Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

25 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

When it comes to investment from King Power and the future ambition of the club, our fanbase will never agree.

You'll always have the "we should be so thankful" brigade who want a glass ceiling. They think the past level of the club should dictate the future and they're happy with their lot. They will defend their position as realism. Their loyalty to the owners and King Power is undying and has been forged through years of buying into narratives that the club could never have had any success for the rest of time without the current ownership.

Then you have those who feel if you're not pushing to move forward you're going backwards. They buy into ambition and they see the opportunity to become something consistently greater than the kind of club Leicester City has traditionally been. They are grateful for what the owners have done for the club but feel it does not make them immune to criticism and they're hungry for the club to have more success. They will objectively look at data and financial figures and make observations that question based upon that.

Neither group will ever agree and neither group can claim to be fully right. But to hear people question the value/worth of other fans for saying that IF King Power are not in a position to continue investment in the club then it might be time for the next party who can is madness! That if the current owners couldn't continue to invest at the appropriate level you'd be happy to continue with under-investment in our club because of past history?!

Before anyone struggles to grasp what I'm saying here, I'll be really clear: I do not want our owners to leave, but IF it becomes clear they can no longer invest at the level needed then it MIGHT be time to think about IF they are still the right owners for the club.

Honestly, I'd question anyone who doubts our current owners.

How many other clubs do you think have better owners?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

I'd be willing to bet anyone wanting a change of ownership doesn’t have a job, signed on straight after finishing school and has more than 5 children by a minimum of 3 different partners. They probably drive an 02 Nissan micra and have even less teeth than brain cells. 

Scum bags then in other words that know FA about football.... 

4 hours ago, adam95581 said:

We’re operating within our means. I can’t believe people are even questioning the way the club is run. 

For a club of our size, pumping money into the team doesn’t equal success. Just look at Everton and West Ham - they’re so badly run, spend loads most years and have very little to show for it. Equally, we’re not on the same scale as Chelsea, Man City etc. 

I’d much rather than we had a strategy and stuck to it - e.g. Dortmund, even Liverpool to some extent. They buy players young / from less glamorous sides and gamble that they can make it (Gomez, Robinson etc)

Trust the process. 

I am just pointing out they not putting money into the club anymore, and the sponsorship deal I think if it wasn't king power would have been replaced with something better.  I am not expecting them to inject cash like crazy, I just want a fairer sponsorship deal.

3 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

I just can't see this being the case, given Vichai wasn't really that 'hands-on' from what we know of the structure at the top. At the end of the day it is Whelan and Rudkin's job to look after the club - Whelan has significantly reduced her role at KPI (is now officially just advisor to Top), so they are running the ship in Leicester.

Whether it's a passion project or not, the club is almost wholly self sufficient now, they wiped debts and bought the ground a long time ago now. They've loaned us money for Seagrave and Top seems committed as ever to sorting the stadium, so I really can't see there being an issue there.

There really isn't a shortage of funds. We won't spend as much as usual this summer I grant you, but it's nothing to worry about.

Rodgers is just frustrated because the club is taking its time getting the deals done. Which has to be the way to go when you're a bit tighter on funds because if that's the difference between signing 3 overpriced players or 5 good value players, then it's probably worth waiting in these conditions.

Rodgers is a football manager, not the director of football. His job is to work with the players he's got and maximise their performance first and foremost. The signings will come.

Has Top or Susan came out saying there is plenty of funds? because otherwise I wonder how you know this, the accounts don't say this.

Rodgers frustration is very understandable, season prep is very important, and making a manager wait until the last minute or even failing to back him at all isn't the best way to go about things.  It is the main reason I backed out of calling for his head end of last season, because I feel he hasn't been adequately backed.  The club really needs to get out of the habit of doing late deals, if it means we pay more for less players so be it.

Also until a deal is signed it is nothing, a 95% done deal can fail, so plans mean nothing, only signings do.  It is a results business and that goes up to the director level as well.

3 hours ago, l444ry said:

With respect, it is the point. People can whinge about coughing up £70 to secure a season ticket and equate that with a doughnut or come up with some meaningless £4 million figure shirt sponsorship and ignore the giant strides this club has taken over the last decade. Bit like populism, simple answers to complex issues. Reminds me of the experts that moan after winning 2-0 that if only they'd done what they think it would have been 6-0.

I take a different view, if someone has a good year or two does that mean you then exempt them from further scrutiny?  A suppose a bit like allowing Claudio to relegate us and then not fire him even then because he won us a title.  I don't ignore the strides we have made, they are great strides, but it doesn't excuse the owners from scrutiny.

Also no this post does not mean I want top gone, I don't think anyone in this thread has said that, I think we heading into the space of only thinking of extremes again where if you not patting his back it must mean you want him gone, that is not the case.  There is a in between.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Unpopular opinion or whatever; I find the idolisation of owners or ‘money men’ within football plain weird. 

This isn’t a dig necessarily at LCFC because there are plenty of other examples about. 

When I look at a rival club, I look at their players, their stadium, their manager.  

Owners are all in it for the same goal. Financial benefits or coverage for their brand. The days of a club owned by an actual fan have gone 

A fair general assessment of the "money men" within football, but if you can't see that our idolisation goes a touch further than that, I pity you for your cynicism. 

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

And as I’ve explained elsewhere - part of modern day scouting is being aware of contractural details and the realistic possibility of signing such a player. 

Any scout could say sign the worlds best players but there has to be a realism alongside it. In the last three windows, we’ve had difficulties finding a centre back whose good enough - scouting team has to take some flak for that. 

The club before worked wonders where eyeing up players with 18 months or less on their contracts to take advantage.

Maybe you right and the targets are over ambitious, but it is speculation.  I would be surprised if the ambition of Rodgers and his scout was not agreed with the club before Rodgers took the job, so the club would have known what they were taking on if they did their due diligence correctly.

Based on the evidence in front of me however I believe it's more likely the issues are financial.

34 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I was just going to ask you if you were an only child with rich, divorced parents, but then I decided to give you a bit more credit.

I'll say you've not done a totally awful job of making it seem as though backing the owners or wanting them gone are equally valid viewpoints, but I have to say it appears as though you either have a very short memory, are extremely short-sighted, or have completely lost all perspective.

I don't know how long you've been a City fan, but I grew up watching us yo-yoing between the top two divisions and struggling in the Championship. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought we'd be in anything remotely like the position we find ourselves in now, and I'm an optimistic person. As if winning a PL title wasn't enough (saying that still doesn't seem right. I don't think it will ever really sink in at this point), we've quickly put together another all-time great Leicester side that's heading into Europe again and getting ready to move into a £100m state-of-the-art, envy-of-the-nation training ground. Not to mention the plans to expand the stadium. If Carlsberg did football club owners, they wouldn't be half as good as ours.

Do you not see any risk in a change of ownership? Do you think that if the owners sold the club, the buyers would automatically be better? If you do, I've got bad news. The likelihood that new owners would be worse than the current ones are so strong that we might as well call it a dead certainty. Just have a look around. How many clubs do you think have better owners than us? How many clubs have owners that the fans can't stand?

The owners have so much credit built up, they would have to do a whole lot of fuching up before I even entertained the idea of wanting rid.

I think you have just proven his point.

He said there are those that look at our previous level of success, see the title win as something way above our standing, and as a result we should never question the ownership of the club and its unreasonable to have ambition.   I look at your reply word for word, and it fits with what he described, basically a sort of be grateful for what we got and now we accept whatever we get sort of thing.

I also accept that both view points are not necessarily right or wrong they just different points of view, but to be absolutely clear here I am personally not asking for a change of owners, not even close to it, my posts have been about trying to explain we not sitting on a pot of money, KP are not investing, and that I think the sponsorship deal needs to be competitive, not at championship level.  I am fine with the club been expected to run on its own revenue.  I definitely think there is nothing wrong with ambition though, some people seem to think social mobility shouldn't be a thing in football, that the historically big clubs should stay at the top and the smaller clubs should stay below them, I am not one of those people, I feel there should be a constant strive for improvement.

Also most of the credit was built up under Vichai.

Also some points were made comparing us to Arsenal, and they are interesting, Arsenal have ended up been crippled by their new stadium, such a huge club and struggling financially.  I really hope this training ground doesn't cripple us in the same way.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I was just going to ask you if you were an only child with rich, divorced parents, but then I decided to give you a bit more credit.

I'll say you've not done a totally awful job of making it seem as though backing the owners or wanting them gone are equally valid viewpoints, but I have to say it appears as though you either have a very short memory, are extremely short-sighted, or have completely lost all perspective.

I don't know how long you've been a City fan, but I grew up watching us yo-yoing between the top two divisions and struggling in the Championship. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought we'd be in anything remotely like the position we find ourselves in now, and I'm an optimistic person. As if winning a PL title wasn't enough (saying that still doesn't seem right. I don't think it will ever really sink in at this point), we've quickly put together another all-time great Leicester side that's heading into Europe again and getting ready to move into a £100m state-of-the-art, envy-of-the-nation training ground. Not to mention the plans to expand the stadium. If Carlsberg did football club owners, they wouldn't be half as good as ours.

Do you not see any risk in a change of ownership? Do you think that if the owners sold the club, the buyers would automatically be better? If you do, I've got bad news. The likelihood that new owners would be worse than the current ones are so strong that we might as well call it a dead certainty. Just have a look around. How many clubs do you think have better owners than us? How many clubs have owners that the fans can't stand?

The owners have so much credit built up, they would have to do a whole lot of fuching up before I even entertained the idea of wanting rid.

You seem to have mistaken me for someone who wants the owners out and I’m just wondering how when I made it explicitly clear I didn’t?

For someone who has written pretty articulately (despite the petulant attempt at an insult in your opening gambit), I’m surprised you have missed the point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

He said there are those that look at our previous level of success, see the title win as something way above our standing, and as a result we should never question the ownership of the club and its unreasonable to have ambition.   I look at your reply word for word, and it fits with what he described, basically a sort of be grateful for what we got and now we accept whatever we get sort of thing.

I also accept that both view points are not necessarily right or wrong they just different points of view, but to be absolutely clear here I am personally not asking for a change of owners, not even close to it, my posts have been about trying to explain we not sitting on a pot of money, KP are not investing, and that I think the sponsorship deal needs to be competitive, not at championship level.  I am fine with the club been expected to run on its own revenue.  I definitely think there is nothing wrong with ambition though, some people seem to think social mobility shouldn't be a thing in football, that the historically big clubs should stay at the top and the smaller clubs should stay below them, I am not one of those people, I feel there should be a constant strive for improvement.

Hallelujah! Someone can read a post that raises a potential future scenario (the owners not being able to fund the level of ambition we might have as a club) and respond with something other than “OMG you want our owners out, what is wrong with you?” - despite me having explicitly said I don’t subscribe to that view right now.

Thank you!

Sadly though I don't see a compromise of opinions happening, and I do get the feeling that many have in regards to the get out of jail free cards, the title win was a huge achievement and we could be where forest are struggling to even get in this league.  So I do respect the other side of the argument, all I ask is people respect my opinion as well. :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Also some points were made comparing us to Arsenal, and they are interesting, Arsenal have ended up been crippled by their new stadium, such a huge club and struggling financially.  I really hope this training ground doesn't cripple us in the same way.

I'm not sure I have.

I don't believe the ownership of the club should never be questioned, I just think they've done so much for the club in the relatively short period they've been here that it seems gauche to ask for more.

I don't think ambition comes into it. I think we're in safe hands. I think we have an extremely successful and sustainable model that is the platform we need to push on from. I believe we are improving, and only have to carry on as we are and be patient for more success.

Well, of course most of the credit was built up under Vichai - he was chairman for 8 years. Top hasn't had 2 yet.

I think we're a much better-run club than Arsenal. I don't believe we'll be crippled by the training ground.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Hallelujah! Someone can read a post that raises a potential future scenario (the owners not being able to fund the level of ambition we might have as a club) and respond with something other than “OMG you want our owners out, what is wrong with you?” - despite me having explicitly said I don’t subscribe to that view right now.

Thank you!

Sometimes ,there are obvious things that are better not said, or delivered in a Football forum,when that Club is delivering its best period in its history..

This forum in the last 6 years,has hit its lowest in cynicism, immature campaign and agendas and each season more knobheads who just want to Jump on the negative-train.

Football is for its fans..win,lose or draw....an Escape from Everyday life, we all know the ups & downs our own lives present....we forget a Football Club & its Staff have their own successes,achievements,und forward spirals...but on match day,like going to the theater,

we Hope to Enjoy and be entertained by both the negative & positives  Twists & turns "during the season". 

Its sitting in and experiencing within that moment,even playing with that seasons possible future permatations & connotations,

but trying to Physco analyse A clubs future Business paths,when its delivering, just doesn't interest me....

By all means be an happy clapper ,or a Teams playing style & performances heaviest critic.....

but Football fans want to follow the team,believing their Voice could make a difference each and every game ( f**k covid  Empty terraces)...off field Wear & tear is an interesting Off Beat subject, but fans cant change a damn Thing.. Its an Area a fan can only or just observe...

One thing this Clubs forum has been  missing for sometime is an "Happy smiling witty demure". On  all levels (.knee Jerk emotions are Funny so they dont count)

We seem to be Chasing to be Top of the Top cynical ,negative Reporting pundit.

We seem to have forgot how to support,und encourage our individual players,our squad our present successful manager....

A Football season or seasons are about achievement or just missing out....Its Sporting life....

This forum in the clubs Historical best period, collapses,implodes and goes into meltdown.....

I mean we have become worse than the scousers,for our whining, moaning spitefull ,longtem fans Posting remarks..

Now we are putting a question on the table that at present is totally unfitting and irrelevant,to how we support für Club at this precise Moment in time...!!!

Did the fans create the Football ethos,That by 2020 he can Evolve into a miserable, cynical, Spielfilm yeti is game, incompetent critic,who Loves nothing more than making up Stories

Like the Media types,who Football fans by default, hate & distrust und despise

I for one..just Despair in modern Mans/fans further developement....

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

This place has really turned to shite. We have the best owners in football, who have delivered unthinkable success. Some of the rubbish on here makes it sound like we’re owned by Mike Ashley.

People questioning if Top still cares or if it was all Vichai’s vision and he’s lost interest 🤯. The reason they bought the club was because Top watched us at Wembley in the 1997 league cup final and supported us ever since.

@mods please find a way to get this forum back to the way things were before 15/16. 

Edited by NeilLCFC
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Thank you!

No. Hallelujah, someone agrees with you. 

It's an interesting and provocative theory you're laying out, but it's comical how you divide the opinion, that you have created and then you assume your opinion has fans divided into two groups. 

Allow me to make sweeping assumptions, based upon no evidence at all, as well.

At this moment in time, the majority of LCFC fans really don't care about the state of KP finances and the two opposing groups, you've created, of are shallow in their representation. 

Any post that has an overall theme of, 'this is my opinion, but I don't want it to happen', is always ripe for ridicule.

If it's your opinion, then back it up with substance and agree with it, don't throw it away.

I'd say, the realities of your future ambition for the club and the realities of the owners future ambitions for the club are very different.

That doesn't make you a bigger fan or a better potential owner.

I propose you create an executive summary and get it through to LCFC / King Power, see if your ambition can get you the answers you crave. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Thank you!

This may or may not be true. If it is then I firmly believe Top and Co would do the right thing for the club. 

On the other hand you speak about the ambition of the club but that only exists because of King power

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

A fair general assessment of the "money men" within football, but if you can't see that our idolisation goes a touch further than that, I pity you for your cynicism. 

It’s not individual to ourselves. It’s similar at Wolves or Villa as well. 

Where I honestly think our owners do stand out is their civic duty in the city which they have no reason to do but equally do other clubs do it? In our bubble as Leicester fans, I simply don’t know enough about other clubs to say. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NeilLCFC said:

This place has really turned to shite. We have the best owners in football, who have delivered unthinkable success. Some of the rubbish on here makes it sound like we’re owned by Mike Ashley.

People questioning if Top still cares or if it was all Vichai’s vision and he’s lost interest 🤯. The reason they bought the club was because Top watched us at Wembley in the 1997 league cup final and supported us ever since.

@mods please find a way to get this forum back to the way things were before 15/16. 

I mean I like the owners but the line trotted out about the 97 League cup win is unadulterated bollocks

• Like 3
  • Haha 1