Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

7 hours ago, Fktf said:

I don't wish this to come across weird, but thanks to all those that have taken the vaccine. The country will be open again before I'm ever offered a jab, and it'll be because enough people have had the vaccine that a) I'm allowed out, and b) there's ok protection for my under 1 year old in terms of her not being likely to meet someone infectious.

pisshead

Had my jab yesterday. Pretty slick operation. Very pleased to have had it as I fall into a higher risk of severe disease due to asthma.

Feel quite poorly this morning, spent the night tossing and turning with chills and body aches. Chills have gone and now feel like I had a heavy night drinking yesterday. Nothing unmanageable though. My partner was the same and her symptoms subsided pretty quickly. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Had my jab yesterday. Pretty slick operation. Very pleased to have had it as I fall into a higher risk of severe disease due to asthma.

Feel quite poorly this morning, spent the night tossing and turning with chills and body aches. Chills have gone and now feel like I had a heavy night drinking yesterday. Nothing unmanageable though. My partner was the same and her symptoms subsided pretty quickly. 

Just out of interest mate, does your asthma fall into the government’s definitions? I called my drs and they didn’t seem to have a clue.

I had the AZ jab the other day and the worst I've had is a lingering headache that I probably wouldn't even notice normally and a bruise. Maybe a bit of tiredness but I have a toddler so wouldn't notice anything different lol

Was speaking to the vaccinator whilst waiting afterwards and he said they are really quiet at the minute as they've done most of the people allowed, and now waiting to open up to next age group. 

48 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Just out of interest mate, does your asthma fall into the government’s definitions? I called my drs and they didn’t seem to have a clue.

I think the stance is anyone who has been in hospital before with asthma. I know asthma UK are arguing anyone with asthma full stop. Think it varies depending on who you ask. 

Edited by Benguin

Just now, Legend_in_blue said:

Covid-19: Is school mask and testing policy flawed? - BBC News

This BBC correspondent is sailing a little close to the wind.  An article going against the narrative at the BBC?  Surely not!

I read the article and decided that the title of the article could have been 180 degrees different.  maybe they are choosing to push the alternative narrative?  

the idea that you shouldn’t try or do something because it isn’t proven in trials (because the trials haven’t been done) is just nuts ?  Seems pretty obvious that they are being over cautious pre Easter (and so they should be). Once the kids go back mid April, another 8 million will have been vaccinated and the risks of the NHS being over run (which is really the only justified point of the more severe restrictions) will not exist.  

I'm convinced that the OxAZ vaccine produces more side-effects than the Pzifer vaccine. This may be due to timings. As I understand it, the OxAZ vaccine introduces an inactive virus to stimulate an immune response against the disease, which happens fairly quickly, and thus can produce shivers etc. within hours of receiving the jab. The Pfizer vaccine acts differently, modifying part of one's RNA, which then also provides immunity. But because this process takes much longer, any side-effects are minimised by the more gradual way that this vaccine operates.   

Edited by String fellow

5 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Had the AZ vaccine on Monday. Experienced all the usual side effects on Tuesday which subsided Tuesday evening. I've noticed since that by early evening I'm incredibly tired and just want to hit the hay. It's quite frustrating as I usually set aside time between 8pm and 10pm to do some exercise but I'm finding I just don't have the energy. It's not even moderate tiredness it's full on sleepy mode so I can't even push through it. Was speaking to a colleague who said she's experiencing the same. Anyone here experienced this and if so how long did it last? 

I had a dead arm for about 3 days. Headache on the first day about an hour or so after I had I had vaccine but nothing tablets didn't sort out. I know a few who have had it though and they've been bed bound for a day or two.

3 hours ago, Benguin said:

I think the stance is anyone who has been in hospital before with asthma. I know asthma UK are arguing anyone with asthma full stop. Think it varies depending on who you ask. 

Yeah that’s it. I’ve been in a n e a few times but my dr’s aren’t having that.

48 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yeah that’s it. I’ve been in a n e a few times but my dr’s aren’t having that.

My nephew is having the same issue. He was in hospital a couple of times when he was young with his asthma and whenever he gets a cold/flu it always makes his asthma really bad, but he rang up his GP and they said he's not in priority group 6 when he should be.

We googled it and found similar to what someone said above that asthma uk are presenting evidence that asthmatics are a greater risk and pushing for at the very least asthmatics to be an extra priority group after priority group 9.

I don't know the science behind it, but it must be really frustrating if you get offered the flu jab every year, know from experience that getting colds/flu brings your asthma on badly as it does for a lot of people, get told your I'm a riskgroup throughout the entire pandemic. Then suddenly out of nowhere when the vaccine comes around you're told you're not getting the vaccine with the other people in risk groups.

Think they've handled the asthma thing really badly.

Edited by Sampson

Is there strong evidence that asthmatics have suffered disproportionately with hospital admission as a consequence of contracting covid?  

common sense would tell you yes but surely the authorities would have lots of evidence by now 

I believe that there is some tenuous evidence that taking salbutamol may help to reduce admissions 

Edited by st albans fox

I have fairly mild asthma too, I say mild because it doesn't affect me day to day. I've had instances where I've had a chest infection from a cold/flu and needed steroids to be able to breath, and I was hospitalised after an asthma attack as a young child. Who knows whether this makes me eligible now? Heard nothing but my Dr but don't want to bother them really as they're no doubt being swamped. I'm in my late 20s so back of the queue as it stands...

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

My nephew is having the same issue. He was in hospital a couple of times when he was young with his asthma and whenever he gets a cold/flu it always makes his asthma really bad, but he rang up his GP and they said he's not in priority group 6 when he should be.

We googled it and found similar to what someone said above that asthma uk are presenting evidence that asthmatics are a greater risk and pushing for at the very least asthmatics to be an extra priority group after priority group 9.

I don't know the science behind it, but it must be really frustrating if you get offered the flu jab every year, know from experience that getting colds/flu brings your asthma on badly as it does for a lot of people, get told your I'm a riskgroup throughout the entire pandemic. Then suddenly out of nowhere when the vaccine comes around you're told you're not getting the vaccine with the other people in risk groups.

Think they've handled the asthma thing really badly.

It’s not ideal. I’ve been in a n e 3x in my life with asthma, the last time was when I had the flu and considering we were told early doors to limit contact with people it does seem like a back track.

That said, we have much more evidence now and I’m fit and health compared to the fat smoking mess I was back then so I should be ok. It is a bit frustrating though when 10 teachers turned up and got the vaccine yet with all of the above taken into account they wouldn’t give it to me.

1 hour ago, DennisNedry said:

I have fairly mild asthma too, I say mild because it doesn't affect me day to day. I've had instances where I've had a chest infection from a cold/flu and needed steroids to be able to breath, and I was hospitalised after an asthma attack as a young child. Who knows whether this makes me eligible now? Heard nothing but my Dr but don't want to bother them really as they're no doubt being swamped. I'm in my late 20s so back of the queue as it stands...

I'd ask. 

I'm in sheilding due to very bad Asthma. Died... twice from respiratory and cardiac arrest. 

Didn't help I had a quite big attack in mid December. Scared shitless going to hospital and getting wheeled into a airlock room to be met by someone wearing a hazmat suit and respirator. Luckily I didn't need to go into resus but went into majors instead. 

5 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

If you were hospitalised (had to stay in) get on the phone to your drs, they will probably say it’s too long ago but refer to the Asthma uk website that says anytime.

https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/triggers/coronavirus-covid-19/what-should-people-with-asthma-do-now/

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rain King said:

How young are they going with the vaccinations? Pretty sure they aren't doing kids? Don't know if there are exceptions to that.

My ten year old had been hospitalised twice with pneumonia and always has chest infections. 

No under 18s are they?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rain King said:

How young are they going with the vaccinations? Pretty sure they aren't doing kids? Don't know if there are exceptions to that.

My ten year old had been hospitalised twice with pneumonia and always has chest infections. 

https://www.nihr.ac.uk/news/first-childrens-covid-19-vaccine-trial-open/26870

• Like 1