Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David king

Calvin Bassey

Mainly played as a centre back, can also play left back

Don't think I have ever seen about him even training with the first team so not too sure on his quality, but they tried to offer him a new contract so they obviously think he is alright

He has pace and power and knows how to get forward. He is a very good Left Back and a decent CB. You're lucky to have got him.

It will be interesting to see how he develops. I felt both he and Alex Pascanu should have been rewarded with 1st team football much sooner, and been sent out on loan to help develop. But there's very little desire to do that when our young players are 18-20, and its no surprise they are starting to want out. 

• Like 1

Pascanu was a strange one, had a solid international tourney last summer and always seemed (from someone who doesn't follow the youth team that closely) pretty well spoken about on here but hasn't really done anything of note in Romania, you do begin to question if he'd have actually made it here. I don't doubt that more kids need to be loaned out rather than languishing in our ressies until they're in their mid-20s, but we seem to have developed a knack of promoting the real deals to the senior squad when they're ready.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will probably be able to pluck another out, but the only youth that sticks out recently as a "could-have-been-better-managed" player is Josh Knight who perhaps could have had a Championship loan this season - then again he seems to be thriving after returning to Peterborough so it's a minor quibble, really. 

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 2

Will look a World Beater against the likes of the Arbroath Smokies and Gretna Green Working Mens Club.  I wish him good luck and can only assume the Club feel they have better options.

10 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Pascanu was a strange one, had a solid international tourney last summer and always seemed (from someone who doesn't follow the youth team that closely) pretty well spoken about on here but hasn't really done anything of note in Romania, you do begin to question if he'd have actually made it here. I don't doubt that more kids need to be loaned out rather than languishing in our ressies until they're in their mid-20s, but we seem to have developed a knack of promoting the real deals to the senior squad when they're ready.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will probably be able to pluck another out, but the only youth that sticks out recently as a "could-have-been-better-managed" player is Josh Knight who perhaps could have had a Championship loan this season - then again he seems to be thriving after returning to Peterborough so it's a minor quibble, really. 

For me it's example after example after example of our youth coaches not being daft. It's been a foxestalk staple for as long as I've been here to call for our youth players to get chances and to over estimate them, then slate our management for never trying them. 

Yet over the same period, an above average number of youth players have had shots at the club, many establishing themselves as regulars, and none that have been overlooked and left have ever accomplished anything that would have got them in the team. 

• Like 2

Luke Thomas seems to be the the longer term prospect? 

He’s made the best move for his career. 

We’ve not lost many “hyped” younger players that have gone on to proved wrong should have kept them.

Recent history:

Louis Dodds

Ricky Sappleton

Billy Kee

Clan Bolger

Harry Panayitou

Jack Barmby

Alex Pascanu

Tom Lawrence

Liam Moore

Andrej Kramaric - not sure he belongs in this list.

George Taft

Alan Sheehan

Richard Stearman

26 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Your banging of this drum is even less funny the 1,000th time round.

Nearly as funny as your drum banging.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sly said:

We’ve not lost many “hyped” younger players that have gone on to proved wrong should have kept them.

Recent history:

Louis Dodds

Ricky Sappleton

Billy Kee

Clan Bolger

Harry Panayitou

Jack Barmby

Alex Pascanu

Tom Lawrence

Liam Moore

George Taft

Alan Sheehan

Richard Stearman

Yes but you're forgetting that some people aren't able to distinguish between someone being a professional footballer and someone being good enough for an established/aspiring PL team.

There were suggestions that we should have kept Bolger after we played Fleetwood in the cup ffs lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

Him and dodoo have me thinking! What level players are rangers looking for? Dodoo ended up in league one so we saying that’s the standard or is it championship potential quality but haven’t lived up to the standard? 

To be fair Dodo barely played a game there, neither did Andy King, so slightly better than League one, maybe mid table Championship

22 hours ago, Sly said:

Recent history:

Louis Dodds

Ricky Sappleton

Billy Kee

Clan Bolger

Harry Panayitou

Jack Barmby

Alex Pascanu

Tom Lawrence

Liam Moore

George Taft

Alan Sheehan

Richard Stearman

Stearman played in the premier League with Wolves for a few seasons. Not sure how he can be considered a flop.

We can't order other teams to borrow our players and we can't make those teams play our players when they are on loan. Chillwell went out on loan because the teams thought he could do a job for them,they don't do it so they can develop our players for us.

If they're good enough they'll get a loan.

• Like 2