Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

39 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Anyone who's had this know how long the fever normally lasts? 

The sudden loss of taste is very obvious. Went from fine, to no taste in a couple of hours, with no blocked or runny nose. Doesn't feel like when you have a cold. 

I had it mid august. Just felt a bit unwell and lethargic nothing major. Had a test came back positive. Never felt unwell even after that. Ive had worse colds. 2 things did affect me. 1 was loss of taste which lasted approx 10days. The 2nd was loss of breath even just walking to 2mins to my local shop. Eventually it all got better and im totally fine now so i think it just varies from person to person.

46 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

I had it mid august. Just felt a bit unwell and lethargic nothing major. Had a test came back positive. Never felt unwell even after that. Ive had worse colds. 2 things did affect me. 1 was loss of taste which lasted approx 10days. The 2nd was loss of breath even just walking to 2mins to my local shop. Eventually it all got better and im totally fine now so i think it just varies from person to person.

Thanks for that. Good to know the lack of breath doesn't have to mean too serious of a condition if that does come for me later. Had a temperature for a few days now but it's not full on sweating, just consistently feel hot. 

11 hours ago, Lionator said:

The noises are that these vaccines, specifically the BioNTech/Pfizer and Astra Zeneca/Oxford ones are effective.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hope-for-covid-vaccine-at-new-year-25b52b86s

I suppose the next challenge will be convincing enough members of the public to be vaccinated.

Once vaccinations start, hospitalisations and deaths will naturally reduce and that's when measures will be dropped I would imagine. 

I feel that people will accept restrictions a lot more as long as they know there's an end, which is where an approved vaccine will change the game.

It'll be interesting for sure. 

I remember growing up and being st school and we used to call each other flids and that was used as a drug what 50 plus years before? I respect science has moved on but could it have a similar effect for future generations 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Thefox81 said:

:blink::unsure::frusty::jawdrop::protest:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd be interested as to how they'd roll out the vaccine. I'd assume would be the at risk categories first: so elderly, those with conditions etc? Then begin into the lower risk groups 

Probably asking a bit much to have a coherent strategy for it. Probably just stick a few people on street corners to stab passers by with a needle. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Probably asking a bit much to have a coherent strategy for it. Probably just stick a few people on street corners to stab passers by with a needle. 

I'm expecting the government to hire Michael Van Gerwen and Phil Taylor throw the vaccines into an crowd at an anti vax protest.

3 hours ago, Thefox81 said:

I think everyone seems to have a slightly different experience .... That’s not possible but you get the gist ....

3 hours ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Thanks for that. Good to know the lack of breath doesn't have to mean too serious of a condition if that does come for me later. Had a temperature for a few days now but it's not full on sweating, just consistently feel hot. 

My temp ran on for about ten days , it generally came on late afternoon ..... it depends what the disease does to your insides .......

russian roulette comes to mind but I think that treatments have changed over the past six months so even if you had a downturn you’re better placed now .....

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I think everyone seems to have a slightly different experience .... That’s not possible but you get the gist ....

My temp ran on for about ten days , it generally came on late afternoon ..... it depends what the disease does to your insides .......

russian roulette comes to mind but I think that treatments have changed over the past six months so even if you had a downturn you’re better placed now .....

Thank you for the input. Interesting , as you say,  having a similar experience with the temperature coming on and going off at certain times. At least upon waking up it's not there. Coughs getting more and more nasty but still within what I've had from bad colds in the past. Pretty optimistic anyway and not a lot to do but wait it out.

15 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd be interested as to how they'd roll out the vaccine. I'd assume would be the at risk categories first: so elderly, those with conditions etc? Then begin into the lower risk groups 

I’m assuming there would be freedom of choice and leave it up to the individual whether to have the vaccine or not.

People are talking about 70 million people having the vaccine, that won’t happen.

I would think the at risk and those working within the NHS and care homes would be encouraged to be vaccinated and eventually anyone else who wants it.

9 hours ago, Harrydc said:

I think I'll be taking some time off this website. Its all so mentality draining, and I feel as though I'm made to feel crazy. Maybe I am crazy, who knows? All I know, is that all of these restrictions, my job under threat. bills to pay and no future prospect is too much for me to think of right now. But still, we've got to think of others... Right.

So a break from here is definitely needed. 

It's almost as if people if differing backgrounds have differing views. 

If you find it exhausting people don't automatically share your world view then life is going to be difficult. 

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

It's almost as if people if differing backgrounds have differing views. 

If you find it exhausting people don't automatically share your world view then life is going to be difficult. 

To be fair to the guy, there are certain situations (climate change being one of note) where consistently having to point out where people are ignoring scientific fact for the sake of their own self interest *is* a bit exhausting. And also such viewpoints aren't exactly harmless when the people that hold them can vote and therefore indirectly craft policy based on those viewpoints.

27 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

thats all well and good then having a 2 week national lockdown, but doesnt that just delay the problem to further down the line

as stated by number of people in the medical fields

Yeah. I've been for most of the measures so far, but I'm a bit confused about this circuit breaker and what it is designed to achieve. Maybe I've not heard the background and rationale behind it. But doesn't it just kick the can down the road for a month or so? 

I read flu season tends to peak in late January/early February, so that we be the time we're most likely to breach NHS capacity and doesn't this just kick the can nearer to then?

More than happy for someone to explain the logic behind it to me as I may have missed something. But I don't understand doing a circuit breaker lockdown now from what I've heard. Surely it's better to save the lockdown for December, January, February time if NHS capacity is approaching capacity and just do local lockdowns until then?

Edited by Sampson

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

More than happy for someone to explain the logic behind it to me as I may have missed something. But I don't understand doing a circuit breaker lockdown now from what I've heard. Surely it's better to save the lockdown for December, January, February time if NHS capacity is approaching capacity and just do local lockdowns until then?

One month ago Sage advised a national lockdown when cases were at 5K a day. Right now they are at 20K a day, a four-fold increase. If we don't get on top of the problem quickly, those 20K cases will be 40K cases a month from now, then 80K, etc. We might have hospital bed capacity now, but at this rate we will be at maximum capacity in no time at all. So whilst it might be that it won't be until December that we are at breaking point, if we wait that long then it's already too late, and we will be in the position Italy found themselves in when Doctors and Nurses had to choose who lived and died because not everyone could be treated at once.

The problem is it probably already is too late... 

27 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

To be fair to the guy, there are certain situations (climate change being one of note) where consistently having to point out where people are ignoring scientific fact for the sake of their own self interest *is* a bit exhausting. And also such viewpoints aren't exactly harmless when the people that hold them can vote and therefore indirectly craft policy based on those viewpoints.

In this respect he feels, and probably with some reason, that he shouldn't have to shield and specifically complains about having to think of others. 

I think that people on this board with vulnerable spouses and family members might well have an equally justifiable position that opposes his. 

You do have a point about climate change but this is a situation where there are multiple conflicts of interest. 

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

One month ago Sage advised a national lockdown when cases were at 5K a day. Right now they are at 20K a day, a four-fold increase. If we don't get on top of the problem quickly, those 20K cases will be 40K cases a month from now, then 80K, etc. We might have hospital bed capacity now, but at this rate we will be at maximum capacity in no time at all. So whilst it might be that it won't be until December that we are at breaking point, if we wait that long then it's already too late, and we will be in the position Italy found themselves in when Doctors and Nurses had to choose who lived and died because not everyone could be treated at once.

The problem is it probably already is too late... 

I get that, but don't you need a lengthy sustained lockdown for 3 months or so as it was back in the spring to get numbers that low again? The numbers seem to decline much slower than they increase.

Surely 2 or 3 weeks is not long enough and cases will still be at a level where they just shoot up to the same level a month later and then we're facing this same problem in December when we're approaching peak flu season and people have lockdown fatigue and are less likely to comply over Christmas. In which case we've just kicked the can further down the road from autumn to winter where it could be more devastating.

I'm not against the lockdown, I'm just not sure how a 2 or 3 week lockdown solves much. Surely it makes more sense to do a longer one over the winter if and when it's needed more?

Edited by Sampson

Getting frustrating now, on for 50 hours post test with no result. 

It’s not even so much me. It’s more the effects people I met on Friday. Proves how faulted our system is though. As it stands there are five colleagues at work, who are isolating and potentially exposed their families. The longer I wait for a result, the bigger chance someone doesn’t isolate 

22 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

In this respect he feels, and probably with some reason, that he shouldn't have to shield and specifically complains about having to think of others. 

I think that people on this board with vulnerable spouses and family members might well have an equally justifiable position that opposes his. 

You do have a point about climate change but this is a situation where there are multiple conflicts of interest. 

Oh yeah, I'm totally with you on this one. I was just being a pedantic bastard and highlighting that sometimes it's possible to get exhausted with human stupidity for the right reasons. :D