Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

20 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I fully supported keeping gyms open, but you can't be stopping education for another month plus 

Nobody said to 'stop education' as you've elected to put it. Just to close the buildings. 

I'm currently taking my degree online resultant of the pandemic. I work closely with schools who are all prepared to offer online education. It isn't a problem. Keeping the physical locations open if a political choice and not driven by data. 

I could accept it if we saw some obvious light at the end of the tunnel but if being in and out of lockdown is the new normal then quite frankly what is the point anymore? There's absolutely nothing to look forward to.

Totally unsustainable and frankly grim for everybody. Nobody wins.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bmt said:

I go to puregym loughborough in the morning and its always absolutely rammed. I don't think gyms should be shut but they are definitely somewhere it would spread. Nobody ever does the track and trace so the data would never show infections gained there.

What time in the morning are you getting there? Also it can get busy, but there's been a capacity put on it, so its was deemed a safe number.

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Nobody said to 'stop education' as you've elected to put it. Just to close the buildings. 

I'm currently taking my degree online resultant of the pandemic. I work closely with schools who are all prepared to offer online education. It isn't a problem. Keeping the physical locations open if a political choice and not driven by data. 

4 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

You can't take some degrees online though, your practical sciences aren't just online. What course do you do out of interest? Every degree pretty much is online minus those aspects which are needed for accreditation of the degree itself. 

Same with schooling, my friends a teacher and you struggle to actually get kids to work or learn when they aren't physically in rhe room. That in itself helps for kids to learn so many lessons on how to interact with people etc.

Do we have data that shows kids continue to learn well at home or develop compared to at schools? What about those who don't have access to equipment to have lessons at home? Or with multiple children all needing to have lessons at the same time?

5 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I actually think people, by and large - have observed and applied the rules very, very well (or at least as best they can). You just won't hear about them because they don't sell papers or get people outraged.

Whilst over-simplifying probably isn't the wisest thing to do, it's patently obvious that things skyrocketed again in September – when students were sent / returned to uni. They can't be blamed for being packed off across the country to essentially live in COVID greenhouses. Your pal Boris and his self-serving cronies have absolutely ****ed us.

Presumably you believe that Boris is also in charge of the rest of Europe then, where they are all going through the same as us then? lol

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Presumably you believe that Boris is also in charge of the rest of Europe then, where they are all going through the same as us then? lol

That’s a bit too sensible for in here ....

although I’m no defendant of the govt on this - they’ve made mistake after mistake. .....

Edited by st albans fox
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

This "mass testing" rhetoric concerns me.  It's almost as though they're orchestrating it to lead us all into "mass testing".  Boots now charging £120 for a quick turnaround test I see.  This crisis for the many is making a lot of money for the few.

Sadly so true. 

11 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I could accept it if we saw some obvious light at the end of the tunnel but if being in and out of lockdown is the new normal then quite frankly what is the point anymore? There's absolutely nothing to look forward to.

Totally unsustainable and frankly grim for everybody. Nobody wins.

My feelings exactly.  I remember thinking after the first lockdown that I couldn’t go through that again and here we are again. Only difference this time is I can’t see so many people hanging onto their jobs. 

39 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Genuine questions for anyone who knows the answers.

What happened to all these companies willing to make ventilators?

When increasing NHS staff, how long does it take to train them? I mean just your average NHS healthcare assistant here, not a fully qualified doctor or nurse. Why didn't we hire a huge huge numbers of them 7 months ago while also creating new hospitals and increasing the number of NHS beds? Surely people could have been trained and placed into these new hospitals, to keep patients away from COVID ones.

I’ll tell you what happened to our company which is a major supplier to F1 teams. Most F1 teams sub their work out so when the big push for ventilators came we consequently got involved. The group of teams we worked for pulled their resources and organised their factories to build 25000 ventilators from current designs that were re engineered so they were basically indestructible and self monitoring to help reduce staffing levels etc. I’d never actually realised how unreliable the things are. So, a week before production we got the nod to set up for 5000 per week of a number of different components and they were to be delivered every week for 5 weeks. 1st week everything was done, 2nd week 5000 units were built awaiting inspection from the government bigwigs who promptly decided they were no longer required. And that’s that. I did hear a couple of rumours that some of the big aerospace companies got involved but considering the short timescales and required flexibility that was  being talked about, they weren’t really up for consideration, but in hindsight of how long this thing has actually gone on for, maybe 6-8 month lead times would have been okay. I got a special certificate out of it to allow me to travel the one mile to work though. Bonus.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm going to need to leave this thread alone again for a while, I'm honestly astounded that people have just watched that and yet are still going 'me me me'. The selfishness of our society that has shown itself since the start of this, for me, is both embarrassing and heart-breaking. 

This virus doesn't spread if you take precautions, that were stated way back in March. I've followed those precautions, and as soon as things started opening I tried to get back to a normalish life, whilst still following those precautions. Unfortunately a lot of people aren't follow them and as soon as things opened up again, they've started going out and behaving like there's no virus. So I'm sure you can understand why some people, people like me for example, who have behaved ourselves whilst going to the gym, playing football, seeing friends etc are now told again we have to give up those things because others can't follow a simple rule of washing your hands, wearing a mask and giving people space.

Schools can't be shut long term but if your serious about a lockdown then they need to be closed. Whilst a shame, a month is not going to make a difference to someone's education in my opinion. The worry though I suppose is once they're closed it will be difficult to reopen, like it was last time. 

• Like 1

Just now, Facecloth said:

This virus doesn't spread if you take precautions, that were stated way back in March. I've followed those precautions, and as soon as things started opening I tried to get back to a normalish life, whilst still following those precautions. Unfortunately a lot of people aren't follow them and as soon as things opened up again, they've started going out and behaving like there's no virus. So I'm sure you can understand why some people, people like me for example, who have behaved ourselves whilst going to the gym, playing football, seeing friends etc are now told again we have to give up those things because others can't follow a simple rule of washing your hands, wearing a mask and giving people space.

I think we're arguing the same point? I've behaved exactly in the way you describe, so I'm not sure what your point is? Or at least, why you've quoted my post... We are all being punished because so many people couldn't follow the guidelines, that was my reason for the post

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

What did you think of the video of that lot in Nottingham singing football songs? There didn’t seem to be many over 25’s in it did there. And I think the answer to that is where the problem is stemming from.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm going to need to leave this thread alone again for a while, I'm honestly astounded that people have just watched that and yet are still going 'me me me'. The selfishness of our society that has shown itself since the start of this, for me, is both embarrassing and heart-breaking. 

Wasn't one of the reasons you were so pro lockdown because you've loved having time at home?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's it.  I wasted my chance 1st time around.

This time, I'm going to leave the hair to grow and chuck out the razor.

With the weight gain caused by avoiding the gym, I'm gonna look like Giant Haystacks by April 2021.

10 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I think we're arguing the same point? I've behaved exactly in the way you describe, so I'm not sure what your point is? Or at least, why you've quoted my post... We are all being punished because so many people couldn't follow the guidelines, that was my reason for the post

Because you said so many in this thread are "me, me, me". Its because they've behaved themselves and their freedoms are being removed because others haven't. We always have to walk as slow as slowest person, its always the 1% of ****wits ruiniing it for the rest of us.