Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brighton - Post Match Thread - 0-0.

3 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

They were unmotivated and unimaginative in equal measure. It was the sleepiest I've seen a Leicester side in a long time, and they'd rightly deserve a rocket for their lack of commitment. I'm not sure it'd be right for Rodgers to administer it, though, seeing as his flashes of inspiration and unflinching belief in a purposeless and predictable slow passing game are an even bigger problem.

As the season progresses, I find myself wondering more and more what his ideal of football is. Maybe he genuinely thinks you achieve high-velocity passing football via full backs bombing up to the halfway line, stopping and then restarting play from 25 yards back, ad infinitum. Or playing twenty passes with no sort of intensity or attacking drive whatsoever in order to get absolutely nowhere, and without pulling a single opposition player out of their station. Not to mention the number of times we play ourselves into a cul-de-sac and have to go long anyway, albeit in desperation.

For the second game running the entire midfield has looked out of sorts, and the problem doesn't seem to be which exact formation we play, or which combination of wingers we field. There's no cutting edge, and while you'd be right to worry for the form of Maddison, Perez, Youri etc., you have to wonder if we can simplify things to 'it's this guy's fault', or 'oh no, all of our creative players have become ****'.

We can't blame the shut-down either because things had been going this way up until the Villa. The exact combination of players isn't the problem, it's the insistence on a brand of football which is often quickly sussed unless you have the quality to make it unpredictable. And while we clearly have a very strong squad, it's not at that level. So if Rodgers wants to make this work now (instead of after a flurry of Congerton-inspired newbies in the summer) there is going to have to be a rethink. And some serious b******ings.

Absolutely. Thank you

I think we are going to struggle here to keep top four. I would’ve expected four points from these two games to sure it up. I can see Man U having the odd off game but not Wolves. I see them closing this gap down before the games against United and Spurs and that’s where we fall off. No way we hold our nerve against both of those with the pressure on. A top 6 finish was the aim before the start of the season but ending up 5th or 6th will be a real blow to the season we had up and until Christmas. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Dreadful. And along with that performance go any hopes of a top four finish.

The excuses of long lay offs are feeble ones, every team is in the same boat. The downturn in form is not a result of the break, we’ve been in poor form for months, similar to that dreadful run we endured under Pearson in the Watford play off season. Whatever spark was present during the eight game winning streak is gone. The speed of play, the counter attacking ability, the confidence all of it gone. We’ve gone from being one of the deadliest teams in the league to one of the tamest. 

That performance was dire, I can understand the rotation of players, but surely is Praet is fit enough to be on the bench, he is fit enough to start? Mendy and N’didi do not work together, individually they may not have had bad games, but as a pair they don’t work. Maddison I’m not sure where he was playing, and Kalechi was just running around like a headless chicken. The play was so painfully obvious, backwards sideways smash it up to Vardy, and then repeat. 

Whatever happened in those 8 games we simply HAVE to find again. You can’t spend all of this time in the top four to just throw it away, because we will do. We’ve had an absolutely golden opportunity to get six points from these two games, both sides are involved in a relegation fight, we should absolutely be beating them. 

Our run in is arguably against better teams bar Bournemouth (and we are usually poor against them). Play like this and we will limp to the finish line.

We have two horrible names to finish on, and in the current predicament we won’t be able to beat Spurs or United. It is absolutely vital we beat Everton, otherwise that will be it, mathematically maybe not, but realistically yes.  

It’s a terrible shame how things are unfolding, but I just can’t see how this form will turn, we don’t have enough individual talent to rely on to drag us over the finish line, we must do it collectively, and so far there is no evidence we are a cohesive unit anymore. 

Thank you Sir. Absolutely

4 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

We need more tielemans type midfielders incase hes out of form and we need a top class left footed winger. Any less and we aren't doing shit in europe

For £40m or whatever it was you need to get the manager to tell him to sort out his form instead of bringing in players to cover for him. A £40m midfielder you expect to be consistent for 90% of the season.

Edited by henrik_62

That game was so flat I don’t really care about the non penalty, just wanted the game to end really lol 

Dont know if it’s our form or the games in general, but I’m so unmotivated for football at the moment. 

Was always going to be different but thought I’d be more up for it than I am, knowing Europe is at stake.

Edited by TheUltimateWinner
  • Like 1

Garbage. Slow.  Lacking invention. We're not relegation fodder but we look nowhere near a team that deserves to be in Europe at the minute. That first half was as poor as I've seen. The 2nd half we had a lot of ball and did nothing with it. I don't remember one clear cut chance. We're badly lacking quality up top. Ricardo can be the difference in the close games, much like Kante turned losses into draws and draws into wins.

I feel like we're not a million miles away. We clearly have the capacity to dominate the opposition, but we're lacking ruthless top quality players in the final third that can turn that domination into goals.

Just now, Poznan34 said:

Really really bad. No idea how Rodgers can watch that first half, with Barnes, Youri, Perez, Praet, Albrighton on the bench, and not make a sub until 70 mins - 3/4 of the way through the match! 

This baffled me most. We saw his notepad at like 50 minutes, it indicated the formation and players, which we didn't make until like 20 minutes after the fact. Why?

We could have played for 4 hours with that starting lineup and barely created a single chance.

I don't think many of the players were at fault, save a lack of intensity. Evans and Soyuncu must have took 6-7 touches at times before moving the ball - we just didn't move it quick enough to break them down, as has been usual for us since Christmas.

The game plan was horrendous, to put it simply. At the weekend he says the full backs were too high in the first half, so today he goes and plays Chilwell as essentially a winger. That pushed Gray inside where he couldn't get the ball, all he did was get in Maddison's way. Chilwell being so high meant Ndidi was constantly at left back, which meant we had no midfield. Just shocking decision making in terms of a shape.

Subs were too late and Brighton took the sting out of any concerted attempt we had to create chances.

Same issues as before lockdown, Villa game aside. It is Puel football because we aren't moving the ball quick enough and are positionally woeful in wide areas.

Positives? Thought Gray was decent. Ndidi better than Saturday. Kasper with a good save. Rest below average or worse

• Like 2

1 minute ago, henrik_62 said:

The biggest thing that done my head in watching that is the last ten minutes there is no more sense of urgency than there is in the first minute, whatever happened to throwing in the kitchen sink to try and win the game.

Whatever happens now I think we’ve done it. Wolves looked far superior in their game. A massive turn around is needed... but we’ve got Everton next, no chance of us picking anything up there. 

21 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I am absolutely ****ing fuming with that!

Absolutely useless. We are bottling it and I think we will be lucky to get top 4 now. I can’t see us winning more than 2 games. Our best hope is for Utd to drop a few points and we fall over the line because we are Sh*t!

Mendy should never play for us again , absolute junk. He doesn’t make any intelligent passes, no energy..he’s just ‘there’ . Offers absolutely nothing , we will never get anywhere with him in the team.

Maddison should either be in his position or on the bench , he is useless on the wing.

Gray was fantastic today I think, really did well in awful circumstances, I was disgusted he got brought off just when BR finally got in finger out in a*se and brought on Barnes and Youri.

You could see how good YT and Barnes both were when they came on, absolutely controlled the game and we looked good the last 20 mins, but it was too little too late.

BR needs to sort it out, since he’s got his payrise, he’s lost his focus and his ambition. He has absolute no clue. Terrible starting line up, took to long to change it and very strange to bring Perez on , straight after rather than as a 3 swap. If your going to take him off why wait and kill the flow again 2 mins later? Just stupid all round. I like his personality and man management and that’s why he’s popular but his tactics are very questionable abs he’s cost us the game today.

I will keep repeating myself but the only way we give ourselves a chance to get top 4 is by playing our BEST team.

Kasper

Justin Evans Soyuncu Chillwell

YT Ndidi

Maddison

Gray Vardy Barnes

That spine has to play. I don’t care about rotating and fitness, I’d rather we lose because they are over tired than by putting a team out that I know pre game has no chance of winning! I’m ****ing sick of it, we are throwing away the best chance we will ever get of top 4!

Wtf were you watching?😂 Gray had very little influence on the game. It was a standard performance for him when he starts. He’s only effective as a sub.

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

Take nothing away from what we've done to get 3rd but a big factor in us being 3rd is everyone else has been shit.

I don't even think we're that good at keeping the ball, we get closed down so easily and to become this 'possession based team' some people yern for we need to find space, other teams do it - even then I find the style boring but atleast its effective for them.

Respectfully disagree.

You make it sound as we had been playing all season as we are now, but that others were simply playing even worse. Reality is that we got to second place (before slipping to third place) playing absolutely brilliant football. For some reason, it's gone tits up but that's why it's a season. You are rewarded/punished over 38 games.

• Like 2