Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

7 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Maybe you right and the targets are over ambitious, but it is speculation.  I would be surprised if the ambition of Rodgers and his scout was not agreed with the club before Rodgers took the job, so the club would have known what they were taking on if they did their due diligence correctly.

Based on the evidence in front of me however I believe it's more likely the issues are financial.

Worth mentioning the search of a centre defender pre dates COVID 

• Thanks 1

On 13/09/2020 at 02:12, NeilLCFC said:

This place has really turned to shite. We have the best owners in football, who have delivered unthinkable success. Some of the rubbish on here makes it sound like we’re owned by Mike Ashley.

People questioning if Top still cares or if it was all Vichai’s vision and he’s lost interest 🤯. The reason they bought the club was because Top watched us at Wembley in the 1997 league cup final and supported us ever since.

@mods please find a way to get this forum back to the way things were before 15/16. 

I don't think asking for censorship of opinion is the way to go, not everyone will have the same opinion.

For me calling some else's opinion rubbish is been disrespectful, the one time I felt I went over the line I came back on here and apologised.

I am going to check the accounts again though as someone mentioned the figures in the media are wrong and it wouldnt be the first time a journalist has messed up, if it is the case they are pumping in close to 20 million for sponsorship then I am ok with it.

On 13/09/2020 at 07:31, volpeazzurro said:

You seem to suggest that the club have a habit of or even relish the idea of late deals. This is very much the view of a football fan and not someone who lives in the real world of business. Transfers are multimillion pounds complex investments and are what they are. Every million pounds and perhaps a lot less will have to be in real terms justified, whereas some fans talk of a million pounds like greedy children or  participants in a computer game.

Some of our past deals have been made reasonably quickly, some have come out of the blue without us even having heard of the target. Some occurred late and no doubt many, that we are unaware of, following prolonged negotiations, didn't occur at all. I'm sure Whelan and Rudkin are acutely aware that it is advantageous for a manager to have his new players before pre-season ideally but, like life, business isn't always like that. I'm sure Rodgers knows that too otherwise he'd be really really thick.

Transfers are like any other form of deal, if you are buying a house or a car, if the deal isn't sound  you negotiate some more and if still not right, you pull out altogether. 

We don't want any more Slimani's or Silva's, neither do we need anymore mediocrity that merely adds to, rather than improve the squad. The latter, in particular, is not an easy task as we already have some very decent players. If you can't buy well, you don't buy at all in the greedy, agent infested world of football hype. If subsequently we don't make any more signings it will not, I feel, be through a lack of ambition or considerable effort but more for sound business reasons.

Contrary to your inferrence, I believe Rodgers thus far, has been backed with a squad of players considerably better than our last manager who also inherited other problems. It is an ongoing project with shifting budgetary constraints perhaps partly due to the current situation football finds itself in and the way our owners intend to mitigate these uncertain times in both the short-term and longer term. In the short term, Rodgers will just have to suck it up, not whine, and just get on with his job in a dignified manner. He needs to rise to the challenge of being a good football manager with what he's got in changing circumstances, something thus far he seems to be not very good at doing. If results start going down hill again like the latter half of last season and, if Rodgers starts blaming it on lack of investment, then for me you'll see a football charlatan in all his glory just making excuses in order to deflect from his own inadequacies in a clamour in to keep his own ego and media darling reputation in tact. Without any additions, Rodgers already has a squad better than many managers in the Premiership. He needs to think more about managing the team and less about himself and his career.

Its good a manager whines, if it means he gets a better team and in turn gets us better results.  Part of his problem last season he was for sure too polite with his statements.

Also I dont suggest the club relishes it, why would they, they not out to sabotage the manager, I just think they dont value the importance enough of season prep.

Also please dont talk down to me as if I am a child, or have no understanding of business, I am one of the few on here who has even read the accounts, I dont just have blind "good will".

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I think we should give credit where it's due, Brendan pretty much got everything spot on against WBA.

Well he adapted after WBA played a completely new system. Give him credit there. 

Although, you feel like he knew we’d have enough to beat them and had confidence. Just wished he showed the same confidence in the players when we face off against the top sides

3 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Its good a manager whines, if it means he gets a better team and in turn gets us better results.  Part of his problem last season he was for sure too polite with his statements.

Also I dont suggest the club relishes it, why would they, they not out to sabotage the manager, I just think they dont value the importance enough of season prep.

Also please dont talk down to me as if I am a child, or have no understanding of business, I am one of the few on here who has even read the accounts, I dont just have blind "good will".

Firstly Chrysalis, it certainly wasn't my intention to appear to be speaking down to you so I apologise unreservedly if I've worded my reply clumsily. 

With regards to Rodgers, presumably when he signed his new contract he would have been fully aware in regards to how much the club were willing to invest. If they've renaged on that in normal times that may of course be an issue. However, if they've had to change strategy in the short term due to the uncertainties then both parties should reasonably accept that. In which case Rodgers should be, in my opinion, be quite circumspect in how he addresses the media, perhaps even in a conciliatory tone in support of the club's efforts, particularly if he's aware of any current real attempts to bring new players in. I just get the impression when I listen to Rodgers that there's always an element of the 'me' in the conversation in a 'covering his own back' way before that of his team. His comments to me tend to smack of the foundations of an excuse for if all doesn’t go as well as he hopes and if the teams poor form carries on from last year. You could see the excuses being more to do with lack of investment rather than his poor management skills.

You only have to look at the new players Everton put out yesterday to see us slipping behind but yet again, a manager like Ancellotti is always going to be more of a pull than Rodgers who, in real terms, has achieved very little. We are still effectively a small club. I'm fairly confident that we're still trying to bring more signings in before the deadline but won't be taken for mugs either.

Edited by volpeazzurro

Interesting to read all of the respective opinions above. I cannot imagine that BR would have said what he said without the club knowing his thoughts, and I also seriously doubt it's a shot across the bows either - I would think that everyone will be as frustrated as him, but there is still time to rectify the situation.

If the team can continue to play as they did 2nd half yesterday, it should ease the pressure on all concerned, and also it might persuade dithering targets to sign too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

If the team can continue to play as they did 2nd half yesterday, it should ease the pressure on all concerned, and also it might persuade dithering targets to sign too.

Yes it will. A promising start to the season under the circumstances but let's remember that we played a poor WBA side yesterday.

I imagine that Burnley will be a tougher nut to crack and then it will be Man City. It would only take a couple of poor results and the Rodgers haters will be out in force.

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Firstly Chrysalis, it certainly wasn't my intention to appear to be speaking down to you so I apologise unreservedly if I've worded my reply clumsily. 

With regards to Rodgers, presumably when he signed his new contract he would have been fully aware in regards to how much the club were willing to invest. If they've renaged on that in normal times that may of course be an issue. However, if they've had to change strategy in the short term due to the uncertainties then both parties should reasonably accept that. In which case Rodgers should be, in my opinion, be quite circumspect in how he addresses the media, perhaps even in a conciliatory tone in support of the club's efforts, particularly if he's aware of any current real attempts to bring new players in. I just get the impression when I listen to Rodgers that there's always an element of the 'me' in the conversation in a 'covering his own back' way before that of his team. His comments to me tend to smack of the foundations of an excuse for if all doesn’t go as well as he hopes and if the teams poor form carries on from last year. You could see the excuses being more to do with lack of investment rather than his poor management skills.

You only have to look at the new players Everton put out yesterday to see us slipping behind but yet again, a manager like Ancellotti is always going to be more of a pull than Rodgers who, in real terms, has achieved very little. We are still effectively a small club. I'm fairly confident that we're still trying to bring more signings in before the deadline but won't be taken for mugs either.

Indeed, I dont expect us to be signing ex real madrid players. Also thanks.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Yes it will. A promising start to the season under the circumstances but let's remember that we played a poor WBA side yesterday.

I imagine that Burnley will be a tougher nut to crack and then it will be Man City. It would only take a couple of poor results and the Rodgers haters will be out in force.

I missed the game, and the bbc highlights were poor, so hard to judge how we played as it was just bare minimum highlights.  But a promising start, interestingly the bbc on motd have picked up on barnes poor conversion ratio, but I would rather barnes be creating those chances instead of how he was for 2nd part of season where he went missing almost every game, so its good to see him playing a part in games again.

Hopefully Rodgers goes back to how he was at the start of last season, if he does then I have a positive mindset how we move forward, it all depends which Rodgers we get.

On 12/09/2020 at 23:47, Raw Dykes said:

I was just going to ask you if you were an only child with rich, divorced parents, but then I decided to give you a bit more credit.

I'll say you've not done a totally awful job of making it seem as though backing the owners or wanting them gone are equally valid viewpoints, but I have to say it appears as though you either have a very short memory, are extremely short-sighted, or have completely lost all perspective.

I don't know how long you've been a City fan, but I grew up watching us yo-yoing between the top two divisions and struggling in the Championship. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought we'd be in anything remotely like the position we find ourselves in now, and I'm an optimistic person. As if winning a PL title wasn't enough (saying that still doesn't seem right. I don't think it will ever really sink in at this point), we've quickly put together another all-time great Leicester side that's heading into Europe again and getting ready to move into a £100m state-of-the-art, envy-of-the-nation training ground. Not to mention the plans to expand the stadium. If Carlsberg did football club owners, they wouldn't be half as good as ours.

Do you not see any risk in a change of ownership? Do you think that if the owners sold the club, the buyers would automatically be better? If you do, I've got bad news. The likelihood that new owners would be worse than the current ones are so strong that we might as well call it a dead certainty. Just have a look around. How many clubs do you think have better owners than us? How many clubs have owners that the fans can't stand?

The owners have so much credit built up, they would have to do a whole lot of fuching up before I even entertained the idea of wanting rid.

Spot on!!The club is moving in the right direction for sure.Probably not quick enough for some impatient fans,but like you said watching the team yo-yo between divisions so often pissed me right off!!

Top and his team are not stupid,and if they make plenty of money out of it,I’m not going to complain.

The club has never been in a better position!:scarf:

• 2 weeks later...