Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

The rush to get back to "the new normal" has possibly led to a laxity in people's thinking towards the virus and how to protect themselves and others. 

Shops and hospitality represent and easy and oblivious target for being seen "to do something" - but these are spots where people will relax, mingle and generally behave differently than in more professional settings. 

Plus if you consider the complexity and difficulty of track and trace when someone has been at something like a shopping mall, pub or restaurant - areas with mass turnovers of people in short spaces of time, they feel like a prime candidate for initial restrictions. At least with schools, universities and places of work - these places know who will be there day in day out. 

Problem is, the first lockdown was such an unprecedented and unthinkable move to many that most people took on board the restrictions in good spirits.

I'm not sure this will be the case second time around.

I can only speak anecdotedly here but I know a great many shop owners/managers and they are all saying the same thing which is people come in with a purpose, ie they are not browsing or mingling, but coming in to make a pre decided purchase. All, without exception, are reporting a much higher conversion rate than last year and all are reporting people are shopping locally. Now people will just be driven to the dreaded onlime behomoth. Make no mistake this is a disaster for small local retailers and I know many who probably won't survive now.

Also many people do not spend very long in many shops and do not have much close contact with other people the way they do in schools or in private homes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

• Failure to prepare for the looming pandemic in January and February
  • Failure to lock down fast enough
  • Failure to provide protective equipment for health workers
  • Failure to protect care homes
  • Failure to deliver an efficient test and trace system which he's slung an unqualified mate in charge of. A system the fate of the nation supposedly hinges on
  • Failure to devise a plausible alternative to A-levels
  • Failure to use the summer lull to prepare for the imminent second wave
  • Rewarding cronies with cabinet jobs, peerages and untendered contracts
  • Scapegoating scientific advisors
  • U-turn after u-turn after ****ing u-turn
  • Encouraged remote workers to return unnecessarily so commercial landlords had some moolah in their collective pocket

I'm going to leave this thread now because not only has typing that out made me unfeasibly annoyed at myself that I'm even biting at someone that this will clearly wash over – I'm also just incredibly sad the your first point of finger pointing is the public that by and large are doing their utmost to adhere to the rules under the catastrophic reign of this selfish, incompetent ****.

Even as a Tory voter I can say that is ridiculous, I don't understand why some can't lay some of the blame at the Governments door, why is it the small percentage of people who haven't followed the rules to the book fault?

• Like 3

The virus is here and it's not going away. It probably never will. Nature has finally got sick of our shit and has made it more difficult to live a very long life or survive with biological weaknesses. We should probably just learn to accept this and get back to a more normal way of life as there is very little that can be done. When a terrorist strikes theres always lots of 'they will not intimidate us and force us to give up our way of life' type declarations but they're doing the exact opposite here. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Nobody said to 'stop education' as you've elected to put it. Just to close the buildings. 

I'm currently taking my degree online resultant of the pandemic. I work closely with schools who are all prepared to offer online education. It isn't a problem. Keeping the physical locations open if a political choice and not driven by data. 

Utter utter bullshit.  You can’t teach kids 5-11 remotely, most of them haven’t got the ability to deal with it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Utter utter bullshit.  You can’t teach kids 5-11 remotely, most of them haven’t got the ability to deal with it.

Oh okay. Utter bullshit it is. 

There's absolutely no way tasks could be scaffolded and lessons recorded to ensure some progress during a period of lockdown. That hasn't happened even recently. Utter bullshit it is. 

Just now, foxile5 said:

Oh okay. Utter bullshit it is. 

There's absolutely no way tasks could be scaffolded and lessons recorded to ensure some progress during a period of lockdown. That hasn't happened even recently. Utter bullshit it is. 

Some progress? Oh that’s fine them.  Forget that learning social interaction is half of what we do at school, and settle for some progress.  
sorry no.  Not good enough.

• Thanks 1

We know what happens here ....

we had the first film in the spring 

the sequel will follow the same script

we know that with daily cases 50k plus and the virus moving up the generations that hospitalisations will begin to spiral .....and with some therapeutics now available and better understanding of treatments required to help, we could see even more people in hospital for longer and deaths at a little lower rate than the spring. But that means even more people in hospital.  

so how do we put a brake on the drowning of the NHS over the next six weeks - I’m genuinely interested. My business may well not survive this second half on retail but I dont really see what options there are at this point.  

You could ask all over 65’s to stay home apart from essential shopping in supermarkets/food shops (in pre set time periods during the day)  and to avoid all contact with other age groups but I simply don’t believe that they will observe this. unless nearly everyone buys into the  solution then it won’t work. 

Edited by st albans fox

10 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Some progress? Oh that’s fine them.  Forget that learning social interaction is half of what we do at school, and settle for some progress.  
sorry no.  Not good enough.

Hold on. You were the one that threw up learning remotely. You didn't mention social interaction. You can't throw up one variable then whinge about another. 

Social interaction isn't 'half of what we do at school' at all. That, to parse your words, is utter bullshit. Social interaction is, seeing as you want to apply a proportional value to it, an hour of a six hour day. So about one sixth or 16%. Probably more given there is SOME social interaction in a classroom. So your weird hyperbolic statement is, at its core, faulty. Forgetting the fact 'social interaction' is much more likely to be developed through the family and friends network. A school's remit is, incase you're not familiar, to educate. Not to entertain. 

And who are you to cast judgement on what's 'good enough' from a school? You're not OFSTED. 

Edited by foxile5
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You could ask all over 65’s to stay home apart from essential shopping in supermarkets/food shops (in pre set time periods during the day)  and to avoid all contact with other age groups but I simply don’t believe that they will observe this. unless meanly everyone buys into the  solution then it won’t work. 

'Selfish *****' :rolleyes:

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

12 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

If you really, truly believe that all you have posted above is true then that is a sad indictment on society i

*can't be bothered to waste my time*

He's not said anything that isn't true about Johnson.

The man is a terrible PM. He's winging it and making the wrong choice at every turn. 

• Like 3