Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

17 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Our team should be strong enough to see us with 3 or 4 wins out of 5 in the first few games, no excuses honestly as negative as everyone is on here we have the quality in the team to start this season well, if we dont it's on the manager not the squad or the board. By november we should have maddison, ricardo and evans back so pretty much first team so despite worse fixtures we should be competing from there as well. Rodgers is doing all he can to deflect but we have enough quality in the squad and on the bench to at least be competing for 7th and a decent push in europa as things are.

But the question was regarding 4 competitions and we simply don't have the squad depth for that. The end of last season should be enough to shake anyone awake at the club. 

5 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

But the question was regarding 4 competitions and we simply don't have the squad depth for that. The end of last season should be enough to shake anyone awake at the club. 

In addition to lacking depth, my biggest concern was the unfathomable capitulation against Bournemouth, the likes of which had been previously erased from our DNA. Also, as you say, the current run of form which is diabolical. After an underwhelming season, I fully expect Madders, Ricky, Ndidi, Söyüncü and possibly Tielemans to have their heads turned and it isn't inconceivable that we could lose all five - add to that Evans. On top of this we have the prospect of the continuation of Brendan's one dimensional tactics and stubborn inability to adapt. 

As I have suggested, although we have some very promising talent waiting in the wings (actually, a decent winger is exactly what we need right now), a state of the art training ground to develop this in addition to wealthy, ambitious, proactive owners, I believe that we are entering a dangerous transitional phase which will require the faith, fortitude and test the resolve of the owners, players and fans alike. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

League cup isnt important, any attempt at this using first teamers will be bad decision making, there are enough fixtures as it is, most teams that arent top 6 wont be competing for this this year anyway, if we drop out early who cares it's unlikely we will win, europa league group stage should be more than doable with rotation between first team and bench unless we get unlucky with the draw, FA cup doesnt start for a while. I stand by my claim that we have enough of a squad to compete where it counts and that's the PL and europa and maybe FA cup, if rodgers wants to jeopardize our PL season for the league cup so he can mark his tenure here with a bit of silverware then that's on him.

Edited by honeybradger
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

League cup isnt important, there are enough fixtures as it is, most teams that arent top 6 wont be competing for this this year anyway, if we drop out early who cares it's unlikely we will win, europa league group stage should be more than doable with rotation between first team and bench unless we get unlucky with the draw, FA cup doesnt start for a while. I stand by my claim that we have enough of a squad to compete where it counts and that's the PL and europa and maybe FA cup, if rodgers wants to jeopardize our PL season for the league cup so he can mark his tenure here with a bit of silverware then that's on him.

I have to say, I disagree. I think we are a few injuries away from being bang average and I feel that the last few games of last year proves that. 

I really think we are reaching a perfect storm this season. Bad form going into it, injured first team players, tactically sussed out, a demanding fixture schedule, a weak squad and a manager with form of either losing his head or having it turned. To be honest I’m struggling for things to be positive about. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I really think we are reaching a perfect storm this season. Bad form going into it, injured first team players, tactically sussed out, a demanding fixture schedule, a weak squad and a manager with form of either losing his head or having it turned. To be honest I’m struggling for things to be positive about. 

You don’t have to be in a stadium to watch it 

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

I'm the least sympathetic towards Brendan going but hes got a point- hes not being backed. Which other clubs would have sold 2 of their key assets in the last 12 months but still talking about challenging the top 6?

Can’t argue with that. So true

2 hours ago, adam said:

He is exactly right. Its the start of the new season and we are having to play a midfielder as centre half. Not acceptable really. Still at least 3 players short 

Completely correct. No manager would be happy with the situation that we have at the moment &  had for the last few games of last season, where team selection has virtually been dictated by the 11 players who were fit or available.

This should have been addressed by now, failing to do so may cost us dearly.

There is no doubt that Brendan has made his views clear. Not sorting out a centre back this summer or for that matter in January is poor IMO. The preoccupation with making a profit by bringing in cheaper young talent we can sell on has to be balanced by the job that needs doing now not in 2-3 years time. I remember Matt Elliot was over 28 when he came to us and still made well  over 200 appearances- you could get that with Tarkowski but we try to get a bargain with the inexperienced  Fofana and still seem to be offering £30 odd million.We need a mix of youth and trusted experience and we need it now because nobody is going to give players away for 50% discount in the last week of the window if that is the plan.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AjcW said:

I think some of those on the free transfer list will start coming back into focus soon if we can't get key deals over the line. Those sorts of players will provide the squad depth, rather than being key starters

Still on there (not saying i'd take these, but they're of the right level):

- Mario Gotze

- Nat Clyne

- Daniel Sturridge

- Edison Cavani

- Jose Callejon 

- Pato

- Chupo Moting

- Lusamba (we've been linked in the past)

Be interesting, imagine some Prem clubs will start taking short term punts on some of those soon.

Holy hell, had no idea Gotze and Cavani were out of contract.

Crazy to think Cavani is actually a year younger than Vardy.
Sod's law dictates that even if we were serious about twisting on a Cavani or a Gotze, of the people on this list, we'd end up with Nathaniel bloody Clyne. :plancque:

3 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

I'm the least sympathetic towards Brendan going but hes got a point- hes not being backed. Which other clubs would have sold 2 of their key assets in the last 12 months but still talking about challenging the top 6?

This exactly. You can’t blame Rodgers for being pissed. He is forced into potentially starting a world class DM at CB. He’s had three windows. Signed two first team players, one player (who I rate) who was bought for his potential a disastrous loan signing and a FB. You can’t expect players to buy into your “we will challenge the top 6” regularly ethos if you’re selling assets and not replacing them. Our squad was never big enough to go through two windows with 1 permanent signing. 

I still think the side we put out on Sunday and against Burnley have the potential to get a result but the club at a higher level need to consider what they’re about. 

1 hour ago, Hales said:

I quite like angry p*ssed off Brendan as opposed to monotone media friendly Brendan 😏

I’d just like Brendan to sort himself out, realise that you ain’t knocking a wall down with your head and grow some balls. Then he might actually have the nuts to accept he can be wrong. We might get somewhere then. 

• Like 3

2 weeks until we play Man City.

by that time Evans and Maddison should be back and we’ll have 3 new signings in.

As soon as Ricardo is back (without anyone else getting injured) we’ll be in a strong position 

We’ve got enough to beat West Brom and Burnley with the available players we have. If we do that everyone will be in more of a positive mood 

Edited by Jazzy_Jeff
  • Like 3

Brendan probably hasn’t until this season has a chance to explain what type of player he wants to fit his system. I think Rodgers is being judged unfairly when it comes to transfers because the only transfers he has “made” have been Bennett and Timmy chestnut. I don’t think there’s any danger of Rodgers going, because he can see the long term picture, probably sings to the same tune as the owners too. He’s a good guy with good ideas and he has proven that he is a quality coach and manager.

Currently he does not have all of the resources to fully implement his style, last season he largely got us over performing, my only criticisms came towards the end and the absolute bottle job. But if I’m being honest I think the players need to shoulder a lot of the blame for that. Mainly due to inexperience and a lack of balls. Another year on and hopefully a few more signings around the corner and we will hopefully continue to progress. 

I like Brendan, I like his philosophy and I like his management style, but he needs both patience and the right tools to be able to carry out his role. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

So you're saying we have a chance?

Certain managers build themselves a pretty decent period of patience in advance of when the results start to go dodgy. Unfortunately for him, Rodgers isn’t one.

I get the sense a large part of the fan base have struggled to take to him as a personality and there’s a sense that we feel he’d cut us loose at the first opportunity to get what he perceives as a bigger job. For me there was a big test of how I would view him after the Bournemouth debacle and he failed it by essentially throwing Iheanacho under the bus rather than fronting up to his own catastrophic decision.

When he starts to moan now, it’s hard to feel sympathy. He’s been backed to the hilt - there’s clearly been money there for him (the Demiral deal in January wasn’t halted because of the financials and we’ve sold a £50m player and an £80m player in the last couple of windows), he was allowed to install his own man at the top of the recruitment department and we gave him a five and a half year contract. I know he doesn’t do the deals but I get the sense that, if you want to be signing the calibre of players we need to be to get to the level we want to be at consistently, you need to have someone in your club with the ear of the super agents. I’m not sure Congerton (or Rudkin for that matter) has that.

This summer break and this window is a real inflection point for us. We all knew we probably needed 5 or 6 and we go into the first game of the season in a criminally under-prepared manner in terms of personnel. He’d better hope he gets a couple of results early doors in the new season as the reserves of fan patience he’ll be able to draw on don’t run deep following the collapse last season, the sound bites from him about how we can’t compete and the debacle of a window we’ve had.

• Like 1