Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

My Sainsbury's Local have started making people queue outside again.

Either masks work or they don't.

If they do, what's the need to make people queue as well?

If they don't, stop making people wear masks and just make people queue.

Doing both makes no sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Getting frustrating now, on for 50 hours post test with no result. 

It’s not even so much me. It’s more the effects people I met on Friday. Proves how faulted our system is though. As it stands there are five colleagues at work, who are isolating and potentially exposed their families. The longer I wait for a result, the bigger chance someone doesn’t isolate 

massive problem and perhaps going to be the largest contributor to the country failing to control a second wave …..if you spend the money on building a test and trace system then what we have now is an unmitigated disaster …….. why would people stay at home for days on end losing money when there may be no need …. fwiw, 50 hours isn't too long. the system should deliver guaranteed results within 72 hours max. i think people would just about buy into that.

Edited by st albans fox

2/3 week firebreak or whatever they want to call it isnt going to do much long term;

needs to be a 3/6 month national lockdown for numbers to really go down and stay down imo, plus the track and trace stuff needs to work too

i dont get why there is such the uproar about wearing masks, its not like its a massive problem in all seriousness 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

massive problem and perhaps going to be the largest contributor to the country failing to control a second wave …..if you spend the money on building a test and trace system then what we have now is an unmitigated disaster …….. why would people stay at home for days on end losing money when there may be no need …. fwiw, 50 hours isn't too long. the system should deliver guaranteed results within 72 hours max. i think people would just about buy into that.

Left the test centre being told 24 hours - which left disruption to a minimum. Was 48 hours when booking (could be five days). 

If it just said five days, I’d accept it and inform those affected by me self isolating about that time frame 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

I get that, but don't you need a lengthy sustained lockdown for 3 months or so as it was back in the spring to get numbers that low again? The numbers seem to decline much slower than they increase.

Surely 2 or 3 weeks is not long enough and cases will still be at a level where they just shoot up to the same level a month later and then we're facing this same problem in December when we're approaching peak flu season and people have lockdown fatigue and are less likely to comply over Christmas. In which case we've just kicked the can further down the road from autumn to winter where it could be more devastating.

I'm not against the lockdown, I'm just not sure how a 2 or 3 week lockdown solves much. Surely it makes more sense to do a longer one over the winter if and when it's needed more?

2 or 3 weeks is surely sufficient within a single lockdown household for the virus to play out and expire? 

As I understand it back in March the virus was then still circulating within groups of essential workers and hence we had to wait until it subsided within those groups.  Those groups should hopefully retain a higher level of  immunity.

20 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I wonder how many meetings and brain storming sessions it took to come up with “Firebreak” obviously they wanted something different to “circuit breaker” as that was from Boris and his team.

'Guys should we discuss how we strategise the incredibly difficult task of balancing public health and the economy?'

'Stop getting distracted and focus on the task in hand - circuit breaker, firebreak or Paul's suggestion of 'The Ultimate Switch Off?''

Edited by Nalis
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Experts reckon masks provide a significant degree of protection but do not offer any guarantee of safety.

A bit like car seat belts.

Just because seat belts don't offer 100% guaranteed protection in a crash, should we say: "there's no point wearing a seat belt AND driving safely, I'll just drive safely"?!

I presume your Sainsbury's Local has re-started queuing as a risk calculation - higher risk due to higher infection rate?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bovril said:

I've tried to be quite civil in my debates during this pandemic, and I also appreciate the need to remain sceptical of any knee-jerk measures being brought in. But this is one of the stupidest posts I have seen about the whole situation on any social media. It's like asking why we wear a hat and scarf when it's cold? The two things work together. There's evidence that suggests social distancing and mask wearing may reduce the viral load meaning the individual catches a milder form. 

I mean you could question the measures if you want, but asking why people do two things in combination is genuinely baffling. 

On top of this, it also protects and looks out for shop workers who constantly restock the shelves and work in the stores.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

If my seatbelt works why do I have airbags?  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

*Refusing to bite and trying very hard to read, laugh, and not post what I'm actually thinking to try and preserve my sanity*

I presume you are referring to me, you may want to read this and all the signatures from people who have a much better understanding than you on the subject https://www.5gspaceappeal.org/the-appeal

the virus is nothing compared to the effects radiation can cause short and long term

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

I presume you are referring to me, you may want to read this and all the signatures from people who have a much better understanding than you on the subject https://www.5gspaceappeal.org/the-appeal

the virus is nothing compared to the effects radiation can cause short and long term

I wasn't actually, if I had have been referring solely to you I would have said so. Interesting to see that you jumped to that conclusion though, and also that you assume I have little understanding of the subject. I suggest you read this: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/05/great-5g-conspiracy/611317/ and come back to me, possibly on another thread though, maybe start a conspiracy theory thread if we don't already have one?