Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

17 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Fair enough, I don't remember hearing any of that last summer but it feels like a lifetime ago, so I'll admit I was wrong there.

It's definitely not up to them, but we should have been encouraging people to go to the gyms rather than going to McDonalds throughout lockdowns. Sticking a tax on sugar items or whatever just punishes everyone rather than the fat people, why should I pay more because some fatty can't stop drinking full fat coke:sleep:

I agree on the gyms, I work in a gym and we were bang on it with covid security, a lot of pressure was applied from those higher up in the industry and many believe that the government did somewhat relent when they allowed gyms to re-open in tier 4 just before christmas time.

It seems to me that obesity has always been one of the major risk factors and may well go a long way to explain some of the few cases of people supposedly dying without a 'pre-existing' condition, I may be wrong but I don't think obesity is registered as one of those conditions. Also with UK having the worst death rate it is not surprising that experts are linking that to the obesity crisis.https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/03/uks-covid-death-toll-fuelled-obesity-epidemic-say-experts/

You would hope that the increasing risk of death in a pandemic would focus the minds of those who are overweight, but then again the health risks aside from covid have been well known for decades, and it doesn't seem to have helped much.

• Like 1

Just now, egg_fried_rice said:

A vaccine acts as a selection pressure on a pathogen, meaning the 'fittest' (read: mutated) versions of the virus will be the ones most likely to survive 

Surely having a high level of infection is the most likely way of having mutations. Reducing infection levels seems to logically mean to me that there's less chance of mutations happening.

If somebody develops a "fitter" version of the virus, then whether they've been vaccinated or not, surely is more likely to survive? 

I'm going to need some more information backing up that guys statement for me to bow down on this one I think. I'm still fairly sure he thinks that the virus will actively mutate because it senses "danger" haha

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Surely having a high level of infection is the most likely way of having mutations. Reducing infection levels seems to logically mean to me that there's less chance of mutations happening.

If somebody develops a "fitter" version of the virus, then whether they've been vaccinated or not, surely is more likely to survive? 

I'm going to need some more information backing up that guys statement for me to bow down on this one I think. I'm still fairly sure he thinks that the virus will actively mutate because it senses "danger" haha

I think the problem is that you have taken your own, self-admittedly simple, view of viruses and projected it onto the health minister.  Specifically, there is no hint in his quote that he thinks the virus is a sentient being; you appear to be projecting your own thoughts onto him.  

Like you, I don't know much about vaccines.  But is it so unreasonable to think that the spread and mutation of viruses is different under lockdown than not?  I think it's a mistake to assume that just because neither of us can understand why the health minister and his plethora of medical advisers think what they do, that we should automatically assume he is wrong.  Let's start with the idea that the experts may be right and we're wrong, not the other way round, shall we?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

And now after 12 months the Government is telling us to start eating healthier lol Not like we've had ICU nurses on this very forum telling us most of their younger patients are fatties, yet it's took this Government 12 months to notice:rolleyes:

And the gyms are still shut lol 

• Like 1

Last Thurs: 9,985 new cases and 323 new deaths

This Thurs: 6,573 new cases and 242 new deaths

Schools reopening might halt the slowdown or increase cases slightly in the next few weeks but we are still on the right track.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I think the problem is that you have taken your own, self-admittedly simple, view of viruses and projected it onto the health minister.  Specifically, there is no hint in his quote that he thinks the virus is a sentient being; you appear to be projecting your own thoughts onto him.  

Like you, I don't know much about vaccines.  But is it so unreasonable to think that the spread and mutation of viruses is different under lockdown than not?  I think it's a mistake to assume that just because neither of us can understand why the health minister and his plethora of medical advisers think what they do, that we should automatically assume he is wrong.  Let's start with the idea that the experts may be right and we're wrong, not the other way round, shall we?

I'm not convinced a lad born into the elite and given a job as a junior minister is actually an expert to be honest. A brief look at his history on wiki doesn't mentioned anything about being an expert in virology or any kind of scientific background. If a virologist was quoted I'd happily take it.

The Hon. James Nicholas Bethell was educated at the independent, fee-paying Harrow School before going on to study for a Scottish Master of Arts (an undergraduate degree) at the University of Edinburgh.[2]

Bethell worked as a journalist, and then managed the Ministry of Sound nightclub, before founding Westbourne Communications which he sold to Cicero Group after succeeding to his family titles.[3]

Anyway @potter3 just explained to me how vaccincations can give mutations an improved chance of spreading. 

"yeah so high number of infections means greater chance of mutations occurring
+ more vaccinated people that block transmission of the regular strain but not necessarily some of these mutated variants = greater transmission of mutant variants that might otherwise have been superseded by the regular strain"

Still, I think Lord Bethell is full of it! haha.

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

And now after 12 months the Government is telling us to start eating healthier lol Not like we've had ICU nurses on this very forum telling us most of their younger patients are fatties, yet it's took this Government 12 months to notice:rolleyes:

Maybe shutting the gyms and restricting people to one lot of exercise per day wasn't the best move?

• Like 1

Just now, Nalis said:

Schools reopening might halt the slowdown or increase cases slightly in the next few weeks but we are still on the right track.

Love them numbers! I'm really excited to see the effect schools re-opening has. If hospitalisations and deaths are still dropping at a good rate in a month it's gonna be looking like we've cracked it.

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'm not convinced a lad born into the elite and given a job as a junior minister is actually an expert to be honest. A brief look at his history on wiki doesn't mentioned anything about being an expert in virology or any kind of scientific background. If a virologist was quoted I'd happily take it.

I suspect that he has advisers who have some experience in the medical field.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Hopefully won't increase hospital admissions even if the numbers do stabilise or even increase. 

We were consistently told hospital admissions was the key matrix so hopefully the government won't shit their pants if cases stop dropping but admissions keep getting lower.

19 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

New variant alert. The mainstream media are currently wanking furiously over the thought of it.

They take the piss now with all this stuff. The positives - cases, hospitalisations, deaths all falling, vaccines numbers emphatically high - still outweigh the negatives. 

These new variants appear to be in the news for about a day or two, clusters are restrained. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spudulike said:

The Ausies will be impressed... 

BBC News - Covid: Italy 'blocks' AstraZeneca vaccine shipment to Australia
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56279202

Considering that AstraZeneca are supplying something that they desperately need, the EU doesn't seem at all anxious to be nice to them.  Does it not occur to them that AstraZeneca might just say that their not-for-profit vaccine will be supplied to everyone else in the world and a few more on Mars before they sign part two of the EU contract?

9 hours ago, Stivo said:

It’s a strange story.  I thought that AZ were manufacturing the vaccine itself  in Australia. Why is fill and finish then happening in Italy?

Most of the AZ vaccine that Australia will get will be manufactured under licence by CSL here in Australia. I believe that won’t be available until the end of this month so initially it was due to be imported.

TBF Italy’s need is far greater than ours in Australia. Authorities here don’t seem concerned.

Edited by WigstonWanderer