Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Odsonne Edouard

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think he'd be a great signing. I don't think it's outlandish for a team competing in Europe to have 3 strikers to choose from and he's a super clinical finisher.

I’d agree with this, when Rodgers was at Celtic we had Dembele, Griffiths and Edouard all on the books at the one time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I’d agree with this, when Rodgers was at Celtic we had Dembele, Griffiths and Edouard all on the books at the one time.

Thanks for the info henrik. How often did Brendan play a 2 striker system? 

39 minutes ago, Shane said:

Thanks for the info henrik. How often did Brendan play a 2 striker system? 

Not very often in all honesty. However, the plan was to play Dembele and Edouard together in his last season and they looked devastating in pre-season in that shape. However, both got injured and missed our CL qualifier and we got put out and as a result Dembele got sold. I really think if we had kept both of them for that season we could have got to the latter stages of the Europa League. 

Another game that sticks in the mind was when we went to Ibrox and went 2-1 down and had a player sent off, we brought Edouard off the bench and played him and Dembele up front together and they tormented them and we won 3-2 with both scoring. That really was a tactical master stroke by Rodgers that day, most managers in that situation would have brought on a defensive player not another attacker.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

With CL football a distinct possibility, surely this sunmer is our best chance. Prior to that we were never going to bring in a striker of his calibre and give him enough football.

I know we're talking different type of strikers, but all the same I would have thought that Edouard would have been a much better value purchase than Perez last summer.  Interesting thought.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Vardy, Edouard, Iheanacho and Perez all offer something slightly different to each other.

I think he'd be a good signing, he's at a good age and we've got to start looking at Vardy long term.

Pretty much this. 

Of all the faintly realistic potential striker signings he's probably the most interesting. 

How much would he cost ? If we can afford it we should make it happen.

He looks class some good goals in that video.

Could he play in a front three ? Him Barnes and Vardy would be a  very dangerous three.
We could then rotate when needed with Perez and natcho sounds  good to me.

Wouldn’t be a bad signing, fairly pacy and powerful, scores plenty too! Don’t follow Celtic especially in Europe, so would be clueless as to how he’s performed in Europe which give is a better indication of how he’d perform in the prem/champions league. Does strike me as a bit inconsistent from what I’ve seen 

Dont think Celtic are going to be too keen to do business with us. Will take a big fee to prise him away, way upwards of £30m probably. 

Exactly the kind of signing we should be looking to make though. 

2 minutes ago, martyn said:

Dont think Celtic are going to be too keen to do business with us. Will take a big fee to prise him away, way upwards of £30m probably. 

Exactly the kind of signing we should be looking to make though. 

If he were to leave Celtic, at a boardroom level we would be as keen to do business with Leicster as we would with any other EPL club, it’s not a factor imo.

Edited by henrik_62

7 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

If he were to leave Celtic, at a boardroom level we would be as keen to do business with Leicster as we would with any other EPL club, it’s not a factor imo.

Would Celtic want Benkovic back if he were to be included in any deal? Apologies if this has been asked before, as I imagine it has.

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Would Celtic want Benkovic back if he were to be included in any deal? Apologies if this has been asked before, as I imagine it has.

I’d hope so, I’d certainly love to have him back! Disappointed all the Ajer + Benkovic  + cash rumours have disappeared tbh lol, that would have been an incredible deal for us!

Just now, henrik_62 said:

I’d hope so, I’d certainly love to have him back! Disappointed all the Ajer + Benkovic  + cash rumours have disappeared tbh lol, that would have been an incredible deal for us!

If your enthusiasm is anything indicative of Celtic's position as a whole, I reckon we could get Ajer + Edouard for Benkovic  lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

If your enthusiasm is anything indicative of Celtic's position as a whole, I reckon we could get Ajer + Edouard for Benkovic  lol

Was more to do with the reported fees for Ajer tbh, £22m and the likes, that would be an absolute mugging off lol!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I don't follow the players on social media enough to know, but are they best mates, or are you just saying that because they are the same same nationality?

I know enough from posts on here though that Chilwell and Maddison live in each others pockets, but that hasn't stop very strong rumours that Chilwell wants to leave his best mate and run off to London. I'm not sure footballers think to much about best mates in the team. They'll stay in touch and they get enough time off to see each other.

I'm pretty sure Iheanacho was one of the best men at Ndidis wedding

17 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

I think Rodgers would definitely want him as he's worked so closely with him and developed a large part of his career.  My own opinion on him is that he is absolutely different class.  Moussa Dembele was a star for us, unreal, there was no doubt in anyone's mind that he was the best we had in the striking department since Larsson but the second-half of last season Edouard eclipsed anything even Dembele done for us, he was breathtaking. He's going to leave Celtic, he's too good for us, as much as it pains me to say it and too good for Scottish football. The word as I mentioned previously however is he's signed a new deal on mega money (by our standards) to stay for one more season and deliver the 10 then will go with everyone's best wishes.  What will happen this summer though ultimately I guess no one knows.

When Dembele left he made a wise choice in moving to Lyon, somewhere he would play and score goals and will now move to one of Europe's top clubs where he'll probably start every week.  Edouard in my opinion the way he's come on in the last season doesn't need that stepping stone move though and could go and hold his own at a top club already.  I'm not saying starting every game week in week out but in the squad alongside an experienced striker he could make a real contribution over a season and in not too long become the main man.  We got burnt a bit selling Dembele on the cheap and I don't think we'll do the same with Eddy, £30-35m will be our asking price and if there's a number of clubs after him we may get a little bit more.

In my mind he's undoubtedly now the best we've had since Larsson.  He is such a cool finisher, never seems to miss a 1 on 1, electric pace, strong, deadly from free kicks, good with his back to goal, always delivers in the big games. Ibrox, cup finals, Europe.  Pretty mcuh useless in the air is the only weakness I can see in his game and the frightening thing is he'll only get better.  His temparement also is so laid back that nothing fazes him and I think this would really help him when he moves to a top league.

There's people on here who watch Iheanacho most weeks and will be in a better position than me to judge. However I watched a lot of Leicester last season myself, practically every tv game and as good as Iheanacho was as an impact sub the games I saw him, relying on him regularly starting matches and delivering, I don't know if he's what you guys need if you want to be a perennial champions league club.  Again purely based on what I've saw Edouard is in a different class to him.

I don't mean this in any sort of disrespectful way but if you guys do sign him and he develops how I think he will he won't be at Leicester for too long either.  

From what you describe, I can't see him signing for us. Vardy is probably still good for 1 or 2 more seasons and I can't see Edouard sharing time with him, not to mention Iheanacho has improved a lot this season and is a factor that further complicates matters, in that unless we made a significant and permanent move to 3-5-2 we wouldn't be able to satisfy all three players. Selling Iheanacho for good value in this market would be really tough, not to mention he still has a lot to offer us. I can see a bigger club without such complications up front signing him.

18 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Was more to do with the reported fees for Ajer tbh, £22m and the likes, that would be an absolute mugging off lol!

I swear about 6 months ago you were telling us all how good Ajer was.

Have I made that up or, if not, what happened?

25 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I swear about 6 months ago you were telling us all how good Ajer was.

Have I made that up or, if not, what happened?

He had an excellent season the season before last but he regressed a lot this season and has had a very poor season. I wouldn’t even say he’s stalled this season but regressed.

A year ago I would have been waxing lyrical about him no doubt as he had a great season and I thought he’d kick on and develop further but it just hasn’t happened.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Thanks 1

Benkovic and a decent U23 player on loan for the season plus £15 million and that could be a good deal for both clubs, wouldn’t like to see Iheanacho go as part of a deal if I’m honest... 

6 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

Benkovic and a decent U23 player on loan for the season plus £15 million and that could be a good deal for both clubs, wouldn’t like to see Iheanacho go as part of a deal if I’m honest... 

For Edouard?!

That wouldn’t be a good deal for Celtic! He’s rated in the £30-35m range and will have a number of suitors. I’m not having a £20m valuation for Benkovic given you signed him for £12m and he hasn’t kicked a ball for Leicester and I’m a big fan of Benkovic as most will know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

He had an excellent season the season before last but he regressed a lot this season and has had a very poor season. I wouldn’t even say he’s stalled this season but regressed.

A year ago I would have been waxing lyrical about him no doubt as he had a great season and I thought he’d kick on and develop further but it just hasn’t happened.

It's important to remember player development isn't linear, younger players have peaks and trough in form.

Just now, coolhandfox said:

It's important to remember player development isn't linear, younger players have peaks and trough in form.

Yeah I understand that and have seen it with plenty of players at Celtic, McGregor, Forrest, etc, etc. This looks different to me though really naive stuff that wasn’t too visible in his game prior to last season.