Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 minute ago, Chiltern Fox said:

Does the impending national lockdown mean  the stamp duty freeze will be extended past the end of march 2021?

Who knows, but I read recently that the current back log for conveyancing would even have made any recent purchases unlikely to be completed before that date, with the potential for hundreds of buyers pulling out of the sale.

It would make sense if the SD holiday was extended for sales made before a certain date but what makes sense anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

I'm very much against this and every time i go shopping I put a mask on and abide by the rules and so does everyone else that walks around from what I see.

The main problem is the schools being allowed to be open from young to uni

Well I've seen plenty not following the rules and have one mate who is full on in the "Its all bollocks" group.

I'm dead against it too, I think there are other ways around it, a bit of thinking outside the box, a bit stricter on people not following rules etc.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Bizarre in that I obviously don't hold Boris accountable for the state of Europe (where, as mentioned, I can think things have also been mismanaged) – we were talking about the state of play here, where it's *impossible* to think he's done anything other than an absolutely shambolic job.

Braga thread is a fantastic case to illustrate my point; thanks for referencing it. Nonsense thread started by some prat, which has received an almost overwhelmingly negative response with plenty of condemnation towards anyone travelling. The selfish are the minority.

It really isn't though, why would he be expected to perform better than any other European leader?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

How do people not understand that this virus would still spread even if everyone was following ALL of the rules?

EDIT: But obviously not as fast or infect as many.

Which is the point surely. Its spreading to a point we have to take action because people aren't following the rules. I think if you follow all the rules you extremely unlucky if you do catch it, but there's always a chance as there is with any virus. If more people followed the rules then we wouldn't be where we are now would we.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Can anyone defend this without pathetic politicking??

I don’t see the why a regional approach shouldn’t have been tried and I don’t see why that should be seen as politicking, unless of course you are guilty of politicking yourself.  The fact it hasn’t worked is clearly disappointing but I don’t see why it shouldn’t be tried. 

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

How do people not understand that this virus would still spread even if everyone was following ALL of the rules?

EDIT: But obviously not as fast or infect as many.

How do people not understand that if they had just followed the rules we wouldn't be in this situation now?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Which is the point surely. Its spreading to a point we have to take action because people aren't following the rules. I think if you follow all the rules you extremely unlucky if you do catch it, but there's always a chance as there is with any virus. If more people followed the rules then we wouldn't be where we are now would we.

The impact of people not following rules is tiny compared to the fact people are being asked to go to school, university and back to their work places. Where it spreads rapidly because it nigh on impossible to stop it there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Correct.

But even during a normal winter the NHS is strained, so with purely schools, univerisities, workplaces and key shops open we'd still have a R rate near or above one and this thing would still be causing even more NHS strain. People keep saying 'if we'd followed the rules we wouldn't be here', but 90% (rough guess) of people probably have followed most of the rules, they've done exactly as the Government have instructed them to, and it's still spread like wildfire.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Who gives a toss how he compares, judge him by his own domestic performance. Saying he's not as bad as others doesn't exactly fill me with confidence and sets a pretty low bar. 

Track and trace is the key tool to keep cases local and for society and the economy to keep going and its been an absolute farce. 

For weeks now all we've heard from him and his cabinet is local lockdowns are the way forward, someone earlier even posted the below tweet. Whether you are pro or anti-lockdown, they clearly don't have a plan or strategy. At the start of the year it was all "flatten the curve to ensure to not overwhelm the NHS", it made sense. 

They keep saying "we follow science" when they roundly ignore the advice of their advisors who called for today's action weeks ago. I know some here don't like the advice given, but why have advisors if you're going to ignore them? 

As people have said already, what happens on December 2nd? We're all going to sit around for a turkey dinner a few weeks later, doubt it. 

They're ignoring advice, making a hash of track and trace and don't have a plan. But, as you said, others are worse, whoopty doo I guess that's fine. 

Not that I’m happy with how the government are leading us in this pandemic but one positive is that they are willing to change their minds.

• Haha 1