Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Investments, stocks, shares

9 minutes ago, casablancas said:

How do you all actually get into this? I have been thinking of purchasing shares in a few companies but I actually have no clue how to start. I have some capital which I am happy to invest. But not sure if I wanna buy and sell ... or just invest and wait. Looking for any guidance and experiences. I am in no way looking to get rich as I hate maths haha, just perhaps a little extra income. 

Usual caveat that this is not financial advice!

First question is to ask yourself what are you looking to get from this and what sort of investments are you after?  You've already asked the question but, specifically, are you looking to put money away and get a steady return in a few years, or are you looking to be a bit more active/risky and look to make some short term returns?  Feel that's a question you need to answer before diving in.  One thing I do (I'm more of a long termer) is to just spend some time thinking what do I think is going up?  Will holidays return, are fossil fuels old hat, will electric car sales continue to increase, will private health care become more prevalent, will rare earth minerals (e.g mining companies) increase due to battery demands etc?  The other thing is that having some diverse investments is a good thing too as if one of your investments does go down the swanny (speaking from experience...) it can be offset by others.

Most of the trading platforms (I use trading 212 so can only speak for that) have practise accounts too.  So might be worth having a bit of a play in there as they give you 50k (not real sadly) to play with so you can see if it's your cup of tea or not.

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, casablancas said:

How do you all actually get into this? I have been thinking of purchasing shares in a few companies but I actually have no clue how to start. I have some capital which I am happy to invest. But not sure if I wanna buy and sell ... or just invest and wait. Looking for any guidance and experiences. I am in no way looking to get rich as I hate maths haha, just perhaps a little extra income. 

1. Use a free trade app like trading 212. 
2. watch some tutorials on how buying/selling works

3. read about the different types of instruments. For example you can buy individual stocks like Apple or you can buy units of fund or tracker such as the S & p 500 which gives you exposure to the top 500 companies in America.

4. Diversify, don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

5. Have a plan. It’s so easy to buy a stock, panic when it drops 10% and then sell it. When you buy, have an understanding of how long your planning to invest for. 

now for my shameless self promo:

if you use this link for trading 212 we both get a free share. ( you just have to deposit £1)

http://www.trading212.com/invite/Fz1tM33F

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThurmastonFox said:

They are mining copper and gold in the Bushranger region of Australia. They spiked in mid January as the first drill found evidence of some gold. It seems that this allowed some investors to make decent profits as the price went sub penny to 9p. 

They have continued drilling a second exploratory hole and continued to find both copper and gold. The grade is still with the analysts to determine but the quantity of metal is deemed to be very very significant. This week then share price has moved from 4.20 to 5.90 based on daily debriefs regarding drilling progress. 

There is a buyout clause with Anglo American based on quantity (in the bag) and grade quality (the bit we’re waiting on). If they take up the clause the share price will reach at least 40p and there are estimates it could go as high as 80p. 

The ceo has previous as he was at the helm of Greatland Gold (GGP) which saw a similar path - though is speculated this could be bigger. 

They also have other producing mines which give the company stability to continue growing beyond the Bushranger project. 

I’ve invested as I made some  profit on greatland (though I caught it very late on) and at 5.50p per share I think this could be a very interesting punt. I have invested at 4.40, 5.10 and 5.60 (all before the 9p spike) and have not withdrawn any yet 

Up to 6.50 so far this morning. This without any more news being released. 

I can accept there's probably ignorance involved on my part, but I just haven't been convinced by cryptocurrencies. I just don't see what the end game is with them? Probably missing out but just something I dont trust about it all, would rather use my money to back real world companies.

2 hours ago, Benguin said:

1. Use a free trade app like trading 212. 
2. watch some tutorials on how buying/selling works

3. read about the different types of instruments. For example you can buy individual stocks like Apple or you can buy units of fund or tracker such as the S & p 500 which gives you exposure to the top 500 companies in America.

4. Diversify, don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

5. Have a plan. It’s so easy to buy a stock, panic when it drops 10% and then sell it. When you buy, have an understanding of how long your planning to invest for. 

now for my shameless self promo:

if you use this link for trading 212 we both get a free share. ( you just have to deposit £1)

http://www.trading212.com/invite/Fz1tM33F

Sorry bud lol can’t use that link just yet haha. 

6915A916-5967-4542-AB1F-C56A35E599FC.png

Edited by casablancas

Reading some of the cope on WSB about GME is quite fascinating lol. I sold 1/3 of mine at 330, then another 1/3 at 275 and the final third at 90 once it was apparent this is going to shit. Feel bad for the bagholders still believing the 'squeeze' is going to happen. You have people who have put crazy money down at 200-400 dollar shares. Gotta feel bad for those people. Hopefully it turns around but to me it looks pretty obviously the bad guys are going to win lol. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Have any of you poundshop Jordan Belforts actually made any serious money this last week or so, or is it all BS? :dunno:

So far I'm £138 down.

But I'm living the life, hookers and coke everywhere lol

And all my friends have changed my name on their phones to Nick Leeson.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Have any of you poundshop Jordan Belforts actually made any serious money this last week or so, or is it all BS? :dunno:

I made about 1400 profit off the gamestop stocks and naked last week off about 1000 put in. Could have made way more but also could have lost it all so I'll take it for what it is. It was a fun ride but don't think this is the kind of thing I'd wanna keep up. If I'm chucking money at stocks I think being  boring with an index fund is probably the most sensible way to go 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Christoph said:

I made about 1400 profit off the gamestop stocks and naked last week off about 1000 put in. Could have made way more but also could have lost it all so I'll take it for what it is. It was a fun ride but don't think this is the kind of thing I'd wanna keep up. If I'm chucking money at stocks I think being  boring with an index fund is probably the most sensible way to go 

It’s interesting watching you boys dabble in this stuff and good luck to you all.

Personally, I’ll just keep sticking all the money I can into my SIPP each month and be happy with the 6-10% growth each year where someone does all the hard work for me!! (for a fee obvs)

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ThurmastonFox said:

It seriously looks like xtr is doing something. Obviously I’m not an insider but of anyone wants to come for the ride I think today is the day to invest. Obviously research before investing. 

Saw this earlier and looked into it and decided to buy. Been interesting so far!

Dipped my toe into crypto this week. Been trading with a few hundred quid and made 10% so far. Pretty much putting limit orders to buy low and sell 10% higher, sometimes with a little manual intervention. Profit goes into a side pot, rinse repeat.