Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Everything is always somebody else's fault these days.

Sad but so very true. 

We increasingly live in a blame, name and shame culture fostered by those (notably in social media, pressure groups etc) who hail being offended as some kind of virtue.

Far too many people nowadays want - and are encouraged to want - influence without responsibility and accountability.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Sad but so very true. 

We increasingly live in a blame, name and shame culture fostered by those (notably in social media, pressure groups etc) who hail being offended as some kind of virtue.

Far too many people nowadays want - and are encouraged to want - influence without responsibility and accountability.

Not really a new phenomenon - Acton had it right about power corrupting way back when.

It's just that social media is acting as a force multiplier these days IMO, which makes it appear more apparent.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is an experiment. How many people will comply with a local lockdown, how effective will it be? This will answer questions for government policy going forward.

900 cases does seem like a lot though however if hospital admissions aren't rising then there might be something else going on.

I guess given what's happened so far that it's better to be safe than sorry.

Edit: I've just seen that children have been hit badly in this outbreak, who are usually asymptomatic but still contagious, so that may explain the low hospital rate. It does raise the question though that surely this would be seen anywhere where there's an increased emphasis on testing?

Edited by Lionator

Still don't understand why announcements are drip-fed late at night either. 

Gavin Williamson said all schools will reopen by September. Barely hours later Leicester's are being shut with no sign of a time line etc. 

The comms by this government are shocking. Hancock says 9pm not the best time to announce a lockdown yet it was announced last night and there's still further details (like the all-important map) to come. I totally get people have to take ownership and accountability but the government also don't help themselves at times like this. 

23 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Edit: I've just seen that children have been hit badly in this outbreak, who are usually asymptomatic but still contagious, so that may explain the low hospital rate. It does raise the question though that surely this would be seen anywhere where there's an increased emphasis on testing?

Children not being effected has driven the government to threaten parents with fines if their kids are not in school in September. 

I wonder if that will be rethought given that one decision contradicts the other. 

Just now, Pliskin said:

This is going to be going on for a few years I think. It’s the start of modern day life grinding to a halt. I am genuinely starting to worry about what the next few years will hold. 

The Chinese have got a workable vaccine and we (Oxford) and America aren't too far behind, this will all be over early next year. Please dont catastrophise, you'll just make yourself stressed.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Working day upon us and still no official boundary release 

Laughable. Can't get my head around why they'd take so long to release a statement and then delay it til late at night without and clarification of exactly what areas are impacted.

Our useless slimey Conservative MP has also admitted he hasn't got the first clue. Surely this information should be ready at the time of release.

Edited by pds

31 minutes ago, stix said:

Wife just sent me this screenshot. Sorry, I have no context for it at the minute. 

31585936-0F8A-4913-9D90-33E77EA0288C.jpeg

See this to me i confusing. I imagine a lot of people in Oadby or Glenfield thinking it's ok to carry on as normal. 

4 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

See this to me i confusing. I imagine a lot of people in Oadby or Glenfield thinking it's ok to carry on as normal. 

That's just the official city limits with the graphic pointing at suburban towns / villages that were mentioned. 

I don't think it's the official zone, just itv mocking up a graphic as an idea. 

You know I always pictured paramilitary police and Berlin 1961 style road blocks either side of the blue bridge, where Stonesby Avenue meets Aylestone Lane.

I just thought it would be to keep us urchins from the Saff out of Wigston.

:whistle:

All this will do is screw up the legit businesses in Leicester. How do the government propose to police a lockdown in Leicester without putting roadblocks up and bringing the army in, what’s to stop people just travelling 10 miles down the road. How are we supposed to play our home games, or will we have to play at a neutral ground which everyone said was unfair on the teams a few months back. I notice it’s a few days after the game cup game, so at least that competition can carry on!

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I really wish people would stop parroting this shit before it just turns in to some commonly accepted, straight up racist rhetoric. 

There were protests all over the world. In the US, they had massive BLM protests in a lot of major black communities and massive anti lockdown, conspiracy theory protests in lots of MAGA communities and where are they getting spikes? Yup, the red states. 

Statistically, it would be naive to ignore the demographic of the locations with spikes in cases, of course it would. But you've got to look at cultural components like, for example, we've got more over crowding and multi generational occupancy in those postcodes. Yeah, some of that is just cultural, almost all Asian cultures take more direct responsibility for their older generations than we do. 

More population density, higher levels of occupancy per household, obviously going to be more risk of spread and more cases. 

Other people have pointed out that there's been more testing in Leicester than elsewhere. What are the numbers of tests on the population from one demographic to another, are the BAME population more likely to get tested? Are white British or white European residents less likely to go get tested if they're experiencing symptoms? Some of this shit we might never know, certainly not without extensive survey. 

One thing we DO know is that simply blaming ethnic minorities for not taking lockdown seriously or not socially distancing and pretending that all white people are angels is just plain wrong. 

Vast majority of people I've seen wearing masks to go shopping, Asian. Vast majority of people round the world refusing to wear masks for petty bullshit reasons? White. 

The 5G conspiracy theorists tearing down masts? Whites. The anti lockdown protesters crying about gyms, pubs, haircuts and invasions of freedoms? Whites. The aforementioned groups of youths getting shit faced blaring out their music having all day picnics in the park with their mates? Whites. Find yourself a picture of Bournemouth, Brighton, Devon, Skeggy, wherever, beaches full of retard crowds? Yup, whites. 

And that's not to say there AREN'T idiots from ethnic minorities being wildly irresponsible, of course there will be, it's just the colour of their skin or their culture isn't the thing that all lockdown idiots have in common. What they DO all have in common is a massively ineffective government that have been sending mixed and confusing messages for months, have offered dreadful leadership throughout, have never lead by example. 

We've a prime minister who bragged about shaking hands, then got sick. Who even afterwards couldn't consistently offer sensible direction, whose staff openly take the piss out of the lockdown rules. Because ultimately they don't want it, they don't want us indoors, they want us outside spending. 

Yeah, people need to individually show more responsibility and common sense but that doesn't absolve the government and blaming minorities before you blame your prime minister is a fast track to exposing yourself for what you are. 

Edit: really didn't mean to make this look like it was all aimed directly at UniFox21, sorry kid lol

But I'm incredibly busy and racism's just easier.

I mean, look at all those WORDS you've written

• Haha 1