Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

11 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The people who haven't been following the rules will continue not to do so. The people who have been following them will now be punished.

Exactly my thoughts.

This doesnt sit right with me, I was pro lockdown, but on a national basis, the country should be a we all in this together.

So what happens when nothing changes, it carries on just leicester for months and months? it will become a complete ghetto wasteland.

Also they wasted 2 weeks, still for some reason need 4 days to close schools (which will be the biggest spread).  They so slow.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

I still maintain the cause of the outbreak is predominately due to (local?) cultural reasons. Deprivation and poverty is also blamed but there are other areas of the city which have equally low social- economic groups. Official studies in recent years show areas such as Stocking Farm, Mowmacre Hill, parts of New Parks and Braunstone also have some of the highest levels of poverty.

It seems Covid does affect black/Asian folk disproportionately more, but why three times higher in Leicester than the next highest city?

Community leaders in those areas affected, need to have some open and honest discussions in the coming days

Feels like we’ve been gone back 2 months, what a ****ing shit show.

I was genuinely excited about a haircut, but I really feel for small businesses that were opening back up. The blurred lines piss me off too. 

I can get a chippy if I want but can’t get a phone screen fixed. 

3 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

So they’ll release a map tomorrow when people are off out and about on their daily travels and spreading the disease. Why not just release it now with all the information so we know what’s going on. Don’t give us half a story. Absolute morons. 

Exactly, you can't say "we're locking Leicester down" and keep switching between Leicester and Leicestershire. Just publish any postcodes with LE or certain LE numbers are locked down for 2 weeks rather than this grey area crap

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

So they’ll release a map tomorrow when people are off out and about on their daily travels and spreading the disease. Why not just release it now with all the information so we know what’s going on. Don’t give us half a story. Absolute morons. 

Some of the logistics are insane. 

This is a problem created by the public and compounded by the government. 

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

We all knew we had some proper morons in this country, this pandemic has really highlighted that. 

But they’ll escape any form or punishment and quite possibly avoid getting the disease. But the local businesses will suffer and poor old Doris will get Corona when she pops to the shop for her cat food and die. 

1 minute ago, Wrighty22 said:

But they’ll escape any form or punishment and quite possibly avoid getting the disease. But the local businesses will suffer and poor old Doris will get Corona when she pops to the shop for her cat food and die. 

Pretty much, sadly someone else suffers from their complete lack of a brain, yet if they were to get ill the blame is passed and they carry on.

2 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

But why, after weeks and weeks of lockdown, have we now got three times the infections in Leicester, compared to the next highest city?

People gathering when they shouldn't, outbreaks in factories, Eid celebrations, BLM protests and various other factors.

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

(Not asking for an answer here) But how has Leicester alone got such an increase? There were by far larger BLM protests elsewhere in the country. Theres no beach here to sit on either. There are larger meat factories where temperatures are kept low - which is unlike McVities. 

Equally if we focus it on demographics and the knock-on’s of religion. How come cities and town such as Bradford or Luton not suffered a similar rise? 

Luck? Randomness? Exactly the same events don't happen every day in every city. 

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Luck? Randomness? Exactly the same events don't happen every day in every city. 

There will be a spark somewhere to an event no doubt - that’s the whole aim of track and trace. 

However I can’t help feeling the shock fact of Leicester having 10% of the country’s infections is down to an increased level of testing. The stats suggest steady levels and the peak has passed - obvs you’d like to think govt and science have more up to date data. 

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Pretty much, sadly someone else suffers from their complete lack of a brain, yet if they were to get ill the blame is passed and they carry on.

People gathering when they shouldn't, outbreaks in factories, Eid celebrations, BLM protests and various other factors.

It was a rhetorical observation, I agree with your general points.

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

(Not asking for an answer here or trying to pin this) But how has Leicester alone got such an increase? There were by far larger BLM protests elsewhere in the country. Theres no beach here to sit on either. There are larger meat factories where temperatures are kept low - which is unlike McVities (and Samworth Brothers would be more of an ambient temperature) 

Equally if we focus it on demographics and the knock-on’s of religion. How come cities and town such as Bradford or Luton not suffered a similar rise? 

Genuinely don't know tbh. I'd assume a bit of misfortune paired with some of the issues mentioned.

At a guess I'd suggest we had infections in a few key spots that were asymptomatic and led to spread through factories and a few shops, Sainsburys etc. Then spread to homes and as people hear about Gill down the road who has had it, others phone for tests and worry.

Potentially we had a slightly higher base which was amplified via Eid celebrations and reopening of work places in the past month, all of which were ignored until now. Snowball effect basically 

1 hour ago, fox in the sox said:

The figures must be bad for this to be happening. Obviously Soulsby wants business in the city to get back to normal but I agree he has been very irresponsible today.

I think he tried to force the governments hand by publically going against their will.

I can understand why he tried, this could destroy the city economically for decades.

Also the reason he said they not so bad, check here.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/29/36-cities-counties-covid-19-cases-rising-risking-local-lockdowns/

There is other regions that are "not much better", look at kent which is way worse than Leicester, questions to be asked as to why we the only area, and even why there isnt a new national lockdown.

Schools shouldnt have been reopened either.

People from Germany are wondering why we locked down an entire city and not just the specific localised areas.  I think the obvious answer to that is because of BLM.

Edited by Chrysalis

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

(Not asking for an answer here or trying to pin this) But how has Leicester alone got such an increase? There were by far larger BLM protests elsewhere in the country. Theres no beach here to sit on either. There are larger meat factories where temperatures are kept low - which is unlike McVities (and Samworth Brothers would be more of an ambient temperature) 

This is exactly the question we should be asking. It seems very easy to blame BLM, eid, different community groups etc. But like you said, these events happened everywhere. Yet, there doesn’t seem to be a spike. I think it’s foolish to just chuck our hats on the obvious reasons here. These figures have come from the testing system outside the hospital (or at least the vast majority) so it’s got to be looked at much deeper. Sometimes it’s easier for people to blame something obvious but if we don’t look deeper, this thing will keep coming back and not just in Leicester, in the country at large.