Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/only-one-part-england-now-5061304

'Leicester now has the second highest Covid-19 rate in England'

It's weird, I've not known a single person, personally that has had it all the way through the high periods of cases. Now this week two mates have both got it, not connected.

Better to overestimate and scale back than start off short and playing catch-up. We've no idea when everything is likely to open and this protects jobs at places like events, theatres etc.

I'd imagine we won't be too far behind schedule but this provides a safety net.

• Like 2

Guest Harrydc

How is it possible to remain optimistic when they're extending furlough until September? 

I said the same thing in November when they extended it to March. 

Absolutely ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

How is it possible to remain optimistic when they're extending furlough until September? 

Absolutely ridiculous. 

It's a safety net for the companies that won't be able to open at 100% capacity from the get go. Some places will still see lower footfall so will open with a % of staff back on. Like how football stadiums will be opening with a % of supporters in. It will still be used, but not as much.

Same reasoning behind keeping a rubber in your wallet. Better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one. :thumbup:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56255701

Land of the free.

Freedom to get sick and then either be saddled with a lifetime of medical debt or die and your relatives get saddled with it instead, of course. And all completely avoidable.

Seems to me it’s a case of, if you catch it then it’s your problem

4 hours ago, Harrydc said:

Absolutely ridiculous. 

Safety net I'd imagine. Can see why people are sceptical but businesses aren't just going to switch straight back to normal on 21st June. Should go on no longer than that though.

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56255701

Land of the free.

Freedom to get sick and then either be saddled with a lifetime of medical debt or die and your relatives get saddled with it instead, of course. And all completely avoidable.

had this conversation with a friend the other day. I wonder how much $ their health service brings in for their economy, and then you see that they’re opening everything. doesn’t take a genius to work out why

2 hours ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

had this conversation with a friend the other day. I wonder how much $ their health service brings in for their economy, and then you see that they’re opening everything. doesn’t take a genius to work out why

Agreed, though for "economy" you should substitute "moneyed interests" because I don't see their health-care system benefiting all or even most of their populace in that way, do you?

Hell, it barely benefits most folks in the way it's supposed to, like keeping them healthy.

11 hours ago, Harrydc said:

Absolutely ridiculous. 

The economic fallout will carry on way past the death of the virus. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The economic fallout will carry on way past the death of the virus. 

Yep, we - and by 'we' I mean the ordinary working man and woman, not the rich or the big corporations - will be paying off the economic burden for decades through tax rises and cuts in services, and raising the pension age (yet again).

Amazing to find, after how Labour were derided when they considered borrowing for major investment, that the Magic Money Tree exists after all.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Buce said:

Yep, we - and by 'we' I mean the ordinary working man and woman, not the rich or the big corporations - will be paying off the economic burden for decades through tax rises and cuts in services, and raising the pension age (yet again).

Amazing to find, after how Labour were derided when they considered borrowing for major investment, that the Magic Money Tree exists after all.

Not very magic if we all have to pay it back eh. 

Like some shite street magician named Dave the Dazzler. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buce said:

But Surely you see the difference in why the money is aloud to be borrowed in this case and you just getting in a cheap dig or maybe you don’t 🤷‍♂️ 

The threat of the worlds economy sucking its self in through its own 4rse and the (extreme) potential of mankind’s destruction v’s getting a 2mb Internet speeds to a cottage deep in the Yorkshire dales, yeah I can see why you need to take a swipe.

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

But Surely you see the difference in why the money is aloud to be borrowed in this case and you just getting in a cheap dig or maybe you don’t 🤷‍♂️ 

The threat of the worlds economy sucking its self in through its own 4rse and the (extreme) potential of mankind’s destruction v’s getting a 2mb Internet speeds to a cottage deep in the Yorkshire dales, yeah I can see why you need to take a swipe.

Could you unpack this a bit, please?

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Could you unpack this a bit, please?

Sure, (extreme) as in i'm going to the extreme here, potential of mankinds destruction, as in destroy mankind.

Back in March 2020 the world didn't know what it was dealing with & at 1 point it felt like it was a death sentence if you got it & the whole world shut down.
Obviously now after time we know more about it & through £billions spent on research around the world.

You may mock but a virus must be in the top 3 things that will wipe us out eventually & back in March/April a lot of people a 100 times smarter than me were really starting to 5hit themsleves over this i believe.