Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Odsonne Edouard

8 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Yeah I understand that and have seen it with plenty of players at Celtic, McGregor, Forrest, etc, etc. This looks different to me though really naive stuff that wasn’t too visible in his game prior to last season.

I think naive mistake are pretty common in young defenders, maybe reuniting with Rodgers would be good for him. 

I also think Celtic would be good for Benkovic, he career seems to be stalling here, he'd probably get more opportunities with you guys.

As for Edouard, bit like us with Chilwell, I think a lot will be down to what the player wants. 

Edited by coolhandfox

42 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

For Edouard?!

That wouldn’t be a good deal for Celtic! He’s rated in the £30-35m range and will have a number of suitors. I’m not having a £20m valuation for Benkovic given you signed him for £12m and he hasn’t kicked a ball for Leicester and I’m a big fan of Benkovic as most will know.

Interesting, we arent likely to let him go for less than 20m either.  We have no reason to, we are going to see how he develops first. 

If you are going to be like that, we should just loan him to Rangers to see how he improves lol

Edited by Lambert09

Hypothetically, if we could get back what we paid for Benko as a makeweight in a deal then we’d have to be content with that considering his injury record I think. He’s a good player, and will improve in the future I’m sure, but if he’s only going to be available for half the season then that’s no good. 

The Celtic fans seem to like him, and he seemed to enjoy his time up there, so a deal of £20-25m + Benko for Edouard could be a good move for all parties. Selling Nacho could fund that but I’m not sure I’d want to see him go. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Interesting, we arent likely to let him go for less than 20m either.  We have no reason to, we are going to see how he develops first. 

If you are going to be like that, we should just loan him to Rangers to see how he improves lol

You aren’t getting £20m for Benkovic off anyone soongiven his injury record come on. In fact Celtic probably one of the few clubs who at the present moment would take him in a heartbeat on a permanent deal given how good he was for us.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Hypothetically, if we could get back what we paid for Benko as a makeweight in a deal then we’d have to be content with that considering his injury record I think. He’s a good player, and will improve in the future I’m sure, but if he’s only going to be available for half the season then that’s no good. 

The Celtic fans seem to like him, and he seemed to enjoy his time up there, so a deal of £20-25m + Benko for Edouard could be a good move for all parties. Selling Nacho could fund that but I’m not sure I’d want to see him go. 

This sounds more realistic to me.

1 hour ago, NewquayFox said:

Benkovic and a decent U23 player on loan for the season plus £15 million and that could be a good deal for both clubs, wouldn’t like to see Iheanacho go as part of a deal if I’m honest... 

It wouldn't be enough.

Celtic want around 40m for the lad.

We signed Benkovic for 13m and he's played about 20 full games in 2 years. I would say that £30m and Benkovic would be closer to the mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

For Edouard?!

That wouldn’t be a good deal for Celtic! He’s rated in the £30-35m range and will have a number of suitors. I’m not having a £20m valuation for Benkovic given you signed him for £12m and he hasn’t kicked a ball for Leicester and I’m a big fan of Benkovic as most will know.

Yes for Edouard, I think Bristol City will make a decent offer for Benkovic (on loan for a good while there) if they get promoted, I honestly thought Benkovic was a better option than Soyuncu before Maguire left but how wrong was i. City could also be interested in the striker from Brentford (not confirmed) but I would like to see Iheanacho continue to improve under Rodgers... 

5 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

Yes for Edouard, I think Bristol City will make a decent offer for Benkovic (on loan for a good while there) if they get promoted, I honestly thought Benkovic was a better option than Soyuncu before Maguire left but how wrong was i. City could also be interested in the striker from Brentford (not confirmed) but I would like to see Iheanacho continue to improve under Rodgers... 

He only started a few games for Bristol City before the season stopped. I’d be pretty amazed if they moved to sign him permanently yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

You aren’t getting £20m for Benkovic off anyone soongiven his injury record come on. In fact Celtic probably one of the few clubs who at the present moment would take him in a heartbeat on a permanent deal given how good he was for us.

I agree but that’s not the point I’m making. We don’t need to sell him. So why would we force through a deal when his stock is relatively low? 

We know  he has potential and his wages are unlikely to be that high. So for us, it makes sense to get him game time and let his skills increase his value for us. 

What business sells off assets when their values are low? I understand your point about his present value, but he isn’t an older player who’s value is only heading down. 

So for us the smart move is a loan. Unless a reasonable bid comes in that would catch our attention... which I guess 20m would make sense. 

The only way I see him going for less, is if Brendan really does think he isn’t going to live up to that value. I’d trust his opinion on this as he’s seen more of him than anyone. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I agree but that’s not the point I’m making. We don’t need to sell him. So why would we force through a deal when his stock is relatively low? 

We know  he has potential and his wages are unlikely to be that high. So for us, it makes sense to get him game time and let his skills increase his value for us. 

What business sells off assets when their values are low? I understand your point about his present value, but he isn’t an older player who’s value is only heading down. 

So for us the smart move is a loan. Unless a reasonable bid comes in that would catch our attention... which I guess 20m would make sense. 

The only way I see him going for less, is if Brendan really does think he isn’t going to live up to that value. I’d trust his opinion on this as he’s seen more of him than

The reason in this case would be as it may allow you to sign a player you really want to add to the squad and reduce what you have to pay for him.

Given his injury issues I’d imagine if you got a decent deal, in any scenario at the moment to cut your losses and recoup what you paid for him you’d bite the hand off any prospective buyer. Speculating of getting £20m and the likes for him is fantasy given his predicament.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

He only started a few games for Bristol City before the season stopped. I’d be pretty amazed if they moved to sign him permanently yet.

...And from what I've saw and heard, he's been average at best there. He had a nightmare of a debut too. 

5 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

The only way I see him going for less, is if Brendan really does think he isn’t going to live up to that value. I’d trust his opinion on this as he’s seen more of him than anyone. 

We paid £12m for Benkovic and he has done nothing at Leicester despite an apparent very good spell at Celtic. 

Getting our money back on Benkovic would be good business, let alone a profit. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

You're correct. He's been pretty dogshit and his attitude was questioned by the manager so most unlikely. 

2 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

You're correct. He's been pretty dogshit and his attitude was questioned by the manager so most unlikely. 

I am also in Bristol and disagree entirely with your view on his time there, from what I’ve seen myself and Bristol city fans opinions!

• Like 1

Just now, TJB-fox said:

I am also in Bristol and disagree entirely with your view on his time there, from what I’ve seen myself and Bristol city fans opinions!

Well I'm a season ticket holder and as much as I've wanted him to do well

.. And how I bigged him up to the guys I go with.... he's been bitterly disappointing.  

Of course my expectations may have been too high after the rave reviews he got at Celtic and how cultured I thought he looked for us against Wigan in the cup before he got injured. 

1 hour ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Well I'm a season ticket holder and as much as I've wanted him to do well

.. And how I bigged him up to the guys I go with.... he's been bitterly disappointing.  

Of course my expectations may have been too high after the rave reviews he got at Celtic and how cultured I thought he looked for us against Wigan in the cup before he got injured. 

Leicester and Bristol city, wow, they are two clubs I could never mix. He’s only played about 5 times for them so bitterly disappointing is a bit dramatic. Not sure where you’ve seen little Lee say he’s got an attitude problem also. Even if he did say that, I doubt Brendan would have signed him again here if he had poor aptitude. Not sure Lee Johnson can be trusted either, pretty sure he suggested playing Benkovic as a cameo striker when he signed him on loan. 

Goodnight Irene. ;)

8 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Am I the only one that doesn't want to sell Benkovic... Let's see how the rest of his loan plays out at Bristol City first?

No, I think were writing him off too soon, I've not seen a centre back with his ability to pass and bring the ball forward, he's still young but he wouldn't be the first player to suffer early injuries and then go on to have a decent career.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I thought it was really telling that Rodgers worked with him at Celtic, seemed to like him at Celtic and still didn't think he was ready to get even a glance at Premier League football. 

Fuchs preferred at CB said a lot for me. 

I know it's vogue on FT to assume managers are idiots if they don't play young players because clearly our young players are all the next World class wonder kids but the reality tends to be more boring. 

They're not picked for a reason. 

It's rare you really get a Kramaric situation where someone leaves and does better elsewhere but, let's be honest, he was better suited to Hoffenheim and the Bundesliga, he was never getting past Vardy and he didn't suit our style. 

Benkovic's injuries in that 2nd part of the 2018/19 season before Rodgers binned Celtic off has really stalled his career. I think he faced an uphill battle of establishing himself here anyway and even when we didn't get a Maguire replacement and allowed Soyuncu to develop in to one of the most promising defenders in the league it was bleak for Benkovic. We signed him purely because we couldn't believe he was available for only £13m but as soon as Freiburg agreed to sell us Soyuncu for a fairly modest fee as well it was a case of one of them being at risk of a wrong move and I think that'll be the case with Benkovic.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I thought it was really telling that Rodgers worked with him at Celtic, seemed to like him at Celtic and still didn't think he was ready to get even a glance at Premier League football. 

Fuchs preferred at CB said a lot for me. 

I know it's vogue on FT to assume managers are idiots if they don't play young players because clearly our young players are all the next World class wonder kids but the reality tends to be more boring. 

They're not picked for a reason. 

It's rare you really get a Kramaric situation where someone leaves and does better elsewhere but, let's be honest, he was better suited to Hoffenheim and the Bundesliga, he was never getting past Vardy and he didn't suit our style. 

That is true, I'm not going to question Rodgers' decision there, I just think that it is very possible he can still offer us something. Not being able to establish himself in the squad in 6 months isn't a permanent indictment on his ability imo.