Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

We need 2 new players bare minimum (CB and a winger/forward). We also need to move on the dreaded 3 in Slimani, Silva and Ghezzal and loan out a load of youth players. If a fringe player like Choudhury or Gray went we'd need to replace them but 2 new signings in priority posutions would be a decent start.

• Like 2

I think some of those on the free transfer list will start coming back into focus soon if we can't get key deals over the line. Those sorts of players will provide the squad depth, rather than being key starters

Still on there (not saying i'd take these, but they're of the right level):

- Mario Gotze

- Nat Clyne

- Daniel Sturridge

- Edison Cavani

- Jose Callejon 

- Pato

- Chupo Moting

- Lusamba (we've been linked in the past)

Be interesting, imagine some Prem clubs will start taking short term punts on some of those soon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

People need to realise we don't have a bottomless pit of money.

We have top negotiate hard as it my be the difference between getting in 3-4 players rather than 2.

We will probably spend the Chilwell money +20m by the close of the window. 

Agreed. I think the reason we're doing our business later in the window is to get the best deals. I think we're doing that for the reason you say - to make our budget go further.

I think we'll try to get a CB and a RW, then, budget permitting, a no.8 or another CB.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd be horrified if he was positive to be honest, he knows there's no way this squad is prepared and Rudkin needs to earn his coin. I think he will, Rudkin's going to land us Fofana and a winger in the next 10 days.

I do think that in order to negotiate good deals, patience is required - and it takes time - especially in this climate.  Sometimes clubs on the other end may stall hoping for a better offer to come along. But it's good to hear Brendan speak up.

@Muzzy_Larsson Is this the start of it, do you reckon? You’ve been saying he wouldn’t shy away from making his feelings known regarding transfers. That to me sounds like he’s planting the seed. 

I don’t ****ing blame him mind. He is right we haven’t got a big enough squad and we haven’t got enough quality, especially when we’ve lost really good players over the last few years. Makes me think that we’re not quite done in the transfer market yet - but if we don’t manage to land the targets we want he can turn around and say “told you so” 

Fofana seems like a good signing if we can make it happen. But we really need another different kind of Striker for when there's no space for Vardy.

As to the Winger, I think it's stick or twist with Gray. We need to put him in the team and leave him there for a while to see does he kick on. Or else sell him now and buy a new Winger.

27 minutes ago, Manini said:

@Muzzy_Larsson Is this the start of it, do you reckon? You’ve been saying he wouldn’t shy away from making his feelings known regarding transfers. That to me sounds like he’s planting the seed. 

I don’t ****ing blame him mind. He is right we haven’t got a big enough squad and we haven’t got enough quality, especially when we’ve lost really good players over the last few years. Makes me think that we’re not quite done in the transfer market yet - but if we don’t manage to land the targets we want he can turn around and say “told you so” 

I don't blame Rodgers, either. I'd much rather him say that than say he's happy with the squad as it is.

I'd agree that the squad isn't big enough, but I think we've done very well in the transfer market over the last few years. Only losing one important player and adding more than one each year.

Since the awful 2016 summer window:

In:

Iheanacho

Maguire

Out:

Drinkwater

In:

Ricardo

Maddison

Evans

Soyuncu

Out:

Mahrez

In:

Tielemans

Perez

Justin

Praet

Out:

Maguire

I'm sure there's more to come over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I'd have some sympathy with Rodgers but he's brought his ****ing mate in to try and get those players. 

So, in other words, the reason the squad is short is Congerton? 

Perhaps someone higher up the chain is more answerable for the lack of incoming players. 

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

So, in other words, the reason the squad is short is Congerton? 

Perhaps someone higher up the chain is more answerable for the lack of incoming players. 

Part of Congerton's job will be identifying the realistic possibility of the players joining Leicester. No point scouting players you can't sign or have. You have to be in dialogue with agents around them. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Manini said:

Scary parallels from what happened at Celtic, a bad start to the season and he'll start throwing people under the bus. In fairness to him as much as I don't think he spend the guts of £100m wisely last summer I don't think he's been given proper backing in this window, as yet anyway.

• Like 2

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

Part of Congerton's job will be identifying the realistic possibility of the players joining Leicester. No point scouting players you can't sign or have. You have to be in dialogue with agents around them. 

Fine. That doesn't make it solely his fault though, does it?

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

So would you prefer he said "yes, our squad is strong enough", which we all know is a lie.... He was asked a direct question and answered it honestly. 

I'm more positive knowing he acknowledges the issues at hand. 

Our team should be strong enough to see us with 3 or 4 wins out of 5 in the first few games, no excuses honestly as negative as everyone is on here we have the quality in the team to start this season well, if we dont it's on the manager not the squad or the board. By november we should have maddison, ricardo and evans back so pretty much first team so despite worse fixtures we should be competing from there as well. Rodgers is doing all he can to deflect but we have enough quality in the squad and on the bench to at least be competing for 7th and a decent push in europa as things are.

• Haha 2

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

Fine. That doesn't make it solely his fault though, does it?

He's the head of scouting and therefore has a pretty big say in it. 

You'll have Rudkin and possibly Andrew Neville involved too. I remember back from the era of Steve Walsh as head scout here; the club would identify players in a lot of cases on the basis of their contractural status. If a player is in his final two years of a contract, he's more likely to move. 

We've seen and heard of this before at Celtic. Cryarsing about transfers whilst his mate plays a huge role in identifying the players. You can't bemoan a system that you've helped create. 

This is coming from someone who has defended Lee Congleton in the past as he has very little transfer record here what to speak of. However, we couldn't identify a realistic decent CB target in January and we appear to be strugglING to the point we have our biggest target going public to the French press. 

8 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Our team should be strong enough to see us with 3 or 4 wins out of 5 in the first few games, no excuses honestly as negative as everyone is on here we have the quality in the team to start this season well, if we dont it's on the manager not the squad or the board. By november we should have maddison, ricardo and evans back so pretty much first team so despite worse fixtures we should be competing from there as well. Rodgers is doing all he can to deflect but we have enough quality in the squad and on the bench to at least be competing for 7th and a decent push in europa as things are.

Ambitious baring in mind we won 6 from our last 22

or 3 from final 14

Edited by HankMarvin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully him saying we’ve not got a big enough squad will put the pressure on, and to be fair we look like we don’t know what we’re doing. Going all out to get a player that’s played 17 pro games is embarrassing. I’d like him but we need players to hit the ground running not one for next season!

18 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Cracks appearing...

Why though? Because he's stating the bleeding obvious?

We never were in the running to begin with and last season was the last chance to fluke the CL before a very long while. Just have a look at the top 6 shopping list and ours. If he gets us there this season, it will be a managerial masterclass.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 2

The club will do what it can provided the parameters of the situation. As if anyone knows what they are. Looking forward to enjoying the season and watching Rodgers do what he does best. Making it better. Happy scapegoating.