Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

20 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I wholeheartedly agree. But the issue is, that was the second or third complete overhaul of the rules since we came out of the first lockdown. Do you remember the old ‘Nando’s’ system we had in place when we first came out of lockdown? I don’t even remember the rankings or the rules of it, it was seemingly discontinued after a month or two and never mentioned again. 

From the very start, the government treated this as a non-issue. Lombardy’s healthcare system was being devastated, and the Prime Minister couldn’t be bothered to attend any of the six COBR meetings through February, then he was out being jolly shaking hands of active Covid patients. In March, Cheltenham was allowed to go ahead with no precautions at all. Atletico fans from Madrid, quickly becoming the second Covid hotspot in Europe, flew in for the Champions League games without any kind of precaution or testing or impediment. In fact anyone flying in had no testing or precautionary quarantining until almost the end of Lockdown. 

Then the government was forced to act and sent us into a full lockdown as the last resort. This gave them a three month period to plan a decisive, flexible reopening system and develop a competent track and trace system to compliment it. What did they come with? Well they put the track and trace system, I’m sure ENTIRELY by coincidence, in the hand of a wife of a Tory MP in Dido Harding, with no experience in any such tasks, and rather than license one of the functioning track and trace apps in Germany, Japan or Korea to build off of, decided to go it alone and build a buggy, ineffective mess with minimal engagement, to the tune of billions of pounds (but a few million £ for feeding hungry kids is off the table, folks). Testing targets set by themselves were consistently missed and continue to be missed. In terms of plan, we’ve already gone over the Nando’s chart and the random muddle of rules tacted on as we went plodding along, until finally this regional attempt was made, far too late after the previous system had gone largely ignored. 

I haven’t even gone over a certain chief advisor having the rules completely altered after he completely fvcked them off to do as he liked, going live on TV to smarmily admit so alongside some road traffic offences that cabinet ministers agreed they’d also commit. Accountability, that. 

Followed by 10pm curfews, mask rules that should have been regulation from the start, and flip-flopping galore in between (“Eat Out To Help Out, until we blame you for Eating Out”).

And now here we are, the government implementing a lockdown twice as long as the one they, not two weeks ago, condemned as ludicrously stupid. 

But no, the government have done a sterling job. Boris does look tired, doesn’t he?

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you say, particularly at the start of this pandemic.  I do however recognise that this is unprecedented and so there are always going to be lessons learnt from trying to open the economy up and the messaging that is put out and so I very much doubt there would be that much of a difference whomever was in charge given they are all using the same civil service resources.  

I share your frustrations on track and trace, but I also understand it is reliant on public compliance which anecdotally has been very much lacking from my own experience. The app is a bit of a disaster and he should never have raised expectations for something that was only ever going to supplement other efforts. Looking at Germany, which is rightfully lauded in its response, they have recorded almost 14k cases today and so this adds to my sense of inevitability for the whole situation. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

• Failure to prepare for the looming pandemic in January and February
  • Failure to lock down fast enough
  • Failure to provide protective equipment for health workers
  • Failure to protect care homes
  • Failure to deliver an efficient test and trace system which he's slung an unqualified mate in charge of. A system the fate of the nation supposedly hinges on
  • Failure to devise a plausible alternative to A-levels
  • Failure to use the summer lull to prepare for the imminent second wave
  • Rewarding cronies with cabinet jobs, peerages and untendered contracts
  • Scapegoating scientific advisors
  • U-turn after u-turn after ****ing u-turn
  • Encouraged remote workers to return unnecessarily so commercial landlords had some moolah in their collective pocket

I'm going to leave this thread now because not only has typing that out made me unfeasibly annoyed at myself that I'm even biting at someone that this will clearly wash over – I'm also just incredibly sad the your first point of finger pointing is the public that by and large are doing their utmost to adhere to the rules under the catastrophic reign of this selfish, incompetent ****.

:appl:

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Exactly my point. Governance by the hour. Even their own MPs are fvcking livid but some on here will tell you there’s not a step wrong with the government. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

• Failure to prepare for the looming pandemic in January and February
  • Failure to lock down fast enough
  • Failure to provide protective equipment for health workers
  • Failure to protect care homes
  • Failure to deliver an efficient test and trace system which he's slung an unqualified mate in charge of. A system the fate of the nation supposedly hinges on
  • Failure to devise a plausible alternative to A-levels
  • Failure to use the summer lull to prepare for the imminent second wave
  • Rewarding cronies with cabinet jobs, peerages and untendered contracts
  • Scapegoating scientific advisors
  • U-turn after u-turn after ****ing u-turn
  • Encouraged remote workers to return unnecessarily so commercial landlords had some moolah in their collective pocket

I'm going to leave this thread now because not only has typing that out made me unfeasibly annoyed at myself that I'm even biting at someone that this will clearly wash over – I'm also just incredibly sad the your first point of finger pointing is the public that by and large are doing their utmost to adhere to the rules under the catastrophic reign of this selfish, incompetent ****.

Here, here. 

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Starting to look like Boris has done this behind closed doors, epaulettes off and cards on the table kind of job. 

Has he finally fallen on his sword? Can’t see him recovering from this, if members of his own party are turning on him. 

He should stick to shagging, seems pretty competent at that. 

9 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Exactly my point. Governance by the hour. Even their own MPs are fvcking livid but some on here will tell you there’s not a step wrong with the government. 

It's all reaction, reaction, reaction. We had the luck of witnessing the virus spread and the foresight of what was happening through Europe. We did nothing. 

Once again for this wave we have the ability to see what was happening elsewhere. On top of that we have some of the best epidemiological modelers in the world in this country, and we've ignored their suggestions. I was lectured by a fair few of those who regularly get quoted, and we've ignored every suggestion.  

This is naivety spread entirely through the upper echelons of this country's leadership and frankly, shame on them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

I'm not educated on this but is there anything the private health sector can do to help? Would making their services freely available (or funded by gov.) help? 

Or are they not big enough to make a dent?

They already are. I needed an MRI a few months back and they sent me to the Spire private hospital and my dad needed a hernia opp and they sent him to Nuffield. Both great experiences tbf and IF the world decides to settle down again I reckon I'm going to look into private insurance. 

IIRC the government offered out a bunch of contracts to the private sector to try and ease some of the waiting lists. Amongst all the other spendings the billions spent here sort of went unnoticed I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PAULCFC said:

So lost my mum at the begining of this shity year,dads in a care home with dementia so not seen him since March and i work in the aerospace buisness.....Things couldn't get much better!

So sorry mate. I haven’t lost anyone but my other half is a pilot and this is becoming a huge worry.

I feel like I could cry tonight with all of this, nothing to look forward to and no obvious way out.

26 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Yet still there are boot lickers amongst the public who will defend Johnson as part of this weird cult of personality. 

• Like 2

Just now, UniFox21 said:

I hate how the focus now is political point scoring, rather than what's actually important 

Exactly....this now needs to be sorted out with the best minds,etc from all partys to come together and forget the party line.This is more important than squabling in the playground which PM questions sounds like sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

So sorry mate. I haven’t lost anyone but my other half is a pilot and this is becoming a huge worry.

I feel like I could cry tonight with all of this, nothing to look forward to and no obvious way out.

Cheers mate,i know it'll sound cold,but i'm sort of glad my mum missed all of this.She was 87 housebound and i don't know what we would have done.

• Like 2

Exactly....this now needs to be sorted out with the best minds,etc from all partys to come together and forget the party line.This is more important than squabling in the playground which PM questions sounds like sometimes.

Exactly. Colour of your 'side' needs to be forgotten and the best of both sides need to be brought together to battle this as one. I'm sick of seeing Tory slate Labour for X and then announce an edited X 2 weeks later. 

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Politics in a nutshell

I stay well away from it for that exact reason. Football fans are mocked for their "team" mentality. Politics is the exact same. Instead of groups of fans in club colours supporting your club and jeering others, it's people in suits doing the exact same. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PAULCFC said:

The government should act like any wartime government and form a coalition government. But as has been highlighted it’s turned into a political pissing contest with covid being the “one upsie”... a sickening act which has ultimately crippled the country. 

• Like 2

Cheers mate,i know it'll sound cold,but i'm sort of glad my mum missed all of this.She was 87 housebound and i don't know what we would have done.

No it’s understandable. I was having a similar thought for family members that I’ve lost in the last few years, this is no way to live.

• Like 4

Bit late but as expected, really. Don't see why gyms and shops have to shut completely but there you go, glad the furlough scheme is supporting them.

I really hope it is drummed into the schoolkids of 14-18 that I see congregating in large groups with no masks or distancing in city centres that huge sacrifices are being made to keep their education going in the proper setting (correctly because although I think it would be more effective in a lockdown, kids don't need the upheaval again) and they start to adhere to what we are all supposed to. Best of luck to the teachers and assistants, you have my full backing in these tough times in what can be a hell of a job.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Yes. Money can be paid back and written off, not seeing your granny again can’t.

This sort of hyperbole is part of what get's people's backs up.  The implication that if we don't go to these sort of lengths, there will be no grannies left.

If coronavirus did not exist, we would expect 300,000 people over 80 (aka "grannies") to die within a year.  Since coronavirus does exist, and let's say a worst case scenario 120,000 total deaths, perhaps 70,000 of them over 80.  Which means 360,000 or so (allowing for those who would have been among the 300,000) over 80's dying instead of the 300,000 we had before.

Which means that without coronavirus, an over 80 had a 10% chance of dying within the year.  With coronavirus, pessimistic scenario, it's 12%.

2% of old people, therefore, will die before their time.  That is undoubtedly sad.  Tragic, in fact.

10% of old people will die on schedule when their time is up.  But they will have spent their last year inmisery with no relatives or friends visiting and they will have probably died alone.

88% of old people will still be alive.  They will have spent a miserable year staring at the walls, those with dementia will have deteriorated, those without dementia may well have developed it, and some of those who couldn't visit the doctor or who were frightened off from visiting the doctor will have developed something else fatal anyway. 

I don't think the government realises that if an old person dies alone after a miserable year, but it isn't coronavirus that kills him, that is not a success for government policy.

Edited by dsr-burnley
  • Like 3