despite the large majority for Ed, this doesn't actually reflect a rigid belief in the party one way or another. I just think people maybe went with what they wanted to hear vs what they needed to hear. That won't work outside of internal party politics.

On 05/09/2020 at 11:39, foxile5 said:

Trump Lite. 

Not a Boris fan - but I think that line of thinking is lazy, inaccurate and unhelpful if you want to engage in debate.

12 minutes ago, Milo said:

Not a Boris fan - but I think that line of thinking is lazy, inaccurate and unhelpful if you want to engage in debate.

There was a diplomat in the news lately that said Boris is fascinated with Trump, his use of words, and his relationship with truth and facts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/05/boris-johnson-is-fascinated-by-donald-trump-says-ex-diplomat-lord-darroch

Trump himself has said Boris is similar https://www.npr.org/2019/07/23/744076619/boris-johnson-britains-next-prime-minister-shares-similarities-with-trump?t=1599418327778

Those close to both have remarked he's following his habits and, to be honest, the bull shit he had spouted during the pandemic - half truths and lies - combined with his past history of documented racism really suggests to me he is aping Trump. 

That there is accurate, researched and I don't give a **** of you think it's helpful. Don't accuse me of being inaccurate, when I am accurate, lazy, when I'm not and unhelpful without offering any commentary yourself. 

Edited by foxile5

Just now, foxile5 said:

There was a diplomat in the news lately that said Boris is fascinated with Trump, his use of words, and his relationship with truth and facts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/05/boris-johnson-is-fascinated-by-donald-trump-says-ex-diplomat-lord-darroch

Trump himself has said Boris is similar https://www.npr.org/2019/07/23/744076619/boris-johnson-britains-next-prime-minister-shares-similarities-with-trump?t=1599418327778

Those close to both have remarked he's following his habits and, to be honest, the bull shit he had spouted during the pandemic - half truths and lies - combined with his past history of documented racism really suggests to me he is aping Trump. 

That there is accurate, researched and I don't give a **** of you think it's helpful. Don't accuse me of being inaccurate, when I am, lazy, when I'm not and unhelpful without offering any commentary yourself. 

Guardian link. 

Really?!   lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=Boris+fascinated+trump&oq=Boris+fascinated+trump&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60.3114j0j9&client=ms-android-ee-uk-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Tonnes of news outlets reporting the exact same thing. Y'know, its an interview with AP or such and not an OpEd piece. 

Were you ignorant or did you just not bother to read the article? 

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

It's a direct quotations. You might not like their political outlook but they aren't fabricating quotes. 

And Darroch obviously has no axe to grind with Boris?

I'm happy to debate with anyone, I really am no supporter of Boris. But saying that he is Trump lite is inaccurate. On a multitude of levels.