Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

3 hours ago, chapero82 said:

Reckon this is smoke and mirrors though? Surely if KP are putting money in through sponsorship, this is just money that would otherwise go on transfers. It’s not like it’s money coming from another (different) source

26 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Which you can understand to be honest. That's why I couldn't understand our fans being fine with finishing 5th. It'll have more implications than just no champions league football this season

I think a lot of people who one might regard as 'fine' with 5th were probably (and quite understandably) employing a coping mechanism. 

Just now, adam95581 said:

Reckon this is smoke and mirrors though? Surely if KP are putting money in through sponsorship, this is just money that would otherwise go on transfers. It’s not like it’s money coming from another (different) source

KP Haven’t put money into the club for years 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I often wondered if that was deliberately left like that as a ‘nuclear option’ should the owners have to inject eg 20m to cover an unexpected emergency on the budget re FFP or similar 

otherwise there is no real explanation why we would just give up income like that, year after year .....not one I want to think about too deeply anyway because it really doesn’t fit with the club narrative.....

I thought so too, but really it’s a way to get the KP name across the globe unfortunately for the club itself we have outgrown it now as we need more than 4M a year from sponsorships IMO this transfer window has really showed that 

26 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

KP Haven’t put money into the club for years 

Well they technically have. They aren’t getting the shirt and stadium sponsorship completely free. 
If you mean by providing cash injections for nothing in return then I’d agree with you. 
Don’t think you’re allowed to do that to excess with FFP in place anyway. 

Some won’t want to hear this but King Power are likely making money from the club these days rather than putting money in (and that therefore being how we are able/unable to do transfers). What some of the posts in here have shown is that they are probably also getting brand exposure through the shirt and stadium sponsorship below the going rate.

The reason, if any, behind being unable to spend, or having to watch what we spend, is likely because of the amounts being spent on the training ground and potential stadium expansion. These are not gifts from the owners, it’s a choice by the club to spend on that infrastructure from the assets and wealth the club has.

But it could potentially leave us in a situation like Arsenal were in where the playing budget was severely hampered for years by paying for the new stadium. At that point the question (if you really want to get to the level you are trying to build the infrastructure for) should be, why are King Power not putting money in?

And if they are unable to, maybe it’s time to sell and step aside...

Edited by Freeman's Wharfer
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Well they technically have. They aren’t getting the shirt and stadium sponsorship completely free. 
If you mean by providing cash injections for nothing in return then I’d agree with you. 
Don’t think you’re allowed to do that to excess with FFP in place anyway. 

They can put in 30m/year I think on top of any sponsorships 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chapero82 said:

And the £4m figure is wrong. It says quite clearly in the accounts that KP paid £16m for sponsorship of the shirt and stadium for season end 2019. I don't know how that relates to others around us.

I'd agree somewhat with Rodgers about the lack of depth in the squad. SInce the double whammy last Christmas we've hardly had our full squad together. We missed out badly in the January transfer window. Another N'Didi, Tielemans or a Huth might have got us over the line.

It's a bit rich for him to be saying it now though. Waiting until the end of the season to speak out. Hero to many if we got to the Champions League, but blaming the board when it goes wrong. His 5 year contract might also have something to do with funds.

If its a case of board or Brendan its the board 9 times out of 10. They haven't always got it right but they've been dealy with a fairly miserable hand of late.

Get off to a bad start and he won't be our manager by the end of the season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

I'd agree somewhat with Rodgers about the lack of depth in the squad. SInce the double whammy last Christmas we've hardly had our full squad together. We missed out badly in the January transfer window. Another N'Didi, Tielemans or a Huth might have got us over the line.

It's a bit rich for him to be saying it now though. Waiting until the end of the season to speak out. Hero to many if we got to the Champions League, but blaming the board when it goes wrong. His 5 year contract might also have something to do with funds.

If its a case of board or Brendan its the board 9 times out of 10. They haven't always got it right but they've been dealy with a fairly miserable hand of late.

Get off to a bad start and he won't be our manager by the end of the season.

Would be thick if the board expected a good start with this squad! Let’s not waste money sacking managers. Fofana, two wingers and edouard are required for a good season. If he’s backed and we’re still rubbish than fair enough. But don’t expect miracles when you have 1 top class striker and crap wingers! 

Edited by Heymister2015

On 10/09/2020 at 23:44, John12345 said:

You can get 25 to 1 on him in the PL sack race . I don't think its a bad bet.

I agree that seems very loose odds.

I remember when they were loose on shakespeare, on shakespeare I treated it as free money as at the time he was on a very bad run.  I got something like 8/1 when it was really obvious he was going to get sacked.

9 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Has he been backed any less than another manager would have been?

I think you're skewing the facts when you say, "We have sold two of our best assets and not reinvested from the funds received." We've been selling one important player each year for a few seasons, now, and that remains the case. Last summer, we sold Maguire and brought in Tielemans, Perez, Justin and Praet. That's £80m in and about £90m out. I don't think there's anything out of the ordinary about that.

You could argue that we didn't do enough in January, and with hindsight, it certainly looks that way. However, at that time, we looked nailed-on for CL, and were clearly looking to strengthen at CB, but couldn't find value for money. I totally understand the club's decision not to blow £40m-£50m on a single player who, at the time, looked much like a vastly over-priced luxury.

As for Chilwell, we have already replaced him with a 24-year old, highly-regarded Belgium international who both Rodgers and the club have tracked for a long time, and have 3 more weeks to strengthen the squad. It certainly appears that we're trying to sign at least a CB and a winger. There could be further additions after that. I don't think it's really fair to judge whether or not the manager has been backed until the window is shut, but I'd argue the evidence suggests he will be.

I'd agree that the squad lacks depth. Until the season just gone, we'd had an excellent record with injuries for quite a long time. The amount of key players missing last season really exposed our deficiencies, and adding depth is something that will take some time to address.

While missing out on CL was gutting, we still finished 5th, which is above what I think most of us would have expected this time last year.

I agree on waiting till the window is shut to judge if he has been backed, but I think delaying deals so can save a few million is not the way to go, it upsets preparations and risks deals not been done, (remember silva saga).  Our players should have been brought in probably at least 2 weeks before the first league game.  Also if you delay and the other club suddenly says no (because they been messed around, or someone else nabbed the player) you then end up maybe doing panic signings instead or no one at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adam95581 said:

It indicates they not bending backwards to invest, some owners do things like buy the stadium from the club as they so desperate to put money in, whilst KP is having us take out loans from banks to fund cash flow, and has a very cheap sponsorship deal.

Most interesting aspect of latest BR video for me, was the comment that Rudders was in contact with Top, not BR with Top. Have begun to think the unthinkable, that LCFC was his Dads passion, not Tops and he's lost interest. He's okay with LCFC whilst it's not costing him anything? Was BR oversold on the funds / King Power project and now the reality is beginning to dawn on him, and this is being subconciously communicated to the players. Truth will out and I guess we'll know by end of window and by results up to Christmas. Desperate to be wrong.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

It indicates they not bending backwards to invest, some owners do things like buy the stadium from the club as they so desperate to put money in, whilst KP is having us take out loans from banks to fund cash flow, and has a very cheap sponsorship deal.

We’re operating within our means. I can’t believe people are even questioning the way the club is run. 

For a club of our size, pumping money into the team doesn’t equal success. Just look at Everton and West Ham - they’re so badly run, spend loads most years and have very little to show for it. Equally, we’re not on the same scale as Chelsea, Man City etc. 

I’d much rather than we had a strategy and stuck to it - e.g. Dortmund, even Liverpool to some extent. They buy players young / from less glamorous sides and gamble that they can make it (Gomez, Robinson etc)

Trust the process. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Most interesting aspect of latest BR video for me, was the comment that Rudders was in contact with Top, not BR with Top. Have begun to think the unthinkable, that LCFC was his Dads passion, not Tops and he's lost interest. He's okay with LCFC whilst it's not costing him anything? Was BR oversold on the funds / King Power project and now the reality is beginning to dawn on him, and this is being subconciously communicated to the players. Truth will out and I guess we'll know by end of window and by results up to Christmas. Desperate to be wrong.

We still don't know who they've tried to get and failed and who they're still in for. No point in buying merely more squad player's and stupid to pay way over the top like Manchester United did for Maguire. It's frustrating I know but it's business not a bottomless pit computer game. The same goes far the January window, you can't buy who won't come or who a club won't sell for other than a ransom. I don't think it's over yet and if they could have got signings completed 3 weeks ago I'm sure they would have done.

Any sympathy I have with Rodgers over funds is tempered by his wages. Even half would be an exceptional salary.

It's put him in a great position of being paid incredibly well and pretty secure in his job regardless of results.

Yes the squad needs improving but he needs to improve what he's got, too.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

I'd wondered this too. Also, constantly going back to the place your father died in a horrific accident must be incredibly painful; plus your business being hit by the pandemic, it's pretty understandable if that is the case.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

They bought the Stadium and put it back in the name of Leicester City. Now you want Top to personally buy it again?

Edited by Vestan Pance

14 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Most interesting aspect of latest BR video for me, was the comment that Rudders was in contact with Top, not BR with Top. Have begun to think the unthinkable, that LCFC was his Dads passion, not Tops and he's lost interest. He's okay with LCFC whilst it's not costing him anything? Was BR oversold on the funds / King Power project and now the reality is beginning to dawn on him, and this is being subconciously communicated to the players. Truth will out and I guess we'll know by end of window and by results up to Christmas. Desperate to be wrong.

Same suspicion, but won’t go as far as saying he might have “lost interest”.
Rather, I am concerned that he just might not have quite the same depth of vision (and chutzpah) that his dad did for City.