Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It is bizarre that, when walking along the roadside for example on the pavement, someone coming in the opposite direction will decide to cross the street and continue to walk on the opposite side past you before rejoining the same pavement.

Unfortunately, this is the result of constant scaremongering and fear inducing advertising alongside all the crazy figure headlines we've had time and time again for 12 months.  I see the 1 in 3 asymptomatic figure has been thrown about again this week and it's simply not true.  More and more evidence comes to light to show that it is not true.

But it's within the narrative of what's being discussed so this makes it ok.  Utter a word against it and you're completely shouted down.

It isn't bizarre? Some people are over cautious, so what they aren't particularly harming anyone. Rather over cautious than those breaking rule after rule. 

The issue is, we've needed to scare monger to even get people to follow rules and guidelines. 

9 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It is bizarre that, when walking along the roadside for example on the pavement, someone coming in the opposite direction will decide to cross the street and continue to walk on the opposite side past you before rejoining the same pavement.

Unfortunately, this is the result of constant scaremongering and fear inducing advertising alongside all the crazy figure headlines we've had time and time again for 12 months.  I see the 1 in 3 asymptomatic figure has been thrown about again this week and it's simply not true.  More and more evidence comes to light to show that it is not true.

But it's within the narrative of what's being discussed so this makes it ok.  Utter a word against it and you're completely shouted down.

Well some of us aren't prepared to take the risk however small it might be so it's hardly bizarre.

I think it's bizarre that so many people seem to have a laid back attitude about it. As I've said I just wonder if they carry this attitude with them to other areas of their lives. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

Well some of us aren't prepared to take the risk however small it might be so it's hardly bizarre.

I think it's bizarre that so many people seem to have a laid back attitude about it. As I've said I just wonder if they carry this attitude with them to other areas of their lives. 

To be honest, they might.

Quite many people view a lot of different varieties of risk as something totally abstract, things "will never happen to them". Of course, when the things do then happen to them (and often they do) their viewpoints on the matter tend to change.

27 minutes ago, davieG said:

Maybe, maybe not but if these people and it's not specifically joggers behave like this when passing people it makes you question their overall awareness and how they are behaving in other situations.

Then what's the relevance of asking them to wear masks when running? 

34 minutes ago, davieG said:

I certainly take risks.  On weekday summer evenings I will (or would, in happier times) drive 90 unnecessary miles, risking death and disfigurement in a car crash, just to see an evening's horse racing.  If risk avoidance was paramount, I wouldn't dare leave the house.

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

It might help if some ***** walking didn't take up the entire ****ing path! 

And most walkers probably wouldn't take up the entire path if they were aware of some 'puffing and panting' jogger running up out of eyesight and thoughtlessly passing inches away. Just no excuse for some of the behaviour that many of us have witnessed. Not justifiable. 

3 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I certainly take risks.  On weekday summer evenings I will (or would, in happier times) drive 90 unnecessary miles, risking death and disfigurement in a car crash, just to see an evening's horse racing.  If risk avoidance was paramount, I wouldn't dare leave the house.

Actually, since most accidents happen at home, you are best leaving it for risk avoidance.

https://www.rospa.com/home-safety/advice/general/facts-and-figures

55 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Then what's the relevance of asking them to wear masks when running? 

Well I've not said that and I not sure I would ask them too but then that makes it more important that they make an effort to keep clear.

31 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

And most walkers probably wouldn't take up the entire path if they were aware of some 'puffing and panting' jogger running up out of eyesight and thoughtlessly passing inches away. Just no excuse for some of the behaviour that many of us have witnessed. Not justifiable. 

Well I've seen many walking in groups of three or four, taking up the entire path then other people walking ar snail's pace right in the middle of the path. If you're out walking l, pick a side and stick to it please! 

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I've just got a text from my doctors asking to get the jab because I'm clinically high risk for over 16s (I'm 33) but I've not been to the doctors for years for any reason, I had antibiotics for a few chest infections in my 20s and been on different medications for mental health issues but nothing beyond that, could this be a mistake? Not nice to think I'm high risk when I'm a totally healthy and active 33 year old. 

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I'll have it but I want to wait my turn, there's no way I'm high risk and even less chance I'll take it off someone who needs it. 

Stop moaning and get down the doctors mate, as said it's more hassle than it's worth to rearrange it for a few weeks later.

Get the jab, enjoy life and await for the pubs to reopen:D

3 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I've just got a text from my doctors asking to get the jab because I'm clinically high risk for over 16s (I'm 33) but I've not been to the doctors for years for any reason, I had antibiotics for a few chest infections in my 20s and been on different medications for mental health issues but nothing beyond that, could this be a mistake? Not nice to think I'm high risk when I'm a totally healthy and active 33 year old. 

There's most likely a list of conditions that can render a person more likely to get severe Covid than the general population.  That was certainly the case for the 'extremely clinically vulnerable'.  I have a condition that puts me on that list so although I'm generally healthy (up to a point considering I'm retired) it was worth me getting the vaccine.  None of us really know how we'll react to Covid until we get it.  You're about the same age as my youngest son and if he got an invite for vaccination I'd be urging him to get it done.

4 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I get there may be some obscure things that make you clinically vulnerable but I've literally not been to the doctors in around 5 years and that wasn't for a physical problem. Just doesn't add up why I'd get that text other than a mistake. 

If you know you're not high risk, and there isn't anything medically wrong with you then i wouldnt worry about it, will likely just be an error.

Edited by whitlock

Postive cases seem's to be accelerating down again, start of last week the "last 7 days was around 15-18%" lower than the previous 7 days. This week it's 29% lower than the previous 7 days.

Deaths 36% lower as well. People in hospital with Covid about the same as the start of last May. With better treatments, understanding and the vaccine we should see that number start to drop significantly quicker than it did last year. It took about 2 months to bottom out at around 1000 at anyone time. So hopefully we'll see that bottom out well below 1000 by late April.

If that is the case then the government could start to face serious pressure to speed re-opening up, although I fully understand if they want to exercise patience given the ups and downs of the past year.

I suppose as we gradually re-open if infections, deaths and hospitalisations continue to fall as a pace then we'll have about as conclusive proof that you could hope for that the vaccinations are doing the trick.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

The hospital data (https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare) is starting to be slow to publish, I'm sure it didn't used to be almost a week behind. Still, even up to the latest data, the number of people in hospital has fallen hugely from 39,248 (18/01) to 14,808 (25/02) - it's probably around 12,000 today. 

Down to 12,748 as of 28th Feb. Should be under 12k now tbf, that's end of October 2020 levels.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I get there may be some obscure things that make you clinically vulnerable but I've literally not been to the doctors in around 5 years and that wasn't for a physical problem. Just doesn't add up why I'd get that text other than a mistake. 

I really wouldn't worry about it and just go and get it done. I think the UK have an abundance of vaccines that they are probably struggling to use up, maybe your surgery did a filter of 'chest infections' and have asked those people to attend? idk, but with so many people being offered I would just go and get it done and not worry why you've been invited.

I've had the invitation but obviously can't take it up as I'm no longer in the UK, I think I may be waiting a long time for mine here lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/only-one-part-england-now-5061304

'Leicester now has the second highest Covid-19 rate in England'

It's actually absurd how the city can be consistently one of the highest for near on 10 months now. I'm starting to think it must surely be a case of the population being greater than is actually recorded, so the x per 100k people looks higher than it should be?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Corby is the worst in the country right now, and similarly to Leicester, it's got a high proportion of employment in factories.

People are being let go from jobs if they say they're needing to isolate, especially agency temps in warehouses. Employers in some cases simply aren't doing enough or caring enough