Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Tagliafico

8 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

And given that we are not a “top” club, unlikely to get 8 penalties all season. lol

....It seems like the top defenders play like central midfielders or CAMS!!!

Outrageous talents, can't help thinking getting a competent Left Back and signing Thauvin for the Right Wing should give us the additional creativity we are crying out for. Getting Lewis in with Barnes on the left should be sufficient to take care of our left side. Barnes is better centrally as a support to the main striker and another season of  playing wide left should not be a  detriment to his or our progression.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....It seems like the top defenders play like central midfielders or CAMS!!!

Outrageous talents, can't help thinking getting a competent Left Back and signing Thauvin for the Right Wing should give us the additional creativity we are crying out for. Getting Lewis in with Barnes on the left should be sufficient to take care of our left side. Barnes is better centrally as a support to the main striker and another season of  playing wide left should not be a  detriment to his or our progression.

Actually you're right that full-backs are becoming more like playmakers, and that's just the way tactics have shifted to allow you to play essentially three centre-forwards and not require much creativity from the 'wide' ones of those three i.e. Salah, Mane, Sterling, Son etc.

The full-backs now provide the width and creativity at lots of clubs, Liverpool in particular.

Chilwell is not a modern LB, I've said that for a while, because he likes to play fairly narrow and run into the middle rather than deliver quality balls from wide and beat players. I think Barnes will be better with someone who can do that and not get in his way.

We are well set up to play Ricardo and a new LB the same way as Liverpool play Alexander-Arnold and Robertson - Ndidi is perfect to slot in alongside Evans and Söyüncü when the full-backs push on, and there's plenty of pace between those three to cover on the counter.

I've seen bits of Tagliafico and I think he would be perfect. He doesn't quite look like a PL full-back but he has that workrate that is so typical of Argentinian players and the technical ability to match it. Would be a great buy for us I think.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

A lot of the technical skillset of a modern full back seems to be much to that of a centre midfielder, but with the physical aspects of a winger/wide player. The two best right backs in the world right now, Trent and Kimmich, both started in the middle of the park. 

I also have to say, as I've mentioned a few times on here, Lewis isn't the answer. The key if Chilwell goes is to replace his physicality and dynamism, which aren't two of Lewis' strengths.

...ideally, to have a dynamic winger would be great, but I do not think we need another Ricardo on the Left if we have the creativity of Tielemanns, Maddison and Thauvin!!!

There need to be a balance to the team and a competent left back is all we need.

Edited by sacreblueits442

6 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me mate, I meant if Chilwell goes we need a dynamic left back to replace him. I don't mean creativity by dynamism, I mean explosiveness and speed, the ability to carry the ball forward etc. 

Lewis is a talented youngster with good technical ability, but we already have that in Thomas.

...Sorry I focused on the creativity and failed to make my argument that a dynamic player is not a necessity as with the Simpson and Mahrez combination there needs to be a balance and with Barnes on the same side and becoming the player, that a lot of posters believe he will be, we would be fixed for the Left side.

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

Possibly, but just because Liverpool have Mane doesn't mean they won't have Robertson overlap, and it's also putting a massive over-reliance on Barnes. I also don't think Barnes has, or will ever have, the skill of Mahrez to open a door at the drop of a hat, he's just not the same sort of player. His games about running into space, scoring goals etc. rather than creativity (although his assist stats were good last year, it's not so much his game, more him being in the right positions at the right time or a couple of great crosses/passes)

With a dynamic full back in Chilwell, I haven't noticed us as being unbalanced this season, and when Ben hasn't played in 19/20 we've lost something down that left hand side. I think it's definitely an attribute we need to focus on. 

...surprisingly I am looking at Barnes feeding off Thauvin (or a player of that ilk)!!!

Not that we see a Chilwell Barnes combination in goal creation and the popular belief is that they get in each others way. There has been friction for some time between the two and the combination does not appear to work for both especially for Barnes who appears stifled when Chilwell is in the team.

With an effective right sided winger (for this discussion we will say Thauvin) then he will demand the attention of the defence and leave Barnes potentially one on one and will not cause any undue work load for Barnes to be effective.

The most effective thing you can do is to get yourself in a more attacking position when your opposite winger is attacking the opponents defence.

A sitting Left back would allow cover on the counter as the Central defender could shuffle over to cover if Ricardo or Thauvin are upfield effectively making a back three, we do not, in my opinion, necessarily need, a Left Back flying forward.

1 minute ago, UHDrive said:

With chillwell probably staying id rather we buy this guy and let chilwell fight for for his place with fuchs gone 

If Chilwell stays, we won't be buying a left back. Certainly not a starter, anyway. There's far more important positions that need strengthening.

20 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

He's going mate 

I dont think so. Let's say he stays, then sign this guy, deepen our squad with talent and be in a better tranfer position next summer. Loan KDH out too. 

23 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

If Chilwell stays, we won't be buying a left back. Certainly not a starter, anyway. There's far more important positions that need strengthening.

I feel with the infrastructure and club growth its exactly what we should be doing. Our squad is nowhere deep enough or good enough.

6 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I feel with the infrastructure and club growth its exactly what we should be doing. Our squad is nowhere deep enough or good enough.

Please don't get your hopes up. We're not going to blow half our budget on a left back if Chilwell's still here. I think we need a RW and one or two CBs, maybe another CM or striker if we can afford it. A LB, if we keep Ben, is way down on the list. Even then, it would be backup.

Edit: Besides, Chilwell's as good as gone, now, anyway.

Edited by Raw Dykes
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You're aware that John Percy says the deal is almost done, right?

Yes, and there are reputable twitter accounts that say he's staying and others that he's going to man City.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Yes, and there are reputable twitter accounts that say he's staying and others that he's going to man City.

God*, Club, Percy.

In order of reputable information.

* may or may not exist

• Haha 3