Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Just now, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

What a bizarre response. I can think things have been as badly managed abroad by others as they have been here. 

I just think the attitude you seem to have that we're this selfish pig of a country is wide of the mark when any one person, or group of people, breaking the rules is roundly met with widespread condemnation. There are going to be twats, of course there are – we're a nation of over 60 million people, but it's a brush a minority are tarred with, generally speaking.

Bizarre? How? You are seemingly laying the blame for this at Boris' door, I merely pointed out that the rest of Europe is in the same dilemma, seemingly not all down to Boris? Or do you think it is? 

I have spent too many hours here reading posts from people crying 'oh I can't stand this anymore' then on the next post 'I refuse to wear a mask'. You are right, there are many twats, have you read the Braga thread on the main forum?

Just now, Facecloth said:

Because you said so many in this thread are "me, me, me". Its because they've behaved themselves and their freedoms are being removed because others haven't. We always have to walk as slow as slowest person, its always the 1% of ****wits ruiniing it for the rest of us.

Yeah, I think either I haven't been clear, or you've missed my point, if it's me I apologise, but we are both arguing the same point from what I can see

6 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

So, fast forward one month and we're still in the same position, or no better, what then?  Perhaps people will start to listen to the minority who insist lockdowns do not work and that what we're experiencing is a normal seasonal resurgence in respiratory illnesses.

Perhaps we'll be in a better position? But that wouldn't suit your agenda, huh?

8 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

That's it.  I wasted my chance 1st time around.

This time, I'm going to leave the hair to grow and chuck out the razor.

With the weight gain caused by avoiding the gym, I'm gonna look like Giant Haystacks by April 2021.

And join the vulnerable! 😂

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

I really have no idea what you are talking about, please elaborate? 

You have stated at multiple points in this thread that you have thoroughly enjoyed lockdown because it has allowed you to spend more time at home. So for you to point the finger at people being selfish, who are frustrated at not being able to do things like go to the gym, comes off quite hypocritical.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yeah, I think either I haven't been clear, or you've missed my point, if it's me I apologise, but we are both arguing the same point from what I can see

The thing i took from your post was that you were fed up with people complaining about having to stop doing what they like doing. Sorry if I misunderstood.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Bizarre? How? You are seemingly laying the blame for this at Boris' door, I merely pointed out that the rest of Europe is in the same dilemma, seemingly not all down to Boris? Or do you think it is? 

I have spent too many hours here reading posts from people crying 'oh I can't stand this anymore' then on the next post 'I refuse to wear a mask'. You are right, there are many twats, have you read the Braga thread on the main forum?

Bizarre in that I obviously don't hold Boris accountable for the state of Europe (where, as mentioned, I can think things have also been mismanaged) – we were talking about the state of play here, where it's *impossible* to think he's done anything other than an absolutely shambolic job.

Braga thread is a fantastic case to illustrate my point; thanks for referencing it. Nonsense thread started by some prat, which has received an almost overwhelmingly negative response with plenty of condemnation towards anyone travelling. The selfish are the minority.

9 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Perhaps we'll be in a better position? But that wouldn't suit your agenda, huh?

Not my agenda.  I'm just looking for information that gives a more balanced view rather than the doomsday scenario the BBC put out every day.

You might want to start here, it's a good read:

https://unmaskdata.com/2020/10/28/except-for-the-highly-vulnerable-in-the-covid-19-era-its-time-to-immediately-end-lockdowns-and-school-closures-and-resume-life-as-normal-for-everyone-else/

Our governments are being informed by ‘experts’ seemingly driven by ideology/politics, and thus we are being subjected to ideological policy and not science-based policy, yet they are telling us they are following the science, and we as the public, are realizing they often talk nonsense. None of this makes sense anymore, even if it initially made some sense. Still running after a ridiculous Imperial College Ferguson modelling that has been discredited. Utter junk science by a researcher (s) that has been proven wrong time and again. They have been flat wrong and these inept experts keep pointing to these models when we have actual data now. Who would refer to models when there is data to inform us? What has been the impact and has our response been proportionate and scientific based on confirmable data? ‘The answer is an emphatic ‘no’. Have we matched COVID-19 public policy to data? The answer is ‘no’. 

Of course the BBC gives airtime to Ferguson before the announcement tonight.  A long segment.  Suits their agenda.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

56 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

You have stated at multiple points in this thread that you have thoroughly enjoyed lockdown because it has allowed you to spend more time at home. So for you to point the finger at people being selfish, who are frustrated at not being able to do things like go to the gym, comes off quite hypocritical.

If you mean because I'm 45, the mother of 3 children with a form of blood cancer that means I am high risk and therefore happier at home throughout this then yes, you are right, If that makes me hypocritical, well, I don't really care.

Edited by FoxesDeb
Typo

23 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I think we're arguing the same point? I've behaved exactly in the way you describe, so I'm not sure what your point is? Or at least, why you've quoted my post... We are all being punished because so many people couldn't follow the guidelines, that was my reason for the post

what a load of rubbish, we are not being punished because so many people couldn't follow the guidelines what a selfish thing to say

it's because they don't know how to control it, its not just this country the whole world

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

You can't take some degrees online though, your practical sciences aren't just online. What course do you do out of interest? Every degree pretty much is online minus those aspects which are needed for accreditation of the degree itself. 

Same with schooling, my friends a teacher and you struggle to actually get kids to work or learn when they aren't physically in rhe room. That in itself helps for kids to learn so many lessons on how to interact with people etc.

Do we have data that shows kids continue to learn well at home or develop compared to at schools? What about those who don't have access to equipment to have lessons at home? Or with multiple children all needing to have lessons at the same time?

M. Ed. leading into Ed. D. 

The schools I've been into all have lessons recorded for use at home along with materials. Most of them have mobile friendly sites too. Laptops have been provided to students in receipt of the pupil premium. 

I'd imagine that there isn't any data given the uniqueness of the situation and lack of formative assessments last year. But I can certainly attest that there are research papers that demonstrate students learning isn't necessarily impacted by being in the room. If a student is going to resist work that will happen anywhere. Infact, home learning can very much be a driver for success in the more gifted because they're removed from the students for whom the classroom is an opportunity to disrupt. 

Put simply the education system can stand the hit. A few weeks of home education isn't going to hamstring a generation of children into being morons. 

Teachers and students, and by extension their families, are being put at risk by being asked to work in fertile grounds for germs and, I can't stress this enough, being asked to do so in environments that aren't very safe. Classrooms, in the winter, are required to have external doors and windows open. This is only going to make folk ill. With a virus that has the capabilities of being hideously serious teachers and students are being asked to work in freezing enviroments with scant in the way of PPE. It's unfair. 

1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Not my agenda.  I'm just looking for information that gives a more balanced view rather than the doomsday scenario the BBC put out every day.

You might want to start here, it's a good read:

https://unmaskdata.com/2020/10/28/except-for-the-highly-vulnerable-in-the-covid-19-era-its-time-to-immediately-end-lockdowns-and-school-closures-and-resume-life-as-normal-for-everyone-else/

You mean, here's a link that supports my view of it.. I form my opinions out of the data, not news reports or any other biased write ups.

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

what a load of rubbish, we are not being punished because so many people couldn't follow the guidelines what a selfish thing to say

it's because they don't know how to control it, its not just this country the whole world

They don't know how to control it because people aren't taking the correct precautions. I think the government has handled this pretty badly, but the slogan "Hands, face, space" is pretty clear. But people ignore it. I know a few who point blank refuse to wear a mask, I see people all the time entering shops and restaurants and not sanitising their hands. And being an idiot isn't exclusive to the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Facecloth said:

They don't know how to control it because people aren't taking the correct precautions. I think the government has handled this pretty badly, but the slogan "Hands, face, space" is pretty clear. But people ignore it. I know a few who point blank refuse to wear a mask, I see people all the time entering shops and restaurants and not sanitising their hands. And being an idiot isn't exclusive to the UK.

I'm very much against this and every time i go shopping I put a mask on and abide by the rules and so does everyone else that walks around from what I see.

The main problem is the schools being allowed to be open from young to uni

5 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Well, tonight's four week lockdown is based on projections, not data.  So what's your opinion on that?

20 hours ago, Fktf said:

For all the hate on here, there is absolutely no getting away from basing decisions on modelling of this disease. It isn't Ebola, where people get seriously ill in a few days. It takes weeks to require hospitalization from covid19, so you have to take a look at current infections, estimations of future infections based on r, and then predict what the nhs will look like in 2-4 weeks. With current infection and r rates, its no use waiting to bring in lockdown when, say, 90% of icu beds are full, because by that point you're locked in to a trajectory to breaching icu capacity. In fact, in cities like liverpool, we are already decidedly close to reacting too late.