Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

33 minutes ago, Sampson said:

What a day. Think everyone is suffering in one way or another.

This feels worse than the first lockdown. The first lockdown there was still the sense of comaradery, still the sense of admiration for the key workers doing their jobs.

This just feels shit. We're all fatigued and exhausted about the whole thing.

Completely understand and support the lockdown, but it's just so draining.

Politics and disagreements on what is right or wrong on these boards should be put aside for now. Just hope everyone on FoxesTalk is ok through all this and everyone's friends and families are ok. I know many won't be and many will be suffering at a time like this and words don't do it justice.

Never thought I'd live through anything like this. It's just shit. The cause and pain this virus has caused in terms of it's direct and economic impacts. For everyone. 

I would say it's made me reevaluate many things in my life, which it has. But at the same time, the one piece of advice we've all been given above all else is "you only live once, so cherish each day as if it's your last" and we can't even do that right now. We can't even act on all those reevaluations we've had right now.

My father-in-law turned 90 recently, my wife was able to see him briefly outdoors in the summer, but hasn't been able to see him since his birthday. It breaks her heart and it breaks my heart seeing her like that and not even being able to spend time with her family.

****ing hell. What a shit year.

Very well put! This for me is the most depressing thing of all, the feeling of being powerless.

Hopefully the Foxes can win on Monday to give us something to cheer about!

• Like 1

The few recent pages of this thread just shows how angry - and fearful - people become when they truly realise that they don't have control over their own lives. I mean, it's always been so (the "every man is an island" stuff has always been rubbish) but now it's very much in one's face.

I would pass more judgement from over here but judging by the multitude of planks out in Itaewon for Halloween parties last night - despite most of the bars and clubs voluntarily closing for the evening - I'm guessing another spike is just around the corner here, too.

5 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Yes. Money can be paid back and written off, not seeing your granny again can’t.

Tell that to people who are gonna lose their businesses, incomes, homes and possibly their lives because of all the job losses and business closures due to all of this. It's easy to just say money can be paid back, but lives will also need to be rebuilt from the ground up.

• Like 2

On 30/10/2020 at 23:35, Leicester_Loyal said:

Just a reminder that they've had over 7 months now to sort out a working test & trace system, increase hospital capacity and try to show some leadership. They've got the hardest job in the world, but even as a Conservative voter, they have been a shambles. Essentially we're now going to go back into lockdown until near Christmas I'd imagine, as cases will only rise until after we've locked down for 2/3 weeks.

I think it'll eventually get to a point where we'll see some fighting on the streets and people actively resisting the lockdown, like they have started to in other parts of the world in the past few days.

Its not going to be pleasant, the main issue I am seeing is a rising force who are wondering why schools and unis are still open.  The teaching union has now gone public to the bbc as well, and sage have gone public in they suggested to include education.

If this somehow works they will be off the hook, but if it doesnt I can see disorder coming.

Noticed on Wednesday that I had no sense of smell at all (after rigorous testing including pretty much shoving a rotten onion up my nose) so went off for a test

Only places I have been in the last 2 weeks are McDonalds and Tesco ffs

C83F3E6F-DB22-477A-8FB2-4EBCB393837B.jpeg

Edited by moore_94
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Innovindil said:

They already are. I needed an MRI a few months back and they sent me to the Spire private hospital and my dad needed a hernia opp and they sent him to Nuffield. Both great experiences tbf and IF the world decides to settle down again I reckon I'm going to look into private insurance. 

IIRC the government offered out a bunch of contracts to the private sector to try and ease some of the waiting lists. Amongst all the other spendings the billions spent here sort of went unnoticed I think.

This is normal practise within the NHS they’ve been outsourcing patients to the private sector for years to reduce waiting lists. 

• Like 1

This would have been solved if the government just did one proper lockdown. Look at Australia and new Zealand. We're an island ffs. It should be a lot easier for us then somewhere like mainland Europe. Incompetent leader and Incompetent government. My worry about this lockdown is it will only bring numbers down somewhat but probably not enough and then come March were back to these numbers again and then what? Another lockdown? What a right cluster ****. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Not my agenda.  I'm just looking for information that gives a more balanced view rather than the doomsday scenario the BBC put out every day.

You might want to start here, it's a good read:

https://unmaskdata.com/2020/10/28/except-for-the-highly-vulnerable-in-the-covid-19-era-its-time-to-immediately-end-lockdowns-and-school-closures-and-resume-life-as-normal-for-everyone-else/

Of course the BBC gives airtime to Ferguson before the announcement tonight.  A long segment.  Suits their agenda.

you can't post that in here, the foxestalk stasi will be round to rip your tin foil hat off 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Dames said:

This is normal practise within the NHS they’ve been outsourcing patients to the private sector for years to reduce waiting lists. 

That's right. I had to have MRI scans on my shoulders several years ago. It couldn't be done within the timescale in Leicester so I was sent to a Nuffield hospital in Wolverhampton.

I don't get why Unis stay open. 

13 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I can see lockdown being extended beyond December 2nd

Sadly I think you're right. This 'save Christmas' bollocks is just a facade for justifying their decision. It doesn't save Christmas at all. Covid doesn't go away on 2nd Dec. 

9 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

This sort of hyperbole is part of what get's people's backs up.  The implication that if we don't go to these sort of lengths, there will be no grannies left.

If coronavirus did not exist, we would expect 300,000 people over 80 (aka "grannies") to die within a year.  Since coronavirus does exist, and let's say a worst case scenario 120,000 total deaths, perhaps 70,000 of them over 80.  Which means 360,000 or so (allowing for those who would have been among the 300,000) over 80's dying instead of the 300,000 we had before.

Which means that without coronavirus, an over 80 had a 10% chance of dying within the year.  With coronavirus, pessimistic scenario, it's 12%.

2% of old people, therefore, will die before their time.  That is undoubtedly sad.  Tragic, in fact.

10% of old people will die on schedule when their time is up.  But they will have spent their last year inmisery with no relatives or friends visiting and they will have probably died alone.

88% of old people will still be alive.  They will have spent a miserable year staring at the walls, those with dementia will have deteriorated, those without dementia may well have developed it, and some of those who couldn't visit the doctor or who were frightened off from visiting the doctor will have developed something else fatal anyway. 

I don't think the government realises that if an old person dies alone after a miserable year, but it isn't coronavirus that kills him, that is not a success for government policy.

Your callous disregard for sixty thousand 'grannies' (your figures) aside, the over-eighties are not exclusive in their vulnerability. I don't have the figures to hand, but during the first lockdown the 'vulnerable' group was somewhere in the millions (including quite a few of non-advanced years on here). Are they all expendable too?

4 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

so..

Pubs, restaurants, gyms and non-essential shops will have to close for four weeks from Thursday, he said.

But unlike the restrictions in spring, schools, colleges and universities can stay open.

WHAT THE ACTUAL **** is the point in that, C'mon someone please enlighten me

I think the education thing is a really difficult balancing act.  In my opinion, closing schools has three serious knock on effects, universities less so but still these to a degree:

1. Short term - many parents who fall into the camp of needing to go to work (manufacturing, construction, key workers etc) find it difficult to manage childcare and continue working.

2. Medium/long term - The mental health implications of not being with their peers can be detrimental to a whole generation of children

3. Long term - The damage that the interruption to their education on top of what they have already missed could be very damaging for that generation and therefore the economy in the next 10-15 years.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I don't get why Unis stay open. 

Sadly I think you're right. This 'save Christmas' bollocks is just a facade for justifying their decision. It doesn't save Christmas at all. Covid doesn't go away on 2nd Dec. 

- Money.

Spot on there though, saving Christmas is the way they're pushing this so people comply.