Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

I said this last season. BR is a great man manager. He seems like the type of guy who can motivate a team and keep morale high.

Last season I criticised his approach in big games as he was too ambitious from minute one and tactically naive a little, but it seems today he turned the corner and conceded we won't be able to go toe to toe with them and frustrated them and then we came out and started to play. Absolutely sensational from him and the way we're looking at the moment isn't far off how we started last season. 

• Like 1

This win has got to do a lot for the confidence of the squad. I have always believed the double loss to ManCity and Liverpool at Christmas is what crushed the team's spirit. It exposed them, and just crushed their confidence for the back end of the season.

A win like this -- with so many players out injured, one of only two signings unavailable, one player playing his first PL game after two years, and coming back after a goal down in the first few minutes  -- it helps you believe, even if there are hiccups in the future. It also instills a lot of faith in your manager, when he changes the teams shape and playing style as massively as Brendan did for this one.

I am thrilled.

• Like 2

He says it all here.  The ability to play possession and counter attacking football. What do you even call that? A club that can play like Barca one night and Athletico Madrid the next. That sounds like a nightmare. Still trying to wrap my head around what I just saw.

Going down to an early goal obviously wasn’t in the plan.

But it didn’t matter cos the plan worked anyway.

Brendan knew they were defensively dodgy (in fact, shite) and that we have got real pace going forward 

So we sat deep, defended and then hit with speed on the counter

Rodgers 1, Pep 0

Was busy after Celtic game today so not seen the match yet (recorded) but from reading a lot of the discussion on here this seems as if it could be a real watershed moment for Rodgers and I mean that in a good way. It sounds like he really altered the approach based on the opposition for once, particularly against the elite sides. Excellent.

Just now, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Was busy after Celtic game today so not seen the match yet (recorded) but from reading a lot of the discussion on here this seems as if it could be a real watershed moment for Rodgers and I mean that in a good way. It sounds like he really altered the approach based on the opposition for once, particularly against the elite sides. Excellent.

Let's hope so. After the first 20 minutes or so it didn't appear that was the case but something switched and we were rampant. Man City inexplicably playing a high line didn't do us any harm either 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Let's hope so. After the first 20 minutes or so it didn't appear that was the case but something switched and we were rampant. Man City inexplicably playing a high line didn't do us any harm either 

Nothing switched. We had a game plan, stuck to it and it worked.

They also missed some good chances from set pieces which certainly did help

55 minutes ago, Corky said:

He's the most ruthless, bullying manager we've had, I reckon. In 18 months we must've won by 3 goals at least ten times.

He kicks teams when they are down, good and proper.

This was what I was coming on here to say. Regardless of what Rodgers achieves or doesn't achieve with us in the future, the amount of times we have absolutely chinned the opposition 3, 4, 5, even 9 goals is astonishing. When we are good we are out of this world good. He deserves a lot of praise for that and really pleased he's got that first win vs a top 4 side and especially away from home and so convincingly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1