Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

11 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

I'm the least sympathetic towards Brendan going but hes got a point- hes not being backed. Which other clubs would have sold 2 of their key assets in the last 12 months but still talking about challenging the top 6?

I almost feel like the Maguire/Soyuncu thing has lulled us into this false sense of security. We got a bit lucky, let's be honest.

14 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

I'm the least sympathetic towards Brendan going but hes got a point- hes not being backed. Which other clubs would have sold 2 of their key assets in the last 12 months but still talking about challenging the top 6?

Question is why aren’t the owners backing him? Maybe they are pissed still that we didn’t make champions league?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Question is why aren’t the owners backing him? Maybe they are pissed still that we didn’t make champions league?

Either way they need to make a decision ordinarily to back him or move him on. He hasn't been backed in the market really since he's been here. Tielemans and Perez aside. We have sold two of our best assets and not reinvested from the funds received.

This isn't the way forward for a team who have aspirations of permanently being in the top 6. It was clear to see from the restart we are 4-5 quality players short in our squad. That still remains the case. Its so frustrating because we have seen a great opportunity squandered after our league win, mainly because we weren't ready to be taken to that level then. The foundations are here now and we are letting this slip by.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, manders86 said:

Either way they need to make a decision ordinarily to back him or move him on. He hasn't been backed in the market really since he's been here. Tielemans and Perez aside. We have sold two of our best assets and not reinvested from the funds received.

This isn't the way forward for a team who have aspirations of permanently being in the top 6. It was clear to see from the restart we are 4-5 quality players short in our squad. That still remains the case. Its so frustrating because we have seen a great opportunity squandered after our league win, mainly because we weren't ready to be taken to that level then. The foundations are here now and we are letting this slip by.

We are in a precarious situation, I feel not getting champions league has hamstrung us, In terms of who we could bring in, and the owners have probably conveyed to Rodgers because of the last season’s latter half of the season form, we aren’t going to back you but we are in a catch two situation because without our first 11 we are struggling for quality, and players to make an impact.

Either way it’s a gamble to back him or sack him, that’s the way I see it. Because without investment, and bringing in better players, it’s going to be difficult, when other teams around us are investing.

14 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

It comes down to value, I think the club are calling other clubs bluff by not paying what they’re asking and waiting till the end of the window. The inflated market is higher than the club want to pay and not every club can spend like Chelsea, Man U or a Man C.

This is the difficulty isn’t it. We want to compete with the teams you mentioned but we just can’t spend like them, hence the frustration. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

We are in a precarious situation, I feel not getting champions league has hamstrung us, In terms of who we could bring in, and the owners have probably conveyed to Rodgers because of the last season’s latter half of the season form, we aren’t going to back you but we are in a catch two situation because without our first 11 we are struggling for quality, and players to make an impact.

Either way it’s a gamble to back him or sack him, that’s the way I see it. Because without investment, and bringing in better players, it’s going to be difficult, when other teams around us are investing.

Feels like even more of a gamble not to do either to me. That squad number list is sobering. Its the first season ever I've not been filled with unlimited optimism. I hope I'm wrong.

43 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

You have to throw in COVID19 on top of all that. Whether any crowds will be back into stadiums this season is debatable. So that's a huge drop in revenue along with their actual business which must be effected given how airlines have been hit. Maybe from a purely business/pragmatist pov they might think the opposite. They are backing Rodgers to do well with what he's got for the foreseeable future. We reduce spending, sell a player or two and it supports our finances as Brendan sees out this season finishing 9-6. As mentioned we simply haven't the money to compete with the traditional top 5 clubs.   

2 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Has he been backed any less than another manager would have been?

I think you're skewing the facts when you say, "We have sold two of our best assets and not reinvested from the funds received." We've been selling one important player each year for a few seasons, now, and that remains the case. Last summer, we sold Maguire and brought in Tielemans, Perez, Justin and Praet. That's £80m in and about £90m out. I don't think there's anything out of the ordinary about that.

You could argue that we didn't do enough in January, and with hindsight, it certainly looks that way. However, at that time, we looked nailed-on for CL, and were clearly looking to strengthen at CB, but couldn't find value for money. I totally understand the club's decision not to blow £40m-£50m on a single player who, at the time, looked much like a vastly over-priced luxury.

As for Chilwell, we have already replaced him with a 24-year old, highly-regarded Belgium international who both Rodgers and the club have tracked for a long time, and have 3 more weeks to strengthen the squad. It certainly appears that we're trying to sign at least a CB and a winger. There could be further additions after that. I don't think it's really fair to judge whether or not the manager has been backed until the window is shut, but I'd argue the evidence suggests he will be.

I'd agree that the squad lacks depth. Until the season just gone, we'd had an excellent record with injuries for quite a long time. The amount of key players missing last season really exposed our deficiencies, and adding depth is something that will take some time to address.

While missing out on CL was gutting, we still finished 5th, which is above what I think most of us would have expected this time last year.

No doubt that finishing 5th overall is pleasing, the manner in which we achieved that is concerning though. Im sure we all remember the Peter Taylor form sliding into next season (I'm not comparing Brendan to him) and I hope we get off to a good start.

I'm sure it is clear to all at the club that major investment is needed in players, the fact we haven't and are in a negative net spend (at present) is as worrying to the future and current finance's as much as anything else.

I'm never one to knee jerk, or go over the top, but I'm worried about this season and Brendans presser yesterday made me feel things are far from ok.

26 minutes ago, manders86 said:

No doubt that finishing 5th overall is pleasing, the manner in which we achieved that is concerning though. Im sure we all remember the Peter Taylor form sliding into next season (I'm not comparing Brendan to him) and I hope we get off to a good start.

I'm sure it is clear to all at the club that major investment is needed in players, the fact we haven't and are in a negative net spend (at present) is as worrying to the future and current finance's as much as anything else.

I'm never one to knee jerk, or go over the top, but I'm worried about this season and Brendans presser yesterday made me feel things are far from ok.

Absolutely. Our form has been pretty horrendous since December and it is a major concern. I'm hopeful that starting a new season means we can push the reset button and arrest the slide. I do think we could easily continue to struggle at first, but I think we have a good chance of improving when our injuries clear up and/or we can add a few new players.

I agree - I think everyone at the club knows we need to strengthen the squad, and I've no doubt we are working on it. I think the time to worry about not enough being done is when the transfer window is closed and we can start to see whether what we have is strong enough to cope.

Brendan's presser didn't worry me at all. He wants more signings, but I think it's clear to see that the club are trying to make that happen. I think Rodgers and the club are on the same page in that regard.

• Like 1

Really concerning hearing Brendan say that. Of course any team has to be special to be competing on all four fronts but to instill that kind of negativity before the season has even started is ridiculous. Even Puel would not come up with such a statement.

As for the squad not being big enough, he's had the opportunity to strengthen and so far we've only had Castagne. Whatever the excuses, other clubs have managed to get their players in.

And hardly encouraging for the fringe players we've still got at the club yet not offloaded. If Slimani, Silva etc aren't going to play, why are they still at the club.

Atleast people are finally waking up to the situation, not making excuses and actually asking questions now. (Not that it makes it any better but i'm sick of seeing people making apologies for the situation)

Whether it be excuses from/for Brendan or excuses for the club they're excuses something I do not want to hear certainly not when something could have been done about the situation - not just the here and now but in past seasons but failure to strengthen over recent years whilst selling assets is now going to catch up with us.

4 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

Fair point but why didn't they back him in January abit more. Even so the position we were in - even after the restart we should have made CL and whichever way you look at it the form since January and after the restart is indefensible from both him and the club - both have to shoulder the blame and both need to work together to sort it out something that doesn't seem to be happening.

Now i'm not particularly keen on him or his style but what's the point in paying Brendan whatever we are paying him if they're not going to back him.

Edited by Matt

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Atleast people are finally waking up to the situation, not making excuses now and actually asking questions now.

Whether it be excuses from/for Brendan or excuse for the club they're excuses something I do not want to hear certainly not when something could have been done about the situation.

Fair point but why didn't they back him in January abit more. Even so the position we were in - even after the restart we should have made CL and whichever way you look at it the form since January and after the restart is indefensible from both him and the club - both have to shoulder the blame and both need to work together to sort it out something doesn't seem to be happening.

Now i'm not particularly keen on him or his style but what's the point in paying Brendan whatever we are paying him if you're not going to back him.

I think the idea in jan was to take Demiral on loan with an option to buy. 

I don’t believe we had the spare wage budget available to buy anyone decent. 

and we had just splurged >3m per year on Brendan’s new deal. 

Percy has said that we expect to get fofana done and are trying for brooks.  Now we simply don’t speak about our targets. Who authorised  this for public consumption ?  His usual source or rodgers ?  If rodgers, does it mean we are close to deals on these two or that rodgers is publicising things to put pressure on Rudders to get the deals done.   If the latter, then we really do have problems .....

• Like 1

Sometimes players not signing has nothing to do with Rodgers, Rudders or Congers, it’s where the player wants to go......and if he don’t  fancy Leicester it won’t matter whatever we do. Two examples Sarr being touted for Liverpool in January, someone on here said let’s get Sarr,Fofana, much more money, 5 year deal, EPL, wants to come.....not surprised.....nothing to do with Brendan...

3 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

All conspiracy theorist..Please back off....

Covid..Player movement & Family ties, and our History of enticing Top players ,who the fkkk in his right mind wants to go to Leicester unless in transit...

These last few Pages in this topic...utter & gutter tosh...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Really concerning hearing Brendan say that. Of course any team has to be special to be competing on all four fronts but to instill that kind of negativity before the season has even started is ridiculous. Even Puel would not come up with such a statement.

As for the squad not being big enough, he's had the opportunity to strengthen and so far we've only had Castagne. Whatever the excuses, other clubs have managed to get their players in.

And hardly encouraging for the fringe players we've still got at the club yet not offloaded. If Slimani, Silva etc aren't going to play, why are they still at the club.

Would you rather hear Brendan say he's happy with the squad as it is? There's still plenty of time left to get signings in. If he'd said that after the window's closed, then I'd agree it's not great to hear, but as things stand, I can't see what's wrong with stating the obvious.

It's not his job to get players in. I think we're trying to stretch our budget as far as it will go. If that means leaving business until later in the window, then so be it.

Slimani, Silva, etc. are still at the club because no-one in their right mind wants to pay us to take on their enormous wages. They're expensive mistakes that are very hard to get rid of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

Would you rather hear Brendan say he's happy with the squad as it is? There's still plenty of time left to get signings in. If he'd said that after the window's closed, then I'd agree it's not great to hear, but as things stand, I can't see what's wrong with stating the obvious.

It's not his job to get players in. I think we're trying to stretch our budget as far as it will go. If that means leaving business until later in the window, then so be it.

Slimani, Silva, etc. are still at the club because no-one in their right mind wants to pay us to take on their enormous wages. They're expensive mistakes that are very hard to get rid of.

All very true although I think I'd have more sympathy for him if he'd taken more accountability for his own failings 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I am guessing here, but I imagine that in the end, the club decided it could afford to gamble in January, thinking we'd still manage top 4. We know what happened next. So I imagine that mutual confidence has been affected more than somewhat.

Which you can understand to be honest. That's why I couldn't understand our fans being fine with finishing 5th. It'll have more implications than just no champions league football this season

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chapero82 said:

I often wondered if that was deliberately left like that as a ‘nuclear option’ should the owners have to inject eg 20m to cover an unexpected emergency on the budget re FFP or similar 

otherwise there is no real explanation why we would just give up income like that, year after year .....not one I want to think about too deeply anyway because it really doesn’t fit with the club narrative.....